Watchtower's Billion Dollars of Property Cannot Be Sold until Outcome of Conti Appeal

by Dogpatch 171 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Longhairgal: I posted information from four of the latest filed court documents last night so that we can accurately understand what led up to the judge's decision. Maybe you and others will benefit from reading them.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/child-abuse/227462/1/Read-what-happened-in-court-June-19th-20th-A-summary-copied-from-court-documents

Barbara

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Good morning Randy!..

This is Friggin Hillarious..

If the WBT$ sits on 1 Billion Dollars worth of frozen assets for 2 years..

They`re Screwed..

If the WBT$ pays out the Judgement,it sets a Precident for up coming cases and..

They`re Screwed..

After mercelessly Screwing Everyone for Decades..

The WBT$ is finally Screwing Themselves..

It`s a good thing the WBT$ owns shares in "Tobacco Giant" Phillip Morriss..

Mother WatchTower can have a Cigarrete when it`s all done..

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/smoking,alone,bed,smoke,woman,smoking,sexy-886123894477bcf62f8f4ed2ee2d7c9a_h_large.jpg

............................ ...OUTLAW

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

I am very curious to see how this case turns out, and any resulting changes/repercussions within the org as a result.

• jam
    jam

THE END IS NEAR, PROCLAIM TO ALL THAT ARMAGEDDON

WILL SOON BE , for the Watchtower.

• jws
    jws

I haven't been following what's happening to the Brooklyn buildings. Are they empty? Have they completely moved out of them and they're up for sale now? If not, then from a real estate layman's point of view, what's the big deal? I'm living in my house and if somebody tells me I can't sell it for 2 years, how does that affect me? Wasn't planning to move and it would only seem to affect me if I were forced to relocate.

As for the affect on JWs, the JWs have been able to spin everything all along. Each new scandal takes its toll on the population of JWs when it breaks. Then it continues to take it's toll at a lesser degree for years to come. But it doesn't kill them.

I'm sorry, but after so many years of watching these things happen, I've got a wait and see attitude. Every time, "THIS" is the scandal that will rock their world. And people on this board jump up and down applauding and clapping that their end is near, but the organization survives and goes on. It's almost the same as JWs applauding any time a perceived sign of the end happens. Yet life keeps chugging on. Have all the reports of abuse so far sunk them? Has the UN scandal ended them? Had Franz's defection in the 80's taken them down? Have their own convoluted doctrinal changes killed them?

The JWs will be able to spin this to their rank and file. They will probably spin it as lies in the media and being oppressed. And that it's just another sign of the end. The average JW won't read through pages of court documents and something in their JW conscience will probably tell them they shouldn't anyway. So they will probably go away thinking it's just one bad JW that is to blame and that the organization got dragged in by greedy lawyers. Any hint that the society is actually guilty of something will be blocked from their minds, even if they end up being punished with fines to pay. This subject will never be addressed specificially from a platform, but talks will be given about Satan's org attacking and the need to remain faithful.

Some will leave to be sure. Others will stay, convinced that this comes from Satan, lashing out with greater boldness as he knows how short his time is.

Seriously folks. To the JWs, the courts are part of Satan's wicked system. Is anything they decide against JWs to be trusted or believed?

I would enjoy seeing their cult die off as much as the rest of you, but it's going to be a slow attrition in my opinion. So be patient and wait it out. I'd measure their end by decades, not months or years.

And as somebody said, "end" is not the word. Extremely loyal ones will continue on in some form.

• cedars
    cedars

jws - I think you're understating the significance of the Society losing its first child abuse lawsuit, and the avalanche of similar lawsuits this jury verdict will trigger.

The impact on active witnesses is only part of the story. The financial toll this will take on the Society (i.e. with repeated lawsuits), and the impact on its reputation through media exposure are of real significance. Like you say, it won't happen overnight. However, many of us (I don't include myself) have waited for this sort of development for decades. We're prepared to wait as long as it takes for this to have its full effect, but it's only a matter of time.

Cedars

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Randy..

What if the WBT$ gets a bond to cover the judgement?..

This is a Skeeter1 post on another thread:

http://www.californiaappeals.com/civil-appeals-process.html
    "The default rule under California law is that the filing of a notice of appeal stays a judgment or order automatically. However, there are significant exceptions, which together seem to swallow up the rule. Perhaps the biggest of these involves money judgments. A money judgment is not stayed on appeal (unless the money is only for costs and attorney fees). In order to stay it, the party who was unsuccessful at trial needs to post a bond or other form of undertaking. The bond must be for 1.5 times the amount of the judgment. Although it is theoretically possible to seek a waiver of the bond requirement, these are very rarely granted.

Bonds can also stay other types of judgments or orders where the stay is not automatic. There, the size of the bond is normally set by the trial court."

The WBT$ would have to come up with over 40 million dollars to cover it..

• wasblind
    wasblind

Ole Wuz doin' the Happy Dance, come on Outlaw, lets do the Robot !!!!!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

People sometimes under estimate how much wealth the WTS. has, for example the Canadian branch posted a financial surplus of between 60

and 70 million . Same too for the UK branch, so if these smaller countries have that much money on hand, how much does the Headquarters

in New York have on hand ?

Another very good possibility is that like the other child abuse cases in California, the WTS paid a out of court settlement with a gag policy

toward the victims. Could this case go in the same direction ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit