5 Reasons Why the DEAF Masturbation Video is different than anything before...

by BluePill2 241 Replies latest jw friends

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

KS says:

Sure, the video is graphic, but that's a beef best taken up with ASL Institute, not WTBTS. We had a recent news story about a 3 yr old deaf kid (Hunter) where the school district wanted him to change his name, since the sign violated their threatening gesture policy. That quickly backfired on them, as the ACLU threatened to sue them if Hunter's ADA rights were threatened...

What does the harassment of a child have to do with this?

You are missing the point. The point is that the society is so obsessed with sex and masturbation that someone vetted this video, even with the hilarious ASL translation complete with great (and unnecessary) facial expressions, and decided it was good copy, good doctrine, and should go on a public website.

There is NO disrespect for ASL, only the puritans at the top of the WT heap.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Pistoff said:

What does the harassment of a child have to do with this?

You are missing the point. The point is that the society is so obsessed with sex and masturbation that someone vetted this video, even with the hilarious ASL translation complete with great (and unnecessary) facial expressions, and decided it was good copy, good doctrine, and should go on a public website.

There is NO disrespect for ASL, only the puritans at the top of the WT heap.

No, you are missing the BIGGER point:

The signs you find "hilarious" ARE an accepted part of the ASL, as confirmed by many deaf posters and translators.

The parallel between the Hunter case and this masturbation video is that BOTH signs (in Hunter's case, the hand gesture of a pointed finger simulating a gun; in JW video, emulating masturbation) ARE signs that are part-and-parcel of ASL. Making fun of his finger sign isn't to be tolerated under all basic principles of human decency (not to mention the ADA); same thing here.... What you call "hilarious" IS someone else's PRIMARY means of communication in public with others: do you make fun of people with Chinese accents, too, or mock people with speech impediments? Same thing, no matter how you want to spin it.

Some non-translators will think that the 10 words of 'masturbation' should be spelled out to avoid the embarrassment, but the problem is that spelling it out takes much more time, and for live translations the public speaker doesn't introduce a pause, or slow down their speech cadence to allow extra time every time they say the word, so the translator quickly falls behind, and the words get "crowded" and harder to read. There's a reason the facial expressions are used: it's a more expressive way to supplement the gestures, in a more compact time-frame.

My concern is YOU may not think it's being disrespectful for ASL, but being that many here clearly ARE ignorant of ASL, then it's not your call: this IS a case of cultural insensitivity, due to general public's ignorance (eg bigots see nothing wrong with using racial slurs: they just truly don't see how it could be offensive to others, as they're so wrapped up in THEIR World).

If the World operated as you suggest, then sexual harassment laws would depend on the intent of the harasser, and not the subjective experience of the target of sexual harassment. I can assure you that it's ALL about the perception of the target, as it is here....

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Once more, in all caps, so you get the point:

THE POINT IS NOT THAT THERE IS A GRAPHIC DEPICTION OF MASTURBATION IN ASL. WHO CARES, REALLY.

IT'S THAT THE WT THINKS IT IS GREAT POLICY TO PUT UP AN ENTHUSIASTIC ASL VIDEO SAYING MASTURBATION IS BAD BAD BAD.

It's the WT decision to put up this video that has created this hilarious set of clips.

No WT putting this up, no hilarity.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff
    If the World operated as you suggest, then sexual harassment laws would depend on the intent of the harasser, and not the subjective experience of the target of sexual harassment. I can assure you that it's ALL about the perception of the target, as it is here....

What the hell are you talking about? Now you compare an enthusiastic and emotive ASL diatribe about masturbation by a repressed culty to yet another thing that is completely unrelated.

You need to get real. I think a video is funny, and now I am culturally insensitive and my world view is off??

If others don't get ASL, that is not my problem; deal with them.

I am not responsible for educating every fool out there, that seems to be your job.

WTF??

You don't know me at all.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Search youtube for "dirty signs" and you'll find literally loads of stuff like these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-eMVYvPGcg&has_verified=1

Note the masturbation sign, and have fun....

Just realize Kristen's videos are controversial, as some deaf and hearing people are upset.

Here's one example:

Just a little summary so you know what my opinion is in the meantime... I think that a hearing person (like Kristin and myself) needs to understand their place in the Deaf-world and community. We should never consider ourselves experts on sign language, we should never ignore Deaf people about their own language, and we should never appropriate their culture for monetary gain, which I feel Kristin is doing with her videos and new book deal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkFkUD3RKHA&feature=related

• Pistoff
    Pistoff
    What you call "hilarious" IS someone else's PRIMARY means of communication in public with others: do you make fun of people with Chinese accents, too, or mock people with speech impediments? Same thing, no matter how you want to spin it.

The graphic depiction of male and female masturbatin ASL is funny to me; I have never seen it. It is obviously funny to most who also never knew it and saw it for the first time. That makes me, and them, maybe not as mature and sensitive as you.

No, it is not the same thing as mocking accents; if you think so, sorry for your logic skills.

It might be funny to you too, if you didn't have a corn cob up your ass.

• Stealth
    Stealth

Isn't the 'finger sign' as called by KS really a universal language?

I can go anywhere in the world walk up to any adult, give them the 'finger sign' and they will know exactly what I am saying. I don't need to know ASL, they don't need to know ASL.

What other hand sign is so universally understood?

This has nothing to do with ASL and everything to do with the Watchtower organization.

• strymeckirules
    strymeckirules

go away KS and go read another watchtower magazine.

your views are not shared by many.

• Glander
    Glander

I agree, Pistoff. The concern over ASL doesn't insult deaf people. It does illustrate the narrow cult control of JW's

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

KS: "The signs you find "hilarious" ARE an accepted part of the ASL, as confirmed by many deaf posters and translators."

I must have missed this. Who said these are accepted signs for ASL public usage? I mean, "sh!t" is a commonly understood English word, but it's not acceptible for public usage.

Except for usage in this video by WT, I've found the sign for "masturbate" blocked on ASL websites as "adult content" and the girl on YouTube said it was a "dirty word". And why did the "dirty word girl" leave out the sign for female masturbation? The other YouTube below, with the ASL woman that comments on the WT masturbation video makes no sign anything like what is on the WT video. She explains in the description that she's talking about masturbation, but she doesn't use explicit signs like the WT video does. I think there's a subtle gesture, but I can't tell for sure. Is she not signing correctly, or is her explanation not understood without using gestures simulating genital stimulation and an "O" face?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_XIho8bTyo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit