Where else to go.I sticking up for the WTS.

by joe134cd 99 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
  • EdenOne
    EdenOne

joe134cd,

What is working for me so far, considering that I have 10 out of 11 of my closest relatives in, is this:

From my Bible study, I've concluded that christianity as a whole - that is, all religions who follow the teachings of Christ and recognize him as their Lord - are collectivelly the "Master's Household". All christian religions are "slaves" working in the Master's household and will be judged by the Lord. Therefore, at present stage in history, the Jehovah's Witnesses cannot claim superiority over any other christian religion out there. Only Jesus make the judgement and deems whose servant(s) is 'faithful'. Until then, each one of us must do the best we can as christians to follow what Jesus taught, and await for his judgement.

In this perspective, being a Jehovah's Witness or something else is merely circumstancial, as long as you worship God and follow Christ. I choose to stay a Jehovah's Witness while I consider it bearable because: a) I'm yet to be convinced that it's an "evil" congregation and b) My family is in and c) I got most of my friends (good friends, btw) in and d) because I don't think they got it entirely wrong, in doctrinal terms.

Sure, there are many issues that I wish could change. I also know that by holding dissenting opinions I risk one day being outed and DF'd as apostate. But weighing everything, for me personally, my decision is to, for the time being, stay in.

Eden

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

I think that saying that

"a) I'm yet to be convinced that it's an "evil" congregation " ....and " b)I also know that by holding dissenting opinions I risk one day being outed and DF'd as apostate" in the same breath makes no sense.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

No organization administered by humans will ever be without fault. Decades ago I reached the same conclusion. Neutral college courses proved to me that the WT is very bad, unlike most other churches. My family was aactive in the Bible students movement. Relatives toiled at Bethel when it was very small and intimate. Some spent years in prison. They were deeply troubled. They knew Rutherford and Knorr fairly well. They never walked away but I was taught that Jehoover and Bethel were opposites. Only this was a family secret that I could never share.

Because of where I lived during college, I had more exposure to regular churches and seminaries than other Americans. I wandered into a cathedral one day to see the architecture and art. It was a treasure trove. Priests and laity freely mock their culture. When fundraisers are held, parody items are the biggest sellers. I discussed my college course content with priests and a bishop. They loved my skepticism. Parishioners are not mindless steeple. Lay people don't defer to priests. The use of English and their sophistication bring tears to their eyes. There are special trips to be exposed to non Western churches.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I could write forever but I did not learn this from reading. Rather, I walked in despite the belief that Jehoover would strike me dead. My entire body shook with fear. On a comical not, my first expedition was to simply stick my head into the main Roman Catholic cathedral, swarming with more tourists than faithful. I was nauseous with fright. My peripheral vision noticed a wax bust of a pope. I thought demons and screeched and screeched. It was just too Catholic for me. Spooky.

The only way you will truly know if your statement is correct for you is to attend a few churches and observe from the back. They are mostly startingly different from KH.s. n

• Londo111
    Londo111

First, welcome to JWN.

Do you realize that the Mormons ask the very same question you just did? And that many use that justification to remain in their group despite the problems and bogus teachings?

Most Christian denominations do not teach they are the ONE true religion. Most denominations recognize other denominations as Christian, just a different tradition. Most denominations you allow to hold your own views on matters...there is just unity in a few essential teachings. You can disagree during a Bible Study and nobody gets angry or shunned. And most denominations do something practical for the community.

The only denominations that are not like this are high control groups, also known as cults (JWs, Mormons, Scientologists, Moonies). Any group that teaches that only they possess the "Truth"--run! Any group that you can't walk away from without consequences--run!

How often does the Society feed the poor or do anything real for the community? What do they do for all the donations they get? Why isn't there any itemized transparency in how they use their funds?

While it is true I was devastating when I got DFed (I am now reinstated), I was angry when I learned that most of what I'd been taught was not only not true, but there had been deception involved. Reading the first page of the October 2011 public Watchtower. To learn one has been lied to is cause for justifiable anger.

But it’s not about doctrine, it’s about the CONTROL.

For Christians the spiritual org chart goes: God -> Christ -> You.

Galatians 5:1 says, “ It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.”

No more I am going to be a slave to men, no matter who they profess to be, no matter what religion they espouse. It is your choice and your responsibility alone: Christian Freedom or Slavery.

I encourage you to read the following:

Crisis of Conscience

In Search of Christian Freedom

Combating Cult Mind Control

Captives of a Concept

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

@Unstopabler OR Op --- What is it that proves to you that the Bible, in its entirety, was inspired by God.. or even that it is WORTH joining any group for? How is it different to any other ancient writing that says 'obey this God or die' ? Sorry if it seems off topic, but discussing which Christian religion to join without looking at the core issue (why do you NEED to go to a church to listen to some guys view on something some guy 1,000+years ago wrote).. Seems pointless to me. Maybe WT is not leading the worst 'Bible-based' group on the planet. So what?

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

'What realy winds people up and causes them to shine light on the WT faults is that they are pissed at been thrown out.' joe 134cd

I wasn't thrown out.

I do feel irritated that I made some big decisions in my life based on teachings of the 'faithful slave' and wish I hadn't listened to them.

The meetings and the assemblies brought no joy into my childhood. Christmas morning as a child was spent in the field service. They were never any presents as a child. Just one long endless round of meetings. That irritates me. I don't have fond memories of my childhood or teenage years.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I wasn't thrown out either.

Blanket statements...gotta love em...not

• Glander
    Glander

" Now I am going to do a rear thing here... I am going to stick up for the WTS."

I will cover my eyes....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit