NRA Targets Obama Daughters; Limbaugh Mocks Murdered Children

by BizzyBee 246 Replies latest members politics

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Cops are no better or worse than anyone else.

Don't move the goalposts now! I never said cops were "better" than anyone else. My main point is that their mental health is monitored more than most people because of the nature of their work. Of course it is well known that there are bad cops - beating up someone they're arresting, taking bribes, etc., but those things are a bit of a leap when you think of a cop at a shopping mall or a school or an airport.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

My main point is that their mental health is monitored more than most people because of the nature of their work.

I am not moving the goal posts. Of all the cops I have ever known, not a single one undergoes regular mental health evaluations.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I think cops need to do something questionable before they're required to do mental eval!

I really don't know what they have to do wrong before mandatory weight loss, and abstinance from donuts is required (LOL)

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Bizzy, I think cops have that UNION thingy going for them

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Are you saying that police officers do not recieve a mental health evaluation as part of their qualification procedure?

Are you saying that an officer involved in a shooting does not receive PTSD services?

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Not regularly, no. At least, not the two police departments I am familiar with. In the event of a traumatic event, like shooting someone or being shot, they are offered counseling and before resuming active duty, they have to be cleared for duty, but regular mental health evalutions, like twice a year or something? Not that I know of.

• Glander
    Glander

A friend of mine is a decorated sargent with the Portland PD. He has been through shootings, first responder medical emergencies, hostage takings, chases and was once pushed in front of a bus by an occupier protester while on bicycle patrol.

We have had some long conversations and I have given him my "old white conservative" viewpoint. He is very articulate and a dedicated policeman. His restraint in tense situations is amazing.

Other than his initial screening as a rookie, he has never had a mental evaluation after what the average person would consider a lifetimes worth of stress. He is only 41 and has been a police officer for nearly 20 years. He carries a gun everyday. He and his wife have a 21 month old baby girl and he volunteers on the city planning commission.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit