NRA Targets Obama Daughters; Limbaugh Mocks Murdered Children

by BizzyBee 246 Replies latest members politics

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Just wondering... How many hits did you make?

At that rate about 80%. I can't imagine ever firing that fast for any reason other than a bet :)

Bizzy, are you comfortable with police carrying gun in those places given the stories of them committing acts of brutality, beatings, accidental shootings, etc? They are people, just like anyone else. There is a police officer in my town that has a reputation for pulling his gun on people for doing things like watching him arrest someone. Police, just like the rest of the general population, are just like everyone else, most are hardworking good people, but there is that percentage who abuse the power the badge and gun give them.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Bizzy, are you comfortable with police carrying gun

Police, just like the rest of the general population, are just like everyone else,

Not to nit-pick, but police are really not like everyone else in that their training and qualifications are very specific to their job of policing, including handling guns. They are updated on relevant technology and they are subject to psychological evaluation on a regular basis as well as ready access to mental health support post-trauma.

Because of those reasons, yes, I am comfortable with police carrying guns as part of their job.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Crime rates have not gone up in the United States during the time that guns have increased from an estimated 160 million to over 350 million.

That would indicate to me that crime rates would not decrease if somehow BibbyBees dream of reducing the guns in private hands back to 160 million.

The gun confiscation people want to do this on philosophical grounds - not honestly provable or arguable grounds of reducing gun crimes.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Not to nit-pick, but police are really not like everyone else in that their training and qualifications are very specific to their job of policing, including handling guns.

I don't think you are nitpicking.

I do think you are operating under a misconception of police training. In most municipalities, police are only required to qualify with their firearms once or twice a year (outside of SWAT, etc). In fact, the range I am a member of is where our local police force trains. They have two training days per YEAR set aside for them.

Some, a very few of them, train weekly or monthly and I have trained with them. Most go far more rarely or the minium. In a larger city I used to live in, it was worse (my friend was an officer and I sometimes went to their firearms training facility).

The fact is, a LOT of civilians such as myself are far more trained on weapons that most of the police you see. I have a higher rate of on-target shots that the police are required to have. I regularly shoot, disassemble, clean and put back together my firearms. I know the quirks of each one inside and out.

We also have a specific officer who is known for pulling his gun often as he gets protection from the city. There is a pretty well known event where he pulled his gun on and arrested a woman for watching, from her own front porch, him arrest someone after he told her to go in her house. Cops are no better or worse than anyone else.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    We also have a specific officer who is known for pulling his gun often as he gets protection from the city. There is a pretty well known event where he pulled his gun on and arrested a woman for watching, from her own front porch, him arrest someone after he told her to go in her house. Cops are no better or worse than anyone else.

It IS sort of off topic - but how on God's Green Earth is this guy still a police officer?

I thought they had to fill out a report on incidents where they found it necessary to draw and point a gun - how could this have happened, been reviewed, and just ignored?

I would guess this is a small-town force without a great deal of competent leadership...

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

It's a suburb of a metro area, James. 20 mins in one direction and you are in a 1.5 million+ population. 20 mins in the other and you are crossing through farm country and public game lands.

How does he get away with his? I dunno, he's on the SWAT team, the rapid response team, etc.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

OTOH, I know a lot of super nice officers. As usual, it's the few bad apples that give the entire bunch a bad name.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Oh exactly - most of them are good people just trying to do a very tough job.

And then, there are always a few like that Drew Petersen idiot in Chicago...

• darth frosty
  • Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

How does he get away with his? I dunno, he's on the SWAT team, the rapid response team, etc.

The rules in most departments are broad on purpose. An officer may draw his weapon when he or she "believes" his life is in danger.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit