5 Reasons Why the DEAF Masturbation Video is different than anything before...

by BluePill2 241 Replies latest jw friends

• cedars
    cedars

This whole thing has taken me completely by surprise. It would be nice if we could garner some external attention over harmful JW teachings of slightly more gravity, i.e. shunning, or the handling of pedophiles. However, anything that highlights the wackiness and outright stupidity of JW beliefs to the wider world is fantastic. Sadly, I doubt any of this uproar will register with ordinary JWs on the inside. However, if it inclines just one person away from exploring JW beliefs and becoming a baptized Witness, then it will all be worthwhile. Judging by the number of YouTube views thus far, the number of people being warned away from JW teachings as a result of this may be running into the tens of thousands.

The internet is awesome!!

Cedars

• jgnat
    jgnat

Just think at what the Witness now has to worry about encountering in field service. It won't be, "I hear you guys don't celebrate Christmas", or, "Is it true you don't smoke or drink?" It will be, "Is it true you tell your deaf they cant...?"

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Jgnat: Of course tho, it's not just policy for the deaf, but all JWs. But it's good to make JWs squirm: I imagine many will look at their watch and 'remember' another appointment. :)

Jwfacts, I have no concerns as long as the topic is focused on policies, with an awareness this IS a protected group with rights under the ADA in the States (similar laws in other Nations), and that fact is remembered at all times. English language speakers/Gilead students are not protected groups. Just saying it needs to be kept in mind to avoid the temptation to handle it like its a Porky's or American Pie flick. It's very different....

EE, a common basic training urban legend which probably still survives is the one about the cooks putting salt-peter in food of trainees. It's been a long time, but I think abstinence from intercourse during basic is the protocol, defo forbidden on-base (sexual harrassment policy is taught), and guys tried like hell to get laid a rare weekend day pass downtown. Like you say, it's only part of the means of indoctrination used. But again, that's going back to 1980's for me, and policies differ across the various branches of service...

• scotoma
    scotoma

King Solomon: JW's should have protected people from adult language. If you go to the ASL web page you have to be a registered member to access mature signs like those being used in the video. There are ways to explain the subject without using the sign equivalent to "jack-off". Are deaf people incapable of subtlety? Or are deaf people incapable of reading actual words? Aren't sensitive subjects better handled by the written word? Obviously the Watchtower site intended to use that series as a way of demonstrating their ability to spread the word to all sorts of people. What they ended up doing is poking fun of a group of people that have fought desperately to overcome the "dumb" image.

But here is the real problem. Can't Jehovah protect the Watchtower from stupid mistakes like this?

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises
    Just saying it needs to be kept in mind to avoid the temptation to handle it like its a Porky's or American Pie flick.

But it looks like something out of Porky's or American Pie, lol!!

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Scotoma, that's a double-edged sword, as you run the risk of censorship for ASL over that used for English, which is equally biased and discriminatory. The WT/Awake articles with those words aren't behind a password-protected site, so why should the ASL version be?

See, that's part of the problem: we have people with little understanding of ASL making value judgments for them, based on limited understanding: that's potentially demeaning. It's not hard to imagine the org consulted with ASL committees (whether JW only, or outside the org) before they proceeded with making the videos; it doesnt seem to be a sloppily-produced effort to me, in the least....

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

It really is stupidity on the part of the Watchtower Society. While it's nice of them to produce videos for the deaf, when they realized that the signs for masturbation were so graphic they should have given it a pass.

http://scottleblog.wordpress.com

The Odd Life of Jehovah's Witnesses

• perfect1
    perfect1

is KS a watchtower apologist, or is it just me.

• elderelite
    elderelite

Perfect, i dont think i have ever seen KS be an apoligist. Trying to be realistic and balanced isnt sympathizing with the wt. if we are goingto voice legitimate concerns and be taken seriously then they have to be presented in a fair way. Misquotes and exagerations dont help and ive never KS make excuses for the org. He seems perfectly willing to condem.

The wt is a cult trying to control peoples sexual urges. Thats outrageous all on its own ;)

• elderelite
    elderelite

I thought about them giving it a pass, but they claim all recieve the same info at the same time so they are "unified" (meaning controlled). Really what makes the language of ASL any different than english or spanish etc etc? Its all rather graphic and unessary for a religious organization.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit