My chat with 2 Dubs yesterday about UN membership

by jookbeard 345 Replies latest jw experiences

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Great work! It might not work immediately but both their brain cells were challenged. It is hard to be accurate, such as not a member of the UN but an associated NGO, and yet focus on the important points. Most people in my KH would have no idea what an NGO is. In fact, I believe I only know from a friend who was a UN Civil Servant, NYT references, and UN tours. I only learned in my thirties. If they knew what NGOs were, they most likely would not be Witnesses.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

thanks BU2B, I didn't actually print the significance of the NGO and the difference of membership that an actual nation has compared to a religious organization but I did briefly explain it to them, I don't get the chance to chat with them much at all, but this tactic I have honed in my mind and with the mixture of a zealous former Dub using training form the Reasoning book I really know how to hit them, a few years ago I cornered a JW near my work place and my mate who was with me was astounded how I rubbished their doctrinal claims etc, also admitting from the outset that I'm an atheist helps as well because it avoids the pointless waste of trinity/born again debates, its impossible for them to out manoeuvre me

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Blondie is absolutely right that the WTBTS did not join the UN.

They can't because they are not a nation.

But let's not miss the point: No religion can "join" the UN. They can only affiliate as a NGO. This is exactly what the WTBTS did. They were associated for about a decade in exactly the same way as all the other religions which the WT condemns for doing so.

There is a word for this. It's called "hypocrisy."

That ends our lesson for today boys and girls. Thank you and good night!

• ranmac
  • The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

"They can only affiliate as a NGO. This is exactly what the WTBTS did. Theywere associated for about a decade in exactly the same way as all the other religions which the WT condemns for doing so." -- In exactly the same way? Which other religions have been/are associated as an NGO of the UN's DPI?

• cofty
    cofty

Nice one Jookbeard.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Typical JW conversation. They walk into it with the ideal in their head, of a celestial organization with WT's floating down from heaven for all mankind to partake of their spiritual food. (gag)

I had a recent conversation like that and the biggest argument the dub could come up with was, "even if the blood policy were wrong, are u saying Jehovah can't ressurect them?"

In some ways I like to bring up controversery and watch them squirm, but sometimes it feels like I made a circle of salt around a snail and watched him suffer.

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

"even if the blood policy were wrong, are u saying Jehovah can't ressurect them?" -- A good reply may have been (or maybe i'm just crazy).. ''even if he could, wouldn't the GB still be both bloodguilty for teaching it, and blasphemous to act like the teaching came from Jehovah?".. Or "Oh, so is it okay with Jehovah for you to needlessly throw away your life just because you believed in something someone told you? Are suicide cults pleasing to him?" ..

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I did answer in a similar fashion. I detailed it on another thread

• jgnat
    jgnat

I bet you gave them the liveliest conversation all month.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit