Where else to go.I sticking up for the WTS.

by joe134cd 99 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

To the OP... you could try the Unitarian Universalist Church. They accept and welcome people of all faiths (ie, they are ecumenical), and even agnostics and atheists are welcome there. Their focus is on community. Check them out via google.

xo

tal

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

talesin: add that church to my list of churches i would not go to

• jgnat
    jgnat

My big beef with the Watchtower society is their intolerance of any dissenting beliefs. You don't go with the program, and you are cut-off. There is no free exchange of ideas. By the way, I was never thrown out. I never joined. I still get angry when I see how people are treated, or how people hide their problems for fear of the severe consequences. They need help, not judgement!

Lots of churches have problems but they are not one big lump. And few are as controlling as the Witnesses. The Mormons have a pretty active ex-member group, so they show signs of high control, too. The Catholics are controlling in a way, but more like a big brother. They don't bother hunting for converts or chasing down inactives, because they are big. They are also slow to change because they are old and big. But there are also lots of churches with what I call "soft borders" that freely welcome newcomers, and have no hard feelings if you leave. These types of churches should also respect the individual, not demanding that they subsume their nature to conform.

You should also look for signs that the church readily admits to past errors, and openly works on resolving them.

I might point out that sexual predators are on the lookout where they can get easy access to kids, innocence, and authority. The Catholic church has all those elements. So does the boy scouts, sports, and schools. What can these organizations do to deter sexual predators? My church has a "plan to protect" program that includes screening of children's workers, a standard of conduct, children's rooms with windows in the door, and hall monitors.

You are mistaken if you think there is nothing better out there.

That all said, I think most exiting JW's are better off avoiding all organized religion for at least a year. You need a breather, and a chance to work out what is really important to you. Then when there is a group that really excites you, use your reset internal compass to decide if it is right for you.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Most certainly, unstopable, don't look to far abroad. It might change your faith.

• jgnat
  • unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

jgnat: lol dont confuse resloving not to comprimise with blindness, jesus is the only way and theres only one true gospel and sadly many churches dont teach these truths. jesus said the path is narrow, matthew 7

• jgnat
    jgnat

unstopable's cross-off list. The JW's, Mormons, and Unitarians didn't make the chart.

UnstopCross

• jgnat
    jgnat

I love your humor, unstopable, but I've satisfied myself that you won't look too far abroad from your new set of "must-haves". Women pastors, for instance. Not because of any biblical requirement but just because. The blinders don't blind the horse. They simply prevent the horse from looking beyond the path set for him.

• Roberta804
    Roberta804

After being out for 27 years, one of the insights I have gathered is that a religion is suppose to be in addition to who you are as a person. Religion is not suppose to identify you.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I love that thought, Roberta.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit