Watchtower's Billion Dollars of Property Cannot Be Sold until Outcome of Conti Appeal

by Dogpatch 171 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I find it hard to believe that there assets could be tied up so harshly. Businesses are routinely found liable. It is a cost of doing business for many/ If you are a certain size, you can expect certain liabilities. No business would survive such a move. Adequate provison must be made but I find it difficult to believe it so black and white.

I don't know the CA law. Too many arm chair analysts are jumping in with threads without doing enough research. I am not pointing to this one in particular. Don't drink the fine, rare Scotch unti the appeal is settled.

Don't think of the WT but think of any org. in the same position. There are differen ttypes of appeals, too, with different frameworks. When a CA lawyer goes on record and says it is the case in this particular case, I will believe it.

Trial judges can be wrong. It smacks of unfairness to me. Of course, it is hard to think clearly when the WT is involved b/c they are so creepy.

The Philadelphia monsignor was found guilty on one charge today. If his criminal conviction is upheld, it could be the death knell for the WT policy as we know it. This is a new area of law. Unlless a legislature acts, I expect this field will move forward in spurts and then reversals.. The RC cases are going ahead. CA is a weird state in legal circles. Only a few years ago imposing liability on a nonactor would have seemed bizarre. Society is demading liability on nonactors who cover up and create a culture that favors pedophila.

Yes, I would like to see code citations and quotes to CA legal treatises.

I am casually involved in these cases b/c of this forum. Part of me wonders, respectfully, why these matters were not researched before the fact of the verdict. It would also be nice if we only four or five threads going so there was some sense of a central place to go rather than thirty threads.

It is exciting, though. Perhaps I was a defense lawyer for too long. If it is true, the Wt has it coming in a fairness point of view.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

jakeM -

As I recall CC did not want to settle out of court as she wanted to force a change in the morally bankrupt policies of the Witchtower on Child Abuse.

Nobody has heard anything, but did the Society approach her with an offer of out of court compensation (along with gagging order)

HB

• agonus
    agonus

Folks, I think we're looking at a turn of events that could potentially lead to a Rutherford-level organizational power/paradigm shift. Don't be surprised if they spin this as fulfillment of end-times events, i.e. the government turning on religion or some such. Our prayers regarding the demise (or, failing that, reform) of the organization may indeed have been answered in a most unexpected fashion!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I do not wish to throw a spanner in the works, but British tax laws are very favorable to religions/charities. I know for certain "assets" have been moved over there for the last 10 years. I admit you can not move real estate. They will survive but will have to morph. I still think they will make everything a "conscience " issue and move to be less controlling. It is one of their few ways forward.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

J. R. Brown, a spokesman at the world headquarters of Jehovah’s Witnesses, commented: “The fact that Jehovah’s Witnesses abhor child abuse and strive to protect children from such acts is well-known.

If this were true why don't they instruct their elders to take every child abuse situation that comes up toward the proper authorities.

If perpetrators are using the no two witness rule to dodge being punished, then the police have ways to discern if there was CB.

Let them take over the investigation. As the WTS. says if there are no witnesses to this deplorable act, then let it rest in Jehovah's hands.

Right that really protects children........stupid ass holes.

What the WTS is really trying to protect is their own public image.......and that is "The Truth"

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I don't know if this has been answered or not. I did some quick internet searches this afternoon. In California, one appeals by posting an 'appeal bond". I read that the appeal bond costs the 1.5 times the amount of the award plus interest/costs. I have not had time to look up the actual law. Once they have the bond, then the court will likely lift that property sales ban.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

One thing you can be sure of....

MORE lawsuits to come

MORE pressure on the dubs

MORE responsible people leaving out of embarrassment and disgust.

What more could you ask for, reasonably speaking?

Sectarian splits over the WT playing the whore of Babylon. :-))

Randy

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Hi Outlaw,

nice picture! :-))

I don't know about the bond... we'll have to wait and see the disposition of the court I guess in light of the handwriting on the 3-page document. It seems like an added stay, but I'm no attorney.

Randy

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Your absolutley right Randy..This is just the begining..

It`s no longer about settling ..It`s about winning..

The WBT$ doesn`t Comprehend the Shit Storm that`s coming..

There seems to be a Shit Storm Brewing in New York..

News at 11:00

............................ ...OUTLAW

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Randy..

I got the Bond Info from a Silent Lambs post..

Bill doesn`t seem to think the frozen assets will remain frozen..But..

An added stay could make a difference..

I`m not a lawyer either so..I guess we wait and see..

I`m happy you like the pic..LOL!!..

............................ ...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit