"Right to bear arms" should mean ...

by Simon 616 Replies latest members politics

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Nope, Finkelstein, in Japan, they use knives:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osaka_school_massacre

One incident, come on use your brain .

Look at the numbers of violent and deadly attacks in the US by guns in comparison

to any other country in the world and you'll come to a logical conclusion.

• besty
    besty
    I wasn't. You mentioned knifings in British schools, clearly not on topic, I simply responded with something else not on topic. Is that not what you wanted? If not, why did you change the subject?

@Entirely Possible - so you didn't mention 'stab city' in a previous post to mine?

Can you think of a way the USA can get from 74x UK firearm homicide rate to 1x?
    I posted some suggestions earlier.

post 'em again - I didn't understand what you wrote last time...

• Low-Key Lysmith
  • EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Look at the numbers of violent and deadly attacks in the US by guns in comparison to any other country in the world and you'll come to a logical conclusion.

If it was really about deaths, you would be just as upset by something that causes 3x the number of deaths, 100% preventable. But you aren't, so it cannot *really* be about people dying.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

@Entirely Possible - so you didn't mention 'stab city' in a previous post to mine?

I did. What does that have to do with your fictional situation?

• besty
    besty
    If it was really about deaths, you would be just as upset by something that causes 3x the number of deaths, 100% preventable. But you aren't, so it cannot *really* be about people dying.

Thanks for second guessing what makes me more upset...

The point is that the USA 'enjoys' 74x the firearm homicide rate of the UK with only 15x per capita gun ownership.

Do you see a connection?

• besty
    besty
    I did. What does that have to do with your fictional situation?

Just clarifying who changed the subject to knifes - glad we agree it was you.

• cofty
    cofty

Why would any sane person not want to live in a country where gun ownership for personal protection just wasn't necessary?

That's my problem with a lot of the pro-gun lot. I don't believe some of them would want that even if it was possible. They seem to be addicted to their weapons.

If I lived in some parts of the USA I am sure I would feel safer with a gun and the knowledge and skill to use it effectively. But I would much rather live in a country where the chances of being a victim of gun crime is minuscule. Where somebody who has a red mist moment or a bad day can't resort so readily to killing themselves or others.

The genie won't go back in the bottle in America but why isn't everybody committed to beginning the task of reducing the obscenity of a gun obsessed society?

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Thanks for second guessing what makes me more upset...

I am not second guessing. I am guessing based on what motivates people enough to post. Three times the number of dead people EVERY SINGLE DAY doesn't motivate a single post. All 100% preventable, but, necessary for a convenience you enjoy. If it was simply about how many people die unnecessarily, you would be outraged, motivated to post. But you aren't.

The point is that the USA 'enjoys' 74x the firearm homicide rate of the UK with only 15x per capita gun ownership.

How is that the point? Why is the point HOW people die?

Do you see a connection?

I do. I see a very deliberate avoidance of any discussion of better mental health care, a much higher rate of other types of 100% preventable death, better enforcement of existing laws, etc., and a strange fixation on guns, something that causes a very low rate of preventable death. I mean, for godness sakes, heart disease, something that can be prevented via diet and exercise, causes more death, much much more. Why no threads promoting exercise and diet control?

Alas, I am forced to conclude your issue isn't with preventing death, but an issue with a specific type of death.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Cofty,

If I thought that there was an inkling of a possibility that all the guns in the world would magically disappear, and the bad guys couldn't get their hands on them either, I would gladly and without hesitation surrender my guns.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit