My chat with 2 Dubs yesterday about UN membership

by jookbeard 345 Replies latest jw experiences

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Must say, the more I hear on this particular site, the more inclined I am to feel that they do in fact have the truth.

This is your life. Do with it what you will.

Why are you posting here? What is your objective?

• justlookingfornow
    justlookingfornow

Punkofnice, the worlds largest arms dealers sit as permanant members of the UN security council, I think that speaks

volumes about the nature of the beast.

As for why I'm posting here, my objective........what does it matter? Do you care?

• justlookingfornow
    justlookingfornow

Actually, that last bit was a bit rude, sorry about that. I suppose my "objective" was to discuss the JW's with people who had either been brought

up as a jw or who had been jw's, to gain different perspectives.

• Kallam
    Kallam

Jlfn, everything that you are posting is a documented lie. Since you refuse to look at the link I will post it here where you cannot ignore as easily. Continue to believe the ridiculous explanations if you choose, however be aware that the truth is literally 2 or 3 clicks and 5 minutes of reading a way.

In a letter to the Branches, membership was explained away as the Watchtower's research department requiring access to United Nations library, claiming that in 1991 it became necessary to register as an NGO to have continued access. It also claimed it left on learning the "criteria for association as an NGO's" had changed. A similar letter was sent to the Guardian.

The letter to the Guardian and to the Branches is quite untruthful. There was no change requiring NGO's to become associated in order to gain a library card. There are over 400 UN libraries worldwide that can be accessed by anyone. Since 1946, these libraries have had the same access rules, with no change in access requirements in 1991.

"Since 1946, the Dag Hammarskjold Library of the United Nations Secretariat in New York has arranged for the distribution of United Nations documents and publications to users around the world through its depository library system. At present, there are more than 400 depository libraries in over 140 countries maintaining United Nations material from the date of designation as depository to the present. The general public can consult the material free of charge at any depository library." www.un.org/Depts/dhl/deplib/deplibsystem.htm

Witnesses writing to the United Nations for clarification regarding library access have received replies such as the following letter. This letter explains that NGO status is not required in order to access the library.

More importantly, there have been no changes to the requirement for NGO's being required to agree to "support" the ideals of the United Nations. This is stated in the following letter to an enquirer in 2002 and also a press release from 1992.

Even if it were true that access to the UN library required becoming an affiliated NGO, the Society has made quite clear to its followers that membership with a political organization is never justifiable and certainly access to a library is the poorest of excuses.

The Watchtower justification fails at many levels.

• Library access is not an acceptable reason for breaking its own rules
    • There was no requirement to join the UN in order to access the library
    • There was no change to the application process specifically in 1991
    • The Watchtower was required to lodge annual applications between 1992 and 2001
    • The UN affiliation was only revoked due to media publicity. If a Witness confesses only after their sin is public knowledge there is high probability elders will not see their confession as a sign of repentance
    • If a Witness can be disassociated for membership with political organizations, the same standard should apply to the Watchtower Society

Between 1990 and 2010, there has been a significant reduction in references to the United Nations in the Watchtower magazine.

Even more noticeable is the reduction in the number of times the United Nations is referred along with the term "wild beast" in the Watchtower.

• justlookingfornow
    justlookingfornow

Kallam (KLLM) I've not ignored your link nor refused to look at it :)

Also the criteria for membership changed AFTER 1991, that's a documented truth...............not a fib.

The annual applications again never conflicted with JW beliefs at any time.

and again, regestration as a non governmental organisation in no way includes either support for or membership of

the united nations.

Does it?

• justlookingfornow
    justlookingfornow

The UN always has been historically condemned, and was condemned during the period as a regestered NGO, and is still condemned

to this day.

Perhaps you should give greater consideration to the rationale behind the JW'S condemnation of the United nations?

• justlookingfornow
  • justlookingfornow
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice
    my "objective" was to discuss the JW's with people who had either been brought up as a jw or who had been jw's, to gain different perspectives.

Fair enough.

I was an elder and I have seen the nature of the watchtower from behind the scenes. The scenes the publishers are not privvy to.

I life 'confirmation bias' may be the thing that swings us from one school of thought to another or not....or vicky verky. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

As long as we can be honest with ourselves what more can we ask?

• justlookingfornow
    justlookingfornow

punkofnice, yeah, I'd agree with that 100%, be true unto yourself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit