Global Cooling

by Jomavrick 93 Replies latest jw friends

• besty
    besty

hey marvin - just in the interests of my time suggest you look at www.skepticalscience.com

that site has extensive scientific literature, commentary and explanation

specifically http://www.skepticalscience.com/CO2-is-not-the-only-driver-of-climate.htm should answer your particular question

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

One of the things I haven't seen so far in this discussion about "Global Cooling" is "Global Dimming." Some feel it is the only thing that has 'saved' us so far, although, in itself, it is 'man-made.'

Thus, there is some irony in this discussion that the man-made aspect of Global Cooling is not also debated.

• besty
    besty
    One of the things I haven't seen so far in this discussion about "Global Cooling" is "Global Dimming."

it might be local dimming to expect a thread to discuss a different subject entirely

although yes - ironic indeed that particulate pollution ansd aerosols might be offsetting greenhouse gases

• besty
    besty

@jomavrick

It is very much like religion, there are scientist on both sides that promote and discount "climate change" using scientific data

There is a tiny minority of climate scientists who don't think human activity is responsible for the massive uptick in atmospheric CO2. I don't see this at all as being like religion, although framing the issue in this way may help you to avoid thinking about it. (please don't confuse the science with the ideology)

I simply do not believe it because it doesnt make sense.

I don't think heavier than air flying machines make sense, but that's not really relevant to the issue :-)

I dont believe humans could effect the overall climate even if we wanted to. The history of this planet for one thing is evidence that the climate has always and will continue to change weather there are humans walking around or not.

CO2 levels haven't been above 300ppm for 650,000 years - until now. it's now approaching 400 ppm. The fingerprint on the additional CO2 is human. Back to my original question to you - if CO2 is a greenhouse gas then why is the planet NOT warming with additional CO2 in the system?

http://www.skepticalscience.com/Are-humans-too-insignificant-to-affect-global-climate.htm

• Lore
    Lore

Pfft, I don't care if you call it global cooling, global warming or climate change.

I'm just happy that I haven't had to shovel snow for the past 3 years. Whatever it is, bring on more of it!

• bohm
    bohm

Lore: I assume your comment was tongue in cheek and i want to add: I dont care about pesticides, in the past 3 years i havent had any bugs at my house or birdshit on the car. Whatever it is, bring on more of it!

• Jomavrick
    Jomavrick

Sorry I am not buying what your selling, and it is not some minority that disagree's with the assumptions made. I can show you a flip chart that shows how much milk is being consumed and how many more people wear bicycle shorts that 100 years ago. They have as much to do with climate change as co2 gasses.

• bohm
    bohm

Jomavrick: By chance, have you ever read any scientific litterature on global warming?

• poppers
    poppers

Last year here in Wisconsin March was unseasonably warm and I started riding my bike in the first week of the month. This is what I saw out my front and back doors this past Thursday, May 2:

By the time it stopped snowing 14" had fallen, and even more fell a few miles north of me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocV5bGHdYag

• cantleave
    cantleave

The ignorance of climate change on this thread is truly awesome. Me thinks too many people watching Fox news and not enough actual rteading of the science.

For those that think there is an even balance between climate scientists who understand the impact of human activity and those that don't, you obviously have not read the lierature, understand the evidence and or are displaying cognitive dissonance in a new field.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit