Watchtower's Billion Dollars of Property Cannot Be Sold until Outcome of Conti Appeal

by Dogpatch 171 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Quendi
    Quendi

Randy believes that other groups will file amicus curiae briefs to support the Society in its fight against the Conti verdict and awards. He may well be right, but I am thinking that the plaintiff may also have as many if not more amicus briefs filed in her behalf. The WTS has many enemies, and when word of this latest development spreads, they may well contact her legal team asking if they can do just that.

Quendi

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

The freezing of wt’s property indicates:

· That the court means serious business

· That the court agrees with the jury verdict

· That the court does not trust wt like a “brother” with their holdings with their conduct and defense of the accusations.

I wondered also if the idea of freezing the assets was to make them think twice about an appeal. They may end up better off paying the $28 M and moving on. If they lose in a court appeal they will have the bad publicity again.

If they do chose to appeal and have to sell their property in 2+ years, they will say that Holy Spirit directed the delaying of the selling of property so that they could get a better price. Blah, Blah

Interesting if wt was presumed to be ready to settle out of court, why are they appealing it? What is money to the organization that is God’s representative on earth?

As far as the effect on the flock, I think they will probably handle this on a circuit level in the closing comments of the assembly. The DO will say something like, “I’m sure you have heard about this verdict”, briefly explain one side and then appear to be the real victim in the case. DO concludes with “we will have to wait on Jehovah”. Pass the plate. But on second thought, they said nothing about the UN matrimony and then disfellowshipped anyone that talked about it.

One thing for sure, the WT’s Master Spin Doctor will be on overtime.

Also most of corporate America has stopped the onslaught of sexual abuse charges. They are not in the news anymore. But corporations had lawyers re-write how they handled complaints and dealt with the problems. When the corporations were in court on allowing sexual abuse, politics could get involved with corporations that were paying hefty taxes already and be lenient. However, with wt, they don’t pay any taxes, and most of their followers are in the low income bracket.

• harleybear
    harleybear

Wow just got off the phone with a good friend who shared this good news. I just had to pop on to see what was being said. JakeM2012 you are dead on. The court sent a very strong message that they mean business. Even if only the assets in Brooklyn are involved it still has to sting. And I also agree with Quendi that there are friends of the court that very well may come out in support of the verdict and have their say. I sure am!!!

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Randy, you said, "One victim of their collectively abusive system, Candace Conti and her mother Kathleen, with the aid of attorneyRick Simons, paralegal Kelly..."

Kelly is not a paralegal. She is an attorney. Her name is Kelly Kraetsch, ESQ. State Bar No. 281688. Kelly did outstanding legal work on this case and she deserves all the appreciation we can muster.

Thank you Kelly,

Barbara

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

The WT seems to be between a rock and a hard place.

If they pay the award and move on, they can sell properties as they need to, but they set precedent and seem to be making an admission.

If they wait it out, they may be strapped for cash (by no means is this for sure, I think they have deep cash reserves).

• sf
    sf

I kid you not...I am absolutely light-headed and even a bit dizzy over this.

All the hard, hard footwork it took to finally get HERE.

What a relief this truly is.

This is just the start of an absolutely stoked weekend, for me. I cannot even wait to see what more is in store. First THIS. And this weekend will be filled up solely with helping special needs kids have a fabtabulous day at the beach.

WHAT A GAS! LIFE IS GOOD.

Anyone care to join me in their own version of THE HAPPY DANCE? BRUCE!! OUTLAW!! NORM!!!!!!!! Where IS Norman H.?? LOLOLOLOL

I'm so giddy right now. Try to pardon me please.

I think I might even dance mySelf right on into the shower now.

sKally, singing: JOHN COUGAR MELLENKAMPS...."WHEN THE WALLS KOME KRUMBLIN' DOWNNNNNN..."

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

With my limited knowledge and bystander approach, I would think that Watch Tower should pay, then transfer all assets making Watch Tower NY an entity that lives under a vow of poverty.

1. The case showed that Watch Tower NY was responsible because they were the policy makers, that is why Watch Tower PA was dropped as a defendant.

2. Most JW's have a short memory and will give the Organization the benefit of the doubt and move forward.

3. If Watch Tower NY no longer has assets, it will reduce the chance of further lawsuits.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Dogpatch:

This is a truly shocking story to hear that the religion's assets are being frozen! I almost don't believe I am reading this!

It makes me wonder, though, if certain "worldly" elements think the religion is going to cut and run somewhere like some disgraced foreign dictator. This is disgraceful and truly a slap in the face for the religion. A lawsuit is one thing but to have your assets frozen? Wow is all I can say.

• Refriedtruth
    Refriedtruth

I googled Catholic church assets frozen and it did happen/happening to them and it is scandalous ugly

www.russellshorto.com/ Last year the Vatican Bank had almost $30 million in assets frozen by Italian .... The Catholic Church hierarchy's history of manipulating data on this issue would ...
  • Vatican Bank Probed for Money Laundering - $34M in mystery funds ...
    www.newser.com/.../vatican-bank-probed-for-money-laundering.ht... Sep 22, 2010 – (Newser) – Italian authorities have frozen $34 million at the heart of a ... in the Vatican, where Italian authorities have frozed some $35 million in assets. .... who himself got it from the Catholic bishop in the Libyan capital. "I tend ...
  • JPMorgan Closes Vatican Account - The Daily Beast
    www.thedailybeast.com/.../jp-morgan-closes-vatican-account.html Mar 20, 2012 – The Catholic Church isn't known for its transparency, and that lack of openness is ... In 2010, its assets were frozen during an investigation into ...
  • Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

All I can Say is WOW...... Does anyone have this info in a clear "PR release form" I have a few newspaper editors interested in tying into the Sandusky and Catholic Church cases.

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit