Should We Worship Jesus?

by Perry 229 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

his glorifyed body does not need blood. the bible shows in many places that after his going to heaven he is a man - unstop

That is just obfuscation.

If he is a man he has a male human body. A body with no blood does not need a heart, lungs or circulatory system. He does not eat because without oxygen there is no respiration so he has no digestive system - does he have an anus? He also has no taste buds.

No muscles, since muscle contractions need oxygen - we can talk about the anaerobic energy system if you want.

No liver or kidneys or bladder.

He doesn't urinate so does he need a penis - not unless he is going to have sex - and if no penis then no balls either.

And yet he is a man apparently.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

No one has to believe what the Bible says if they don't want to. I think it safe to say that the OP is directed at persons who are trying to determine what the Bible says vs what certain religions teach.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Think for a moment about how radically different a bloodless body would be. What exactly would be left to call it human?

Blood is what makes us human? Cofty...come on...what makes us human has nothing to do with blood.

CA

- A positive definition of "spirit" please.

The spirit is the non-corporeal non quantifiable substance. Usually its contrasted with the material body. You could call it "the unseen". That's one reason it is not physically testable. What causes us to be conscious? What is life? So far (and I speculate that it will never happen) science has not been able to bring anything to life. There is the missing "spirit", which is what is unseen but behind all life. Spirituality is recognizing the unseen that is behind life and behind what we see as physical nature. The outer world flows from the inner world. When you are connected to your own spirituality you are connected to the very source of everything in the world. You uplift your world by first transforming and uplifting your own inner world and your inner vision. I disagree with Psac that there was a time when humans did not have the "spirit".

Perhaps that is why atheists have a problem with "spirit" because they are captives of the idea "I only believe what I see".

• designs
    designs

If this was about Mighty Mouse you wouldn't have so many doubts.....

• cofty
    cofty

No one has to believe what the Bible says if they don't want to.

Cop-out.

The OP contains an assertion that Jesus has a human body. I asked a few sensible questions to clarify what was meant by that.

Page 3 and still no answer apart from

"we don't know yet"

and

"you are not spiritual enough to understand".

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

cofty : you do not want the truth ,like ca said his glorified body is not descirbed exactly what it is look at 1 john3:1;2. so you can talk about if he has a penis and anus or look at what the bible says.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

"you are not spiritual enough to understand"

Cofty, I didn't mean it that way. I meant that without understanding that there is something behind LIFE, there is no ability to understand. If science is able to recreate LIFE, then I will definitely have to reevaluate my belief. But thus far, science cannot (and IMO will not) create life. They can't give life to something using purely biological processes. Yet, even with information and knowledge at their disposal, it's still eluded them. Yet, somehow, life began without any outside information or knowledge going into it. It was all directionless and random. Yet, life still began.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The bodily resurrection is a very important part of Christianity. Since I was young, the mixture of Catholicism from my neighborhood and Wt exposure spooked me about his bodies. I can take Jesus as a human or Christ as God. The intermediate states leave me to hear "The Twilght Zone" in my head. I have no idea of the details of orthodoxy.

Christ's humanity is essential. As his Godhood. Yet his post Ressurection appearances are troubling to me. Mary Magdalene does not recognize unti he calls to her. Instantly, she knows it is Jesus. One second earlier, she had no idea. The road to Emmaeus-his very disciplines walk a long portion of the road, conversing with him, discussing the crucixion, yet it is only in breaking of bread, that Jesus is revealed. These stories must speak of a larger theme. If Jesus' postRessurection body was his own eartlhy body why did not his most initmate acquaintes recogize him. I am curious why postRessurection Jesus/Christ did ot bother to appear to his own family.

Also, he has a physical body and ascends into heaven in front of Witnesses. The body goes up into heaven. How? It is recorded in paintings as a physcial ascension yet satellites do not see any Jesus body of any type. Did he ascend as a spiritual creature and his witnesses buried the earthly body.

I prefer to think of this language as theology more than reallity b/c I can't understand it. Yes, I can research the beliefs of the early Church and report it but can I fathom it? No. It makes me very uneasy. This fluidity of humanity/Godliness reflected in the PostResurrection appearances are such a small part of the gospels yet essential to Christian doctrine. Can it possibly be literal?

Also, I don't see where the early Church would understand this anymore than we can?

• cofty
    cofty

Blood is what makes us human? Cofty...come on...what makes us human has nothing to do with blood. - CA

As I said above...

If he is a man he has a male human body. A body with no blood does not need a heart, lungs or circulatory system. He does not eat because without oxygen there is no respiration so he has no digestive system - does he have an anus? He also has no taste buds.

No muscles, since muscle contractions need oxygen - we can talk about the anaerobic energy system if you want.

No liver or kidneys or bladder.

He doesn't urinate so does he need a penis - not unless he is going to have sex - and if no penis then no balls either.

You know we could go on if we want.

I asked for a POSITIVE definition of "spirit".

You replied with 3 NEGATIVE statements...

non-corporeal -

non quantifiable substance.

unseen.

The idea that non-living things are animated by some stuff called "spirit" is woefully unscientific. The line between living and non-living is very fuzzy. There is zero evidence for any "ghost in the machine"

Do you want to have another go at a concise positive defintion of spirit?

• cofty
    cofty

you do not want the truth - unstop

Spoken by a christian with no answers to simple questions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit