Prayers that God answers. Any examples?

by punkofnice 259 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

Ammo I had a very similar experience but it ended up being the thing that woke me up.

I was praying and also blubbering at home. That same morning an elder and his wife showed up at my door. Knowing I was DFed he offered me a bible study and insisted that it was ok because he was an elder. The next week he showed up as scheduled but without a word handed me a meeting schedule and walked away. That wasn't the end for me but definitely a big part of what finally smartened me up when I was ready to leave.

I do think there is something to prayer whether it is something spiritual or something else. Either way that was definitely a big part of me figuring out TTAT.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Yes, I have had prayers answered in concrete, provable uncanny ways, but don't care to discuss it.

The thing is, who knows that God himself answers prayers? Seriously, I don't really know the answers but some speculation or flight of fancy would bring one idea to mind, this is slightly tongue in cheek: perhaps there is someone looking after you, maybe even a staff of people looking after you, in charge of your prayers.

Scenario: you are playing baseball on a team and you pray for your team to win. Someone on the other team prays for his team to win. His staff is bigger and better than your staff, so his team wins. Maybe your staff hates baseball and wishes you did, too, so they make sure your team doesn't win. Maybe your team needs so many votes/prayers in order to act. Maybe the game goes to the team with the majority of people praying for its victory. Maybe your staff is addicted to Candy Crush Saga. A humorous example to show that prayer would not be a simple, you ask for it/you get it. I'm not a Christian. I'm a universalist. Yes, I do pray sometimes. No, I don't have the understanding of prayer that fundamentalist Christians do.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Just before I became a non believer I realised prayer was useless. If we pray to god for help (which you never get anyway apart from doing stuff yourself or other perople helping), what are we actually praying for? Something that requires god to manipulate the natural course of things or freewill of others in our favour?

That's the thing. On the one hand we're told god leaves it to us and on the other we're told he will answer our prayers by bending the natural world or manipulating someone.

Also, what's the use of praying for someone if god is all that? God shouldn't be swayed by the sheer numbers of prayers should it/he/she/them? He/it/whatever should help anyway if god is all it's cracked up to be. If we pray 'in accordance with gods will'....what's the point? If it's god's will then god will do whatever it is. Unless the idiot is so indecisive it needs help.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Didn't Jesus give a Parable about a woman getting justice by nagging the Judge ? just shows that you've got to keep nudging God by praying, or He simply will not get round to doing what you want.

Must be true, Bible sez.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Phizzy - Ah yes. God's 'get out of jail free card'.

I nagged him for years for help...............nothing came my way. Shame, I thought he gave priority to trivial requests rather than feed starving kids.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

I asked your question to a christian friend his answer was " before a prayer God is Nowhere but with the prayer he is Nowhere with you" Yes some can sleep better with these clever replies because i think some people need that, so they believe it.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Sorry punk my above comment didnt clarify he was saying " God is no where, God is Nowhere" its the play on words that impressed him.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

nh&h - Did he mean God is now here?

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Yes punk he meant with a prayer God becomes here with us in that prayer. I think that my christian friend thinks its not what we set out to prayer for that counts, but what we become by having the humility to pray. So by paying God becomes from No Where to Nowhere within our life and comforts us...so all prayers are answerd but not in a practical way..It sort of made sence to me when he said it, gets lost in articulating it in words. But it works for him and his good guy, in a way i envy his faith.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I thought I'd resurrect(tm) this one for the newbies.

I still haven't had any of my earnest honest prayers answered. God hates me or doesn't exist.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit