by punkofnice 259 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wasblind
    wasblind

My sisters said they prayed that I would get outta that cult

Now that I look back. I needed all the help I could get

Prayers included

• Laika
    Laika

I think the most amazing example of a prayer I've seen "answered" was of a friend whose broken back was "healed" after prayer. He'd fallen off a cliff and suffered constant pain for about 6 months. The pain disappeared instantly during the prayer and has not come back. Shortly afterwards when he went for a scan (prior to a scheduled operation where he was told there was a small chance his spine would collapse and he'd never walk again) it was found that his spine had been perfectly fused together and he didn't need the operation. It was made all the remarkable to me (and him) that he'd resisted the prayer and been rudely forced into agreeing with it because he believed faith healing was nonsense.

Anyway, I'm not obstinately closed to alternative explanations and having been hesitant to share hope that any possible response is not to call my honesty and intelligence into question...

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Laika - That's an interesting story and I appreciate you are open minded about it. Thank you.

I guess on the back of that (no pun intended), I'd have to ask: Why would God cure this blokes back but not feed the starving? Not heal every believer. It seems a bit non sensical.....if you get my drift.

• Laika
    Laika

Punk, it's a very natural question that has certainly occurred to me (and him, incidentally) I don't have an answer and happen to agree that it makes no sense, though it doesn't really change the fact that something happened.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hello Punky

I still ask why also, God is not supposed to be partial

but it seem he has his picks

I often see car plates that read " Favored "

I feel that the outward expression on a car plate

flies in the face of the less fortunate like an advertisement

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

I don’t quite understand this idea that Jesus is God’s revelation of Truth to the world when he answers just as many prayers of Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists and all the other religions just as much as he answers the prayers of Christians. He obviously doesn’t care what religion you are, so why send Jesus at all? And if he does care what religion you are, why does he answer the prayers of people from every religion?

• mynameislame
  • Mary
    Mary

PunkofNice asked: Any one here believe they ever had a prayer answered in an obvious way?

I'll let you know just as soon as I check my lottery tickets from Wednesday night.

• ammo
    ammo

At the risk of being ridiculed, I'll answer your question.....

I hate to say it because it does seem to open up a can of worms, and its so easy to read stuff people have experienced and say 'yeah right'

I was living in NZ at the time,and was down out and blubbering, I prayed to godto hear me and help me, withing minutes there was a knock at the door and a circut overseer, his wife and another witness were there I had lived there 2 years previously and never had a JW at the door, we were going camping near a place called whangarei and I desperately wanted to, after talking to them, find a khall up there, we drove around for a good half hour or more trying to find a phone book intact, than decided to stop at the servo and get some ice-the cold watery kind-and while my man was in there I said 'ok jehovah if you want me to know you, you have to show me where you are' well as I finished saying that i looked to the street corner we were on it said the name of the street and under it was kingdom hall Jehovahs witnesses. It freaked the both of us out, and I will never forget it, I think that and a few other 'personal experiences' was why it was so hard to let it go, I was not someone that just heard other people's tale's I actually experienced it. of course now after 2 years out and never going back, I have had to realise that shit happens and you just can't explain it.

Nowadays

I think of Tim Minchins song 'thank you god for fixing the cateracts of sams mum' and have to agree.

• SuperBoy
    SuperBoy

I couldn't find my keys the other day, I prayed, and they turned up. In my coat pocket! Praise be!

*Oh, has someone done that joke?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit