"Right to bear arms" should mean ...

by Simon 616 Replies latest members politics

• Simon
    Simon

... that you can own a musket.

Because that is what it was refering to at the time.

Simple. No one can complain that their rights are being taken away.

Why would it make sense to take a sentence from 200+ years ago and apply it to the technology available today?

In the same way that if you have a license to drive it means you have the right to drive a regular car, not an F1 car, a tank or a fighter-jet.

• minimus
    minimus

Simon, I think that most laws that are still on the books are old laws but most are still adhered to.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

An interesting comment by someone ..... not mine, comcerning the US constitution to bear arms.

The Second Amendment is a thoroughly anachronistic law that even in its own time was only about the need to form a citizen's militia in case of an attempted British reconquest of the former colonies. That's it, folks. It should be interpreted as meaning just that, or better yet, repealed but there is the greater problem in the United States, which unlike no other country in the world, regards its first Constitution as a sacred writ. This perverted religious and fanatical lunacy as to how Americans interpret government and history is at the root of all its social problems.

• Simon
    Simon

No, they either still apply even though they are old or have been updated to reflect the change in technologies.

i.e. we don't apply any rules about horse and carts to modern motoring do we?

Why then do we apply musket-related laws to automatic assault weapons?

• cantleave
    cantleave

Good point Simon!

A musket is not the same as an AK47

• minimus
    minimus

You think people shouldn't be able to own a gun?? Simple question, yes or no?

• Simon
    Simon
    This perverted religious and fanatical lunacy as to how Americans interpret government and history is at the root of all its social problems

I think that is a perfect description of the problem. It's rules put in place and sustained by mentally derranged fanatics that really have no place in a modern industrialised nation.

• Simon
    Simon
    You think people shouldn't be able to own a gun?? Simple question, yes or no?

As I have explained, yes - I think they should be able to own a musket.

Should people have the right to automatic assault weapons, rocket launchers and RPGs? No, I think any sane person would think that would be idiotic.

Do you think people who want that should be admitted to an asylum? Simple question, yes or no?

• puffthedragon
    puffthedragon

No, they either still apply even though they are old or have been updated to reflect the change in technologies.

And so have the gun laws. I can't buy a tank, a missle, a rocket launcher, or a new fully-automatic rifle. Guns are regulated in this country, maybe not to your liking, but they certainly are regulated.

• Simon
    Simon

BTW: I make a prediction - the gun-nuts will be following the lead of the tobacco companies and will try to attack, discredit or intimidate any who criticise them, derail sensible debate and try and divert the subject to something non-sensical like "do you hate America" instead.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit