My chat with 2 Dubs yesterday about UN membership

by jookbeard 345 Replies latest jw experiences

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

The way I see it is that the Watchtower became an NGO. This proves they are self serving liars. Nuff said.

Splitting hairs over 'criteria of membership' doesn't matter. The 'library card' was an excuse and a lie.

It's blatant hypocrisy on the part of the watchtower corporation.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still baloney!

• Listener
    Listener

Justlookingfornow states

"...............and as far as I can gather, they terminated the "library card" when they were made aware that the criteria had changed."

That is purely an assumption that you and other's conclude. It is not what the org said and you are trying to draw to much out of their very short public statement.

The fact is the org are saying very little about their association.

• justlookingfornow
    justlookingfornow

Punkofnice..........Dingly Dell cats homes is an NGO, Rotherham tiddlywinks club is another example of a Non governmental organisation.

The Jw's being another NON governmental organisation doesn't strike me as evidence of their being " self serving liars".

Nothing they did in connection with the UN smacks of hypocracy at all as far as I'm concerned.

Listener, this letter from the JW's is rather more than an assuption.........

http://www.jehovahsjudgment.co.uk/watchtower-un-ngo/scans/chairmanscommittee.html

• justlookingfornow
    justlookingfornow

........... assumption*

• Kallam
    Kallam

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/united-nations-association.php

Read the full history. If you even care. A few telling quotes.

As the above letter outlines, the Watchtower was an associated NGO and to become associated required the Watchtower to accept the following:

• that the NGO share the ideals of the UN Charter;
    • have a demonstrated interest in United Nations issues and a proven ability to reach target or specialized audiences, such as educators, media representatives, policy makers and the business community;
    • have the commitment and means to conduct effective information programs about UN activities by publishing newsletters, bulletins and pamphlets, organizing conferences, seminars and round tables; and enlisting cooperation of the media.

Is it true that for religious reasons Jehovah's Witnesses may not become members of the YMCA (Young Mens Christian Association)?

Yes, that is so. We have long recognized that the YMCA, though not being a church as such, is definitely aligned with the religious organizations of Christendom in efforts to promote interfaith.

In joining the YMCA as a member a person accepts or endorses the general objectives and principles of the organization. … Membership means that one has become an integral part of this organization founded with definite religious objectives, including the promotion of interfaith. Hence, for one of Jehovah's Witnesses to become a member of such a so-called Christian association would amount to apostasy." Watchtower 1979 Jan 1 pp.30-31 Questions from Readers

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

doesn't the timing of The Guardian article and the WTS suddenly withdrawing their membership raise a few eyebrows, surly the WTS wouldn't act so underhand?

• Kallam
    Kallam

Moral of the story is, if the JW org wants to join the UN to use the library this is acceptable. If a 15 year old wants to join the YMCA to learn how to swim and perhaps take a pottery class? Apostacy. Is it any wonder they can't keep anyone over the age of 16 in their dying cult?

• justlookingfornow
    justlookingfornow

Kallam, the so called stated ideals of teh UN charter are what? Peace and security for teh Earth and mankind right?

So how is the desire for mankind to live in peace and security at odds with the JW's beliefs???

They only disagree in the sense that they argue that only GOD can bring true peace and security to the Earth

• justlookingfornow
    justlookingfornow

to join the ymca a person has agree to support that particular organisation. There IS a difference, at least I can see one.

• Kallam
    Kallam

I agree that the charter of the UN should not be anything that most people would object to. How then do you reconcile what the JW Org has said about the UN, their membership as an NGO, and now your nonsensical dissembling? I'll give you just one quote and then I'll move on as I don't believe you are anything more than a bored JW apologist. If you feel that being associated with an organization that will soon battle your God is ok then.. well.. what can I say?

If you read the link i posted, (which I'm well aware you will not) You will see that the JW Org must agree to support the UN. The evidence is there that the organization that you support are foolish liars however keep on with your delusions if you must.

Watchtower 1991 June 1 p.19 Their Refuge—A Lie!

Christendom rested her hopes in the League of Nations, but it was overturned even without the coming of Armageddon. Now she has transferred her allegiance to the United Nations. But it will soon have to face "the war of the great day of God the Almighty," and it will not survive. (Revelation 16:14) Even a revived UN can never bring peace and security. God's prophetic Word shows that the United Nations organization with its member nations "will battle with the Lamb [Christ in Kingdom power], but, because he is Lord of lords and King of kings, the Lamb will conquer them."—Revelation 17:14.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit