If you don't know what's wrong it can't be fixed

by N.drew 220 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sabastious
    sabastious
    There's so much we don't know and can't know right now. And I'm good with that.

I personally cannot reconcile your statement and the idea that there is no intelligent life greater than us. The facts we can't know could be known by something else which would effectively make that entity greater than I and my species (a god). So, if there's intelligence that is greater than I, (a god) it could be said that I may have been caused by that intelligence. Therefore, I operate on the belief that I was caused by an intelligent force. It's just a theory, I know, but so is everything else. However it's important to note that not all theories are created equal.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    What I see, when boiled down, is that most secularists I know are interested in TRUTH as much as the next guy. In fact, they are worried that misinformation is being passed on as TRUTH. So they are attempting to keep religionists from asserting AS TRUTH that which cannot be proven using a consistent standard of judgment.

Which is why I can get along with secularists just fine. Their cause is just and perfectly acceptable beside the cause of believers. However if secular "truth" is used to bully a believer into feeling bad about their methods or conclusions or denying the existence of their creator is when I take issue.

-Sab

• N.drew
    N.drew
    If the unexplained is somehow "explained" 300 different ways, based on different cultures, anecdotes, upbringings, customs, etc.... is it really explained

No

most secularists I know are interested in TRUTH as much as the next guy.

This is good IF there is no denying discovery.

Is it possible to discover something one believes with all their heart doesn't exist?

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    SBC: Religion/spirituality does not, but is based on feelings.
    SAB: This is very incorrect SBC. Religion and spirituality are based upon human experience.

Okay, religion/spirituality are based on experience,... as in perception and memories of perception, both of which are subject to feeble psyches, biases, fallacious thinking, etc... I rank that alongside feelings. Not that I'm poo-pooing feelings, mind you, but I think it's important to distinguish that science relies on a more consistent standard of judgment to understand the universe.

All systems of religion and spirituality, that stuck in culture, are based off of revelation, not feelings.

And how does one distinguish real revelation from a mental episode? What method is used?

We are talking about the 5 senses here which are fundemental to the scientific method.

Observation is important to scientific method. But without the REST of the scientific method, all you have are untestable, unverifiable, immeasurable anecdotes, none of which qualify as science.

Tell me, Sab, which of your five senses have never been deceived? Mine trick me all the time.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I tried to follow this thread. I just saw it during lunch. What is this all about? is N. Drew lonely again?

• N.drew
    N.drew
    And how does one distinguish real revelation from a mental episode?

Imagine in the future being next to an android or a sophisticated hologram. You would hope that you have the skill to distinguish human from mechanical. Many people (let's hope so) would be able to know the difference. It's the same when one is sowing with a view to the spirit. We know.

What method is used?

Many methods. First of all prayer. Meditation. Common sense. Intuition. Experience of course. Maybe many more.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Tell me, Sab, which of your five senses have never been deceived? Mine trick me all the time.

Human fault is always a factor, but it's weak reasoning to explain the unexplainable. Many revelations which have sprung forth systems of spirituality and religion were witnessed by many people so at that point you have to call shenanigans, which is another weak line of reasoning when nothing seems to fit. If they saw a fairy, they saw a fairy, you know? Skepticism turns to cynicism all too often with non believers, imo.

-Sab

• N.drew
    N.drew
    is N. Drew lonely again?

I want to kiss you. NOT!

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing
    Many methods. First of all prayer. Meditation. Common sense. Intuition. Experience of course. Maybe many more.

And all of these are subjective. Yay!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

yep sounds like another episode of, "It's all about me" Starring, u guessed it, our number one attention grabber: N. DREW!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit