"Right to bear arms" should mean ...

by Simon 616 Replies latest members politics

• moshe
    moshe

What people fail to understand is the police are not required to protect you from being harmed by someone with a gun. The Supreme court ruled that citizens have no legal expectation of protection from the police. The police are best at gathering evidence after the crime has been committed and then they start looking for the murderer. Protection is ultimately your responsibility, not the police, who might be late answering that 911 call for help.

Justices Rule Police Do Not Have a Constitutional Duty to Protect Someone

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/28scotus.html?_r=0

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Great points, moshe.

Still trying to figure out how we're being "clowns" for wanting the right to defend/protect ourselves with equal weapons as the bad guys? Or how somehow we're being insensitive to the tragedy yesterday by thinking that we should have the right to do so.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

One thing that might help upon reflecting what kind of guns were used in these recent massacres, is the sale of hand guns to the public.

Unfortunately since the sales of these kinds of guns have been on going for such a long length of time in the US, there's an

enormous amount of them sitting in peoples homes throughout the States.

To remove those guns now would be a difficult task to be surly realized.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

I have a question for those of you who are American and who feel strongly that you should preserve your right to keep guns, despite incidents like the terrible tragedy yesterday.

Why is it, do you think that the rest of the world cannot understand you? Why do you think people in Britain don't agree and don't feel a need for firearms?

Why do you think I reacted with incredulous horror at the thought of armed guards in schools?

Is it that you feel life in America has become so dangerous that you have to have a gun at your side? And if your answer to that is yes, then, why?

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Chariklo,

It's not the guns. It's the problem with society and lack of accessible mental health care. Stop blaming objects.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Ever since 9/11, everyone's been a little too happy to trade protection for freedom. NDAA, Patriot Act, Utah Data Center, TSA, the list goes on. Our rights are slowly slipping away.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

I see the bigger picture here. Our rights are indeed under attack. Fear was enhanced by exaggeration, misrepresentation and outright lies by the Bush Administration, to the point that Americans were so terrified that they'd allow all freedoms to be taken away in the name of security. Security which we do not have and can never have, and freedoms too precious to be sacrificed, even though the cost be in barrels of blood.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Justices Rule Police Do Not Have a Constitutional Duty to Protect Someone.

Kind of mute point being that its the police's duty under oath to protect Innocent peace abiding citizens.

One can honestly and logically see that the long standing holding up of the US Constitution of the right to bear arms,

is starting to hurt the greater population in general.

Greater amount of guns bought by the populous, the greater the chance of guns being used in heinous acts of violence.

In this situation the law of averages is irrefutable.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    Still trying to figure out how we're being "clowns" for wanting the right to defend/protect ourselves with equal weapons as the bad guys?

Low_Key ....

We as a society (and I am including myself as a legal gun owner) are "clowns" because we give people such easy access to weapons in this country that are not simply for personal defense but can kill dozens of people in less than a minute.

We as a society (and I am including myself as a legal gun owner) are "clowns" because we allow powerful organizations like the NRA to pressure politicians to interpret "the right to bear arms" as meaning militia-style weaponry.

We as a society (and I am including myself as a legal gun owner) are "clowns" because we use excuses such as "guns don't kill people, people do". That logic results in the conclusion that napalm bombs, torpedos, patriot missles, atomic weapons, chemical weapons and other weapons of mass destruction don't kill people, people do.

Yes Low_Key, compared to many other civilized countries, we are indeed clowns.

Rub a Dub

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Yes, malign the dead. You have no idea if she knew he was deranged or not, foolish woman.

I'll stand by what I said.

Ryan Lanza, 24, brother of gunman Adam Lanza, 20, tells authorities that his younger brother is autistic, or has Asperger syndrome and a “personality disorder.”

So his mother knew he had mental health issues. Most people who knew him have remarked to that effect. "Deranged" is evident from his actions. Apparently her house was full of guns. Strange priorities she had. And foolish.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit