Forum Owner and Member Integrity

by Simon 95 Replies latest forum announcements

• Simon
    Simon

Some people recently raised concerns about security of the site relating to whether forum members could be WatchTower plants trying to obtain information about people. Apparently, this was because a previous forum that was setup was either owned by or later handed over to someone who used it to collect personal information about people which was then used to harrass them. I don't know all the details, I'm just paraphrasing what I've heard and recognize that it's a concern to some people.

I want to first of all put people's minds at rest: I've been running this site for what will be 13 years next month. During that time there have been several occassions where people have played up and been a complete pain in the arse but I've never resorted to exposing private information about them even though it would have been incredibly convenient to do so and saved us having to put up with a lot of slurs and lies. Why did I do this? Because I think it's extremely important to be trustworthy and protect people's personal information even when I personally may not think they deserve it - other people do and if I started picking and chosing I'd make a mistake and I know how important personal privacy is on a site like this. I also trust the majority of people to see through lies and eventually see what's going on. I rely on my reputation for running a site like this and recognise the huge responsibility we have to people.

Now, that doesn't mean that other people won't try to find information about other memberas and this site is no different than other internet sites - you should be wary of exposing too much personal or identifying information whether it's made public on the forum or privately in PMs to people. Just like forum owners who you chose to entrust your information to and need to be confident you can trust, you need to chose which other forum members you chose to trust.

I'm still working on features to make the site as secure as possible to protect people's identity which go way beyond what other forum software offers (partly why it's taken so long!) because the JW connection makes it more important than on most sites but in the meantime be careful about who you give your information to and if you receive PMs that you think are attempts to probe for information please let me know so I can investigate.

Thanks
    Simon

• cedars
    cedars

Great stuff Simon.

Your hard work on our behalf is hugely appreciated.

Here's to another 13 years!!

Cedars

• BlindersOff1
    BlindersOff1

Thanks for this valuable site . You have saved lives and helped relieve pain for many many people .

• pixel
    pixel

Thanks Simon.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Thanks for that update Simon. All your work is very much appreciated. sammieswife

• happy@last
    happy@last

Thank you Simon, this truly is a unique place.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Generally I take new people at face value when they come here. It is good that we welcome the newcomers with open arms, and give them the best we have to offer. We deserve our rep as being a welcoming place. If they've got an ulterior motive it will come out eventually.

Appreciate all your effort, Simon. And Angharad. Pass on my gratefulness to her as well. I am sure there have been a few times you've been close to throwing in the towel. Thanks for sticking by us.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Same light burnin' bright for thirteen years !!!!!!!!

Wow. If only the WTS could use the same brand. Maybe they wouldn't

have to wait for the one they installed to get brighter

Thank You Simon and Ang, your work is very much appreciated

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

There is not one time I sign into this forum without realizing what a unique place in the world it is.

Grateful it exists.

Thanks,

BOC

• sabastious
    sabastious

This is a support group which means people are going to be giving out details about their life struggle leaving or living in the Watchtower. What happened at JWS can happen to any online forum no matter how secure it is. Watchtower agents are often trained in basic psychology and seek out to destroy the spirit of influential members and sow general discord within the community. They exist in large numbers on the internet. The Watchtower would like NOTHING BETTER than for this site in particular to be shut down. This is because JWN is thoroughly worked into the search engine indexes and more is added every day. Jehovah's Witnesses use search engines like anybody else and all it takes is a single search to bring up a JWN thread that adequately refutes the Watchtower. If the site was shut down completely all the links in the search engines would suddenly stop working which would mean searching JW's will not find the awesome discussions that have occured on this forum for 13 years. A great deal of people have been helped out of the Watchtower by this site as served to them by search engines.

This is the fastest moving EXJW community on the internet. Even the EXJW subreddit is slower. This is because it has been managed well for 13 years and has accrued a loyal writer base. This site is much like a newspaper, but it's customers are worldwide rather than a localized group. Many people come here for it's "columnists" and up to date Watchtower information. This place is one of the top threats to the Watchtower's fortune which means it has a target on it. They will do everything in their power to take this site down. This would include having agents who pose as our friends with ill intent.

For all agents that are currently reading this, please leave this site immediately and find a real job. You are waging a war you cannot possibly win and are defending criminals who prey on the weak, the small and the sick.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit