My chat with 2 Dubs yesterday about UN membership

by jookbeard 345 Replies latest jw experiences

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

Whahappened-- Ok, sorry.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

oh no worries, I just I'd mention it so u can see the details without stealing the thunder of this thread

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Years ago, an Elder told me that IF, the WTBTS was involved with the UN, there was a good reason, the same would apply with the OSCE. He gave the illustration of using the Judicial system to defend our rights to preach the good news. So the WTBTS is just making use of the Superior Authorities like Paul. Of course, in Paul's case, he did not ally himself with the Roman Government and then back out of it when caught. He was arrested for being a Christian first, and then appealed to already existing laws. What's the official logical fallacy here?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

and he didn't villianize the govt and how it was the enemy of religion beforehand

• Sayswho
    Sayswho

• He gave the illustration of using the Judicial system to defend our rights to preach the good news. So the WTBTS is just making use of the Superior Authorities like Paul.

Could Be "Weak Analogy"
    Explanation

Arguments by analogy rest on a comparison. Their logical structure is this:

(1) A and B are similar.
    (2) A has a certain characteristic.
    Therefore:
    (3) B must have that characteristic too.

SW

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

What the F*&% is a "false truth?!"

• steve2
    steve2

Jookbeard, while the well-dressed one got away, you hooked the scruffy one. If you see scruffy again, reel him back in and press him about his conclusions about his own research.

Scruffy may not be presentable, but he's got active brain cells and therefore is indeed a very rare catch.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

The Quiet One: Which other religions have been/are associated as an NGO of the UN's DPI?

My goodness, can you not Google?

Here, in a 2012 article published in the The Journal of Humanitarian Assistance (Tufts University) is the info you asked about:

Of the 3,183 NGOs with consultative status at ECOSOC, 320 can be characterised as religious.

Religious affiliation Number of organizations Percentage of all religious NGOs

=================================================================

Christian 187 58.4 %

Muslim 52 16.3 %

Jewish 22 6.9 %

Buddhist 14 4.4 %

Hindu 3 0.9 %

Spiritual 25 7.8 %

Multireligious 11 3.4 %

Other religions[23] 6 1.9 %

=================================================================

Total 320 100 %

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Data-dog: What's the official logical fallacy here?

There's no particular "logical fallacy." This is just simply a hypocritical lie and political double-talk.

• It's ok when the WTBTS does it, but wrong when every other religion does it.
    • The GB of JWs had a good reason for being a NGO of the UN, but everyone else has a bad reason.

This is just good old-fashioned self-justification, rationalization and hypocrisy.

No logic involved or required; in fact, it's highly discouraged!

• Oubliette

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit