Watchtower's Billion Dollars of Property Cannot Be Sold until Outcome of Conti Appeal

by Dogpatch 171 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Sayswho
    Sayswho

One last thing... NO MALICE INTENDED WITH THE HUMOR.. (I hope that was the correct way to use malice?)

Sw

• Gayle
    Gayle

is there a 'time frame' that the WTS would have to put up a 'bond' if they intend to appeal? Is there an escrow account that the courts have verification if an "appeal" is set?

this is interesting about 15% of state cases going for appeal,,half dismissed prior, small percentage reviewed going to court.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/newsroom/pressreleases/2006/BJS07062006.htm

• Band on the Run
  • Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I am having trouble posting. Test.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

marked

• thecrushed
    thecrushed

Marked!

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

I see a huge push for 'donations' at every meeting. Probably under the guise of some other need. Maybe even a new WT article about the evil media and Internet. Although this scandal will open many eyes, many more will close even tighter.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

The main players in this case are convinced that the WT cannot get out of it by a bond.

I would imagine that an attorney who has prosecuted dozens of cases like this with the Catholic Church would at least know that much and tell their clients as such, but this is not the case.

That's all I can say for now. We shall see.

Randy

• cedars
    cedars

Randy - that's interesting. Let's watch this space, I guess.

Cedars

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Justitia,

I can only assume and hope that you, too, will have an illustrious career. Perhaps you already have.

You don't understand how big law worked. and works. Yes, they promise you pro bono work. The first day I started we met in the nicest conference rooms and several partners related their pro bono experience and all the future fun we have doing something socially worthwhile. Senior associates pulled me aside b/c I might believe the partners. Nothing is in writing. The reality is that they want you do to pro bono because you can learn litigation skills on a guinea pig rather than their paying clients. Yes, pro bono is fine, as long as you have already billed 70-80 hrs. week.

Yes, they had a few cases that caused concern among the partners. A close friend was able to argue before the U.S. Supreme Court two years out of law school. The New York Times reported liked him so he also received extravagant press attention. Their bottom line is they are there to make money. The strange thing is that I now agree with them.

Most the sexy ACLU cases are litigated by large firms. A true public interest lawyer has trouble finding work. I always made and still make time b/c I would go crazy not doing so. There is humor in matching these law firms' regular clients with their pro bono clients. Some right wingers wanted to force corporations to fire their outside counsel for doing ACLU work. Promising pro bono keeps young associates interested.

I would never tell anyone who was not a close friend that I was once a Witness, nor would I reveal why writing an op-ed piece matters to me. They suffered poor people and women. JWs won't fly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit