"Right to bear arms" should mean ...

by Simon 616 Replies latest members politics

• Simon
    Simon
    Guns are regulated in this country, maybe not to your liking, but they certainly are regulated

So what's the problem with just turning the dial down to maybe, ooh, '8' instead of '11' ?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

"Right to bare arms" should mean ...

You can wear a short sleeved shirt..

........................  mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• TD
    TD
    Why would it make sense to take a sentence from 200+ years ago and apply it to the technology available today?

It doesn't make sense and that's why firearm acts of 1934 and 1968 were enacted. Of course maybe those don't go far enough. Realistically though, discussions on JWN about what else should be restricted get bogged down fairly quickly.

• stillin
    stillin

I wish there had been somebody on hand to respond with equal force to the idiocy demonstrated today. I know that I would not have hesitated to put a stop to it if it were in my power.

• puffthedragon
    puffthedragon

So what's the problem with just turning the dial down to maybe, ooh, '8' instead of '11' ?

I am open to more regulation, to a point. What bothers me, is in the past, many of the congresional leaders who are the most vocal about gun control and regulations make it clear that they know nothing about what it is they are banning. They try to introduce laws banning certain features on guns that they don't even understand, and make it clear by what they say that they don't.

The alleged "gun show loophole" is not what most people think it is. If you buy a gun from a legitimate dealer at a gun show, you have to undergo a background check. Period. In some states that can be same day, in mine it is not. Anything else you have read or heard is a misrepresentation. However, I would agree that there could be some more regulation in private party gun sales.

Limiting how many guns a person can or cannot buy, is that really gonna stop them from doing something like this? I don't know. I'll admit I am a collector, but I am also a strong advocate for gun safety. I don't advertise my guns, and I don't take anyone shooting unless I am confident they understand and will adhere to basic firearm safety practices.

• minimus
    minimus

Assault weapons, rocket launchers and things like that should not be allowed. Owning a handgun should be allowed by a qualified person.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

"You think people shouldn't be able to own a gun??"

You people are dangerous.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Aw shit. Here we go again.

There was a law written around the same time as the 2nd amendment. It said that there shall be a separation of church and state. That one goes largely ignored. So which parts of the Constitution should we ignore and which ones should we embrace again?

-Proud to be a responsible American gun owner.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

It is legal to own an automatic weapon, but it’s not easy. Automatic weapons are "Class III" weapons, and are titled much like cars are. Most firearms dealers do not have a Class III FFL. The title transfer fee is hundreds of dollars, and you need written permission from your local police chief or county sheriff.

Most of these assault weapons are semiautomatic and are not modified to be fully automatic. There is no reason I can think of to own a fully automatic assault rifle unless you are at war. You can modify even a Glock semiautomatic handgun to be fully automatic (see youtube). We have the right to own guns in order to protect ourselves and our families. RPG's and rocket launchers? No. That's a stupid thing to assume that we all want or have the right to RPG's and rocket launchers.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I think the States could do better by restricting the sales of hand guns or semi-automatics.

Possibly restricting how many gun shops for a given area as well.

The law of averages states that more guns in a given established population, your going have people who will

inadvertently use those guns inappropriately.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit