5 Reasons Why the DEAF Masturbation Video is different than anything before...

by BluePill2 241 Replies latest jw friends

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

JW's should have protected people from adult language. If you go to the ASL web page you have to be a registered member to access mature signs like those being used in the video. There are ways to explain the subject without using the sign equivalent to "jack-off". Are deaf people incapable of subtlety? Or are deaf people incapable of reading actual words? Aren't sensitive subjects better handled by the written word? Obviously the Watchtower site intended to use that series as a way of demonstrating their ability to spread the word to all sorts of people. What they ended up doing is poking fun of a group of people that have fought desperately to overcome the "dumb" image.

But here is the real problem. Can't Jehovah protect the Watchtower from stupid mistakes like this?

Scotoma, that was a great comment that deserves to be repeated.

• Splash
    Splash

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but a version has been set to music and posted on liveleak.

I just saw it while i was browsing, didn't go searching for it.

It's called the Anti Masturbation remix.

Shame.

• Scott77
    Scott77

bttt

• still thinking
    still thinking

lamallcool....are you offended that people are laughing at this video? If you are I will stop laughing at it...otherwise....LOL

I find it ironic that the watchtower is trying to send a message to stop doing something and have chosen a languge that 'shows' us what not to do.

More fool you watchtower Idiots. Got yourselves laughed at by your own stupidity and the stupidity of your message. People are laughing because your message is a joke and you couldn't have picked a better way to prove that. Telling deaf people not to masturbate bit you in the ass. Serves you right.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Billy said:

I must have missed this. Who said these are accepted signs for ASL public usage? I mean, "sh!t" is a commonly understood English word, but it's not acceptible for public usage.

You and many others must've missed it, as this was discussed about 5 days ago by those with actual experience in ASL (being interpreters, like moderator Lady Lee, or those who actually are hearing-impaired, like posters jeanpicard, MC Mallet, LAMallcool). Unfortunately, those posters' comments have been shouted down by people with their agenda and ignorance: THEIR voices, which is sad. Pay particular attention to the mod's comments (jgnat and Lady Lee).

Read the entire thread, but if you must read only one page, here's a link to page 8, where jeanpicard provides answers to many of the ignorant statements made even in this thread explaining why ASL is a different language than English, why reading is harder for the deaf (but note, not impossible), that the translators in the video ARE deaf, etc.

You guys ARE laughing at two actual hearing-impaired translators, who are REAL PEOPLE, who have real human feelings. Nice work!

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/235152/8/wts-made-a-video-about-masturbation-IN-SIGN-LANGUAGE-WITH-GESTURES

I worked as a doctor, and some of the most memorable patients I encountered and had the privilege of helping were those brave young patients with smiles and strong spirits who had physical disabilities (amblyopia, crossed eyes, blindness, multi-sensory processing defects, hearing-impaired, developmentally-delayed, suffering from physical abuse/neglect, failure to thrive, learning disabilities, Down's syndrome, etc). You have NO idea what it's like for their parents, who will do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING possible to provide the best lives possible for their children, even when they know their child will often never be completely 'normal', but always 'different' from the rest of the World, and looked down upon. You'd THINK ex-JWs would understand what that's like to be the outcast, except to be different for other reasons than retarded social development. You can LEAVE the JWs; you cannot leave deafness or Downs Symdrome. You'd think some would understand Jesus' commands to take care of the blind and crippled, but appraently that's be left back at the KH, too.

If there WERE karma or justice, the fate deserved by some here would to be FORCED to deal with the difficulties encountered in the lives of these brave children, or perhaps be blessed with a child born with some of these conditions. I guarantee you there'd be a crash-course in empathy and human decency, and the light would instantly turn on in some heads (not all: some parents can't handle it, and leave the child and spouse behind). Some would be FORCED to deal with the challenges encountered by these kids in obtaining for their special educational needs and services, the basics needed just to make it in the World where they are 'different' (if not bullied, teased, taunted, by the other kids).

• InquiryMan
  • simon17
    simon17

You and many others must've missed it, as this was discussed about 5 days ago by those with actual experience in ASL (being interpreters, like moderator Lady Lee, or those who actually are hearing-impaired, like posters jeanpicard, MC Mallet, LAMallcool). Unfortunately, those posters' comments have been shouted down by people with their agenda and ignorance: THEIR voices, which is sad.

I have read a lot on this issue and I feel this way:

Even if:

1) The signers in this video are using valid ASL (which I think we all agree they are)

AND

2) Even if he signers are using signs commonplace and acceptable in the ASL community (which I have read actual ASL and deaf people say mixed things about, probably more that this is the common signs but certainly not all have said that)

AND

3) Even if the signers are using signs commonplace and acceptable in a church with small children (which is nearly impossible for me to believe)

Even if all those were true, this video still had to pass by and get approved by dozens of people, from cameramen to producers to programmers to website people to the webmaster to those people's overseers. I presume these people weren't all ASL or deaf. Didn't one of them raise the question "We're putting this on our public webpage? That shit's unacceptable."

And I'm not saying it is unacceptable because I am ignorant of ASL. I find it unacceptable to be having graphically worded talks and WT studies about oral sex, anal sex, masturbation, homosexual intercourse, manipulation of the genitila, etc when there are young children of all ages present. But words on a page are not buzz worthy, and so are confined to within the group (just as are these graphic gestures in the ASL community if in fact they are commonplace to use). But when you put this thing up publicly, I mean it is just asking for trouble. How can they not see this would be a ridiculous mistake. It just so graphically illustrates the written and oral mistake of talking about these topics to the entire non-ASL public and just underscores their ridiculousness in video format for all to see.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

As a born in who remembers the horrified look on my mothers face when, at the meeting at age 3 I asked, " What does fornication mean? What does adultry mean? Hearing or deaf signing is irrelevant. JWs have for at least 60 yrs (probably much longer) used language and subjects inappropriate for children at the KH. The fact that much of what they stated as "Jehovah's viewpoint" was nowhere found in the scriptures is reason enough to leave the subjects alone.

I remember some idiot who many years ago gave a talk to the hearing about the Song of Soloman. His talk would have been rated R if made into a movie. He REALLY got sexually explicit with his descriptions. When it was over the whole audience needed a cigarette! There were many children under 8yrs old whose parents were very uncomfortable. They mistakenly thought THEY would be able to decide when and how they would explain the "facts of life" to their kids. If this talk would have been put on video I guarentee it would have also gone viral.

Inapropriate is inappropriate whether spoken or signed. If a speaker uses his voice, facial expressions and words in an over-dramatic way, IT'S FUNNY! !! Otherwise, how in the heck did Jim Carey get so popular????? Can you imagine Jim Carey giving a talk about the "Sin of Self-Abuse" with the WT$s OWN manuscript?????? ALL of us would be on the floor LOL. It's the delivery stupid. The hispanic translator is funny period. I'll bet his marriage talk is fuunny and even his announcements are funny. He's the deaf communities answer to Outlaw and Billy the ex Bethalite. Get it?

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Simon 17 said:

"But when you put this thing up publicly, I mean it is just asking for trouble. How can they not see this would be a ridiculous mistake. It just so graphically illustrates the written and oral mistake of talking about these topics to the entire non-ASL public and just underscores their ridiculousness in video format for all to see."

WHO exactly posted it on YouTube for all the World to see? It wasn't WT. Try again....

It seems some parties decided to snoop around the deaf-language section of the JW.org website where these videos were located for ASL use, and use them without permission (likely in violation of US copyright law), to drag them onto YouTube to make them public. Those who say it shouldn't be in public where childen can see them probably ARE correct: those uploaders legally had no right to distribute them without the owners permission, and they probably should be located behind an age-block on YouTube: it's likely against YT policy, if they're not (but thats between the uploader account and YT, S well as any fraud if/when they claimed ownership of the videos: they don't).

Uploading to YT wasn't anyone else's call to make except WTBTS, those who own the material. Any laughing jackal who did so only needs to look at themselves in the mirror to place blame for making it public: THEY made it public, not WT. That's exactly WHAT copyright means: the RIGHT to control what happens to COPIES, and WHERE they go.

Yes, there ARE fair use situations (I have a few videos up on YT that I've successfully fought DMCA takedowns for, on fair use grounds, over the past 5 years), but you've got to be careful, or YT will delete the account if you don't know how to use the counter-notice process AND aren't willing to face the prospect of having a subpoena served to appear in Fed Court to defend your use case.

I'm a HUGE fan and supporter of eff.org (Lawrence Lessig's legal team supporting free speech rights on the internet, out of the Bay Area) and a critic of aggregious copyright owners' abuse of DMCA takedown process, but this IS a pretty damned good example of WHY copyright law exists: only the owner should exercise how the material they produce gets distributed; I've not seen a 'fair use' of the footage yet that seems valid to survive in Fed Court. Fed Court Judges generally don't consider making fun of disabled as a protected use, and that's exactly how this is likely to be viewed in the eyes of a Court, a defo tough case to claim 'fair use' (and you're looking at serious fines/penalties if you lose).

Further, by using the material on JWN, the site is at risk for being served DMCA takedowns by WTBTS, and that puts Simon et al in a bind.

There's an old saying about fools rushing in where angels fear to tread: I'd advise back-peddling, as this is a no-winner however you cut it, unless you enjoy learning about copyright law while sweating bullets while sitting on the testimony chair in chambers of a Federal Courthouse.

• cedars
    cedars

King Solomon

You guys ARE laughing at two actual hearing-impaired translators, who are REAL PEOPLE, who have real human feelings. Nice work!

I can't speak for others, but I'm personally laughing at the organization that gave them their script and pushes such silly doctrines on people.

As for the interpreters who are now forever-immortalized on the internet doing lurid gestures, I feel sorry for them. But it's the fault of the Watch Tower Society. They're the ones who produced the video and made it available online.

Further, by using the material on JWN, the site is at risk for being served DMCA takedowns by WTBTS, and that puts Simon et al in a bind.

I would let Simon worry about that if I were you. I'm sure he isn't bothered in the slightest.

Cedars

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit