5 Reasons Why the DEAF Masturbation Video is different than anything before...

by BluePill2 241 Replies latest jw friends

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

KS,

I have a deaf second cousin and I have a blind first cousin once removed. I had an employee that was an institutionalized, handicapped young adult. And I've had classmates with various disabilities. I'm no stranger to these realities.

Let me make this very clear... I NEVER SAID THAT THE DEAF COULD NOT READ OR ARE IN ANY WAY IGNORANT. Where you're coming at me with that argument is beyond me.

Quite the contrary. My argument is that THE DEAF CAN SPELL. There is no good reason for WT to use such suggestive gestures for both male and female masturbation repeatedly in that video. English WT publications use the least descriptive term for the action (English has far more desciptive terms for jacking off than "masturbation"), yet ASL chooses the most graphic gesture and expresses it for both genders. WT has made this content available to everyone on the Internet. In that very page that you pointed me to, Lady Lee said:

"I just know that as an interpreter I would have signed the word. And while the adults understood then they could explain it later to their children in a manner appropriate to their age."

I understood that to mean that she would have spelled the word rather than make the gesture that she was stroking the male genitals or rubbing the female genitals. On page 1 of the thread, Lady Lee said:

"as an ex-interpreter I find that disgusting."

I think you are the one that needs to reread Lady Lee's posts. Over and over, she expressed that she is not comfortable with those signs of male and female masturbation in front of an audience. That's the point I'm questioning. Yes, I understand that Iamallcool and jeanpicard said that those were the signs, but is that the only option for PUBLIC performance. Neither one stated that they would sign exactly like that in front of a congregation. Jeanp said that he finds it amusing:

"I still find these videos amussing, but who wouldn't?"

Okay, so why should I get condemned if I find this WT video amusing? Who am I supposed to apologize to? Jeanp is laughing too! He continues:

"If you really want to see a creepy one, watch the Chapter on molestation on the Learn from the Great Teacher DVD. But, keep in mind that there really is no better way to sign it."

Okay, maybe there's no better way to say it in the American vernacular than "jack off", yet WT still uses "masturbation" in their printed publications. Maybe there's "no better way to sign it" in ASL, but aren't there otherways to sign it that are less "amusing"? I've already stated that access to the sign on other ASL websites was blocked as adult content. The kid on YouTube said that it was a "dirty word". Elsewhere, I already pointed out that the lady signing in ASL on YouTube discusses the subject without the WT style of graphic masturbation gestures. She's deaf, yet discusses masturbation without anything like this:

And I already pointed out that on most of the other Sign Languages on jw.org website varied from noticable that it was masturbation, to Russian where you couldn't tell the word was even used. Seriously, check it out. Then come back and compare it to ASL. It's as if WT was begging for this to go viral on YouTube. None of the other Sign Languages did the lingering strokes and facial expressions that the ASL guy did. In the time he took to sign "I'm jacking my penis, now this is a vagina and this is where you rub it and the face you make while doing it", he could have spelled "masturbation".

And if you listen to the English MP3 recording, John Miller is reading it as if he was reading my dry, boring thermodynamics textbook. He doesn't put the drama in as if he was actually jacking off while he read it. He certainly could have. He's been used for many drama voices. I wish he would have, it would have gotten the meaning of the text so much clearer... and it would have been hilarious. If other languages would have laughed at how John read the appendix about masturbation as if he were having an orgasm, I wouldn't take it as insulting to my language.

Which reminds me, I need to go finish my thermodynamics homework.

But I still think that a deaf person would be able to understand that the subject was masturbation without the signer repeatedly and graphically portrayed both male and female genital stimulation while making an orgasm face. Like I said, I don't think that the deaf are at all stupid.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"THEY made it public, not WT."

Look again. Watchtower made it public right here => http://www.jw.org/apps/index.html?option=QrYQFVTrlBBX&selLang=ASL&selPub=732

Seriously, it's an easy 4 mouse clicks from their homepage, no scrolling or keyboarding needed. And in their list of available ASL publications, it's 5th on the list. The 13 publications listed below it include various tracts and brochures for the public. Even their primary study publication, the Bible Teach book, for recruiting people into the cult is further down on the list than this publication. You have to scroll down to even find it. Clearly, WT has placed this toward the front of their ASL bookshelf. In their list of English publications, it considerably farther down on the list. And for as much as they've been trying to drum up excitement for this revamped website, how can they turn around and say, "we don't want you looking at what we've put on our website"?

And the ASL publication could easily arouse curiousity since it is noted as chapter 22 in ASL, but the English publication has only 17 chapters. That appendix subject isn't even noted in the front of the printed publication. If someone was concerned that they were missing out on some life-saving spiritual food, they might feel the urgency of checking out this extra material available in ASL.

• cedars
    cedars

Further to Billy's excellent point, if you're going to post videos of any kind on the internet, you'd BETTER be prepared for someone to put them on YouTube.

It takes 5-10 minutes max to upload a video of that length to YouTube (once it's been downloaded). The Watchtower's tech guys should know this.

Copyright and "fair use" laws aside, if the Society thinks they can put whatever videos they want on their website without the more controversial of these finding their way onto YouTube to receive public scrutiny and/or mockery, then they're totally naive to the realities of the internet.

Maybe they've learned this lesson now, but certainly the two interpreters in the video have paid a heavy personal price for Watchtower's credulousness.

Cedars

• cedars
    cedars

We're now on 618,653 views - according to the figure shown in the menu rather than the figure shown with the video (which is currently 579,119). It's perfectly feasible that this video could cross the 1 million views mark, making it easily the most viewed JW-related YouTube video ever (not counting videos about Michael Jackson where JWs are mentioned in passing).

Interestingly, the likes/dislikes is very evenly poised with 1,245 for and 1,161 against.

Cedars

• BluePill2
    BluePill2
    You need to get real. I think a video is funny, and now I am culturally insensitive and my world view is off?? If others don't get ASL, that is not my problem; deal with them. I am not responsible for educating every fool out there, that seems to be your job. WTF?? You don't know me at all.

Pistoff:

King Solomon: alone the name you have picked says a lot about you - will you strike us all with gawds wrath? Beheading or Stoning, which will it be? You come off as self-righteous and treat people in a condescending way, because "OMG, DISABLED PEOPLE". I have worked with disabled people and believe me they are more chilled than you think. I bet deaf persons are laughing about the video, because it IS RIDICULOUS.

EVERYBODY finds this video funny. Period. Now you can consider 90% of the world "insensitive assholes", I DON'T CARE! ALL of us had for way too long to justify every one of our human instincts, reactions, laughter, giggling, sexual urges before a body of crippling old man, I had all my Life to ask and re-ask if something was "right" "OK" or "correct".

You know what? I will laugh AND fap to this video if I want so. Go deal with it. I am not here to justify myself, i laughed hard, hell I had tears laughing at this video. I just expressed my normal human, first reaction and it feels damn good! If you think I will go to hell for this, than so be it. At least the party will be fun. If hell exists (it doesn't!) I sure hope it will finally be free of people like you and most elders and CO's and whatnot.

Cheers to you all.

Enjoy Life as it is a short ride.

Back to insensitively laughing at deaf persons video.

• BluePill2
  • mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I showed the video and the gifs to my husband (he's never been a jw). He found them funny and for him it's just another thing to add to his jw cult list.

• simon17
    simon17

WHO exactly posted it on YouTube for all the World to see? It wasn't WT. Try again....

This is just flat out wrong.

What does the WT always say and warn against regarding things like Facebook? Once you upload something to the Internet it is there forever. Don't upload anything to the Internet you don't want to be seen and shared. Don't they repeatedly hammer this point in about the dangers of the Internet? And, in giving this strong admonition, they are talking about uploading to places that are restricted sites (i.e., a private social media account). This video upload was NOT password protected, NOT account protected, did NOT require a log-in, NOTHING. This video was not only made public by the WT, it was POSTED AS PUBLICLY AS ANYTHING POSSIBLY CAN BE.

I understand you're sensitive to ASL being the subject of (or vehicle for) ridicule. But you need to take a step back and be objective because the post you made in response to me was entirely irrational. You've made some valid points in this thread, but now you're just arguing for arguments sake against anyone because of your personal sensibilities to this subject.

• BluePill2
    BluePill2
    but now you're just arguing for arguments sake against anyone because of your personal sensibilities to this subject.

I feel sorry if this two get mocked at the supermarket. BUT, lets see ALL perspectives and angles here, not only OMFG, DEAF, YOU'R ALL GOIN TO HELL.

I don't care if they where deaf AND in a wheelchair, they are being used BY the Society to control and mess with other peoples lifes! In this case deaf people. From my experience they have more difficulties to relate to other people (if they are not tied into a strong deaf community) and therefore have even more tendency to masturbate (as I've said before, I have worked with deaf persons and will not tell you why and where). It is their OWN RIGHT to do so and NO: Bronze-age-invisible Guy will NOT strike them with light and thunder.

Sure enough, I don't know about these two, how fanatic they are into this, but they are being USED by the WT$ which USES DEAF persons to give themselves a "nice guy image" - I will also not tell you how and why I know this, but the great "avalanche" of "OOOHHHH, we should help the deaf" came after they noticed that this is not only a good publicity stunt but also a good economical move. I will leave it there for you on how they figured out how to make more moolah thanks to this.

To use your skewed logical thinking here, King Solomon, let me be skewed and crazy as well: I DON'T CARE IF SOMEONE IS DEAF, if Hitler used deaf spokespersons to rally for his party, than it would still be wrong, the message would still be shitty and the background evil. No matter how many disabled persons where used.

Next point: I sure as hell hope that they stop producing videos in any sign language and that the current group of interpreters start dropping like flies on a hot summer day!

Last, but not least: FUCK DMCA, FUCK the Watchtower. Both use their existance to oppress others. DMCA is all "nice and dandy" if it serves big corporate interests, never to protect the small guy (and I refer especially to small artists, singers, etc.).

Fuck being politically correct. We have to always use "silk gloves" and respect when it comes to religion or "protected groups", but it is a one-way street. I don't want to treat the WT "in a correct and fair" way, because they didn't give shit when they messed up my Life, my marriage, my family. AND DON'T YOU DARE TO SAY IT WAS MY OWN DECISION - FAULT. Fuck you for even thinking that!

Also: stop treating deaf persons like "special groups" or like some "weird animals", because that is how it sounds in your writings. They are humans, that can't hear. That's it. They also like to be treated as such - equals. So, talk, help make fun, as you would with any other person.

• Mary
    Mary

I am just seeing this now. Holy christ, what were they thinking, making a video like this?! That second guy in the video looks like he's had plenty of practice. LOL.

The Society gets dumber and wackier with each new video they make.......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit