If you don't know what's wrong it can't be fixed

by N.drew 220 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Supernatural by DEFAULT? Need I remind you that every mystery ever solved has turned out to be NOT supernatural? You would think with the evidence at hand, that the more logical default would be natural but unexplained. Are you saying that GRAVITY is supernatural? I can no longer operate on this plane. It gives me a headache.

It's supernatural because it has no known natural explanation. Do you think humans will explain everything given enough time? If so, that's faith in science which has a religious or spiritual undertone. I do feel gravity does fall under the same category for the same reasons. EVERYTHING IS A THEORY

-Sab

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Uhm, no. It does not make it supernatural. It makes it unexplained.

1. Of or relating to existence outside the natural world. 2. Attributed to a power that seems to violate or go beyond natural forces. 3. Of or relating to a deity. 4. Of or relating to the immediate exercise of divine power; miraculous. 5. Of or relating to the miraculous. These unexplained things always happen in the natural world, and when they are explained always have a natural explanation. Therefore, NOT supernatural. I find it incredibly illogical to allow supernatural to be the default. And stunned that you think gravity is supernatural. NC

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

It's supernatural because it has no known natural explanation.

No again. It is NOT supernatural because it has no known natural explanation. It is simply unexplained because the natural explanation has not yet been found. Gravity is not magic. The sungod does not wake up every morning. All mysteries ever solved have had a natural explanation, therefore it is unreasonable to default to the supernatural when answers are not found. That is what people did before science. Now they methodically seek the answers. Had they all sat around saying what a mystery, it must be supernatural, then answers would not have been found.

Which means, it is time I subject you to this song again, because I find myself constantly semi quoting from it anyway. keep this up and I shall name you STORM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0W7Jbc_Vhw

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    Sab: Since no one can explain the lights and are not progressing towards an explaination it will remain supernatural until otherwise.

C'mon, dude. Even if no plausible explanations were available, a label of UNEXPLAINED is still more appropriate than SUPERNATURAL.

Why would we push for an explanation that's out of this world when there are so many plausible explanations that are IN this world?

Here's an example of such a situation unravelling on JWN:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/200510/1/Amazing-footage-Sign-of-the-end

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

By the same standards it is not unbelievable just because it's unexplained surely?

Loz x

• sabastious
    sabastious
    These unexplained things always happen in the natural world, and when they are explained always have a natural explanation. Therefore, NOT supernatural. I find it incredibly illogical to allow supernatural to be the default. And stunned that you think gravity is supernatural.

Let me rephrase on gravity. I think the SOURCE of gravity is supernatural which would make all five of your bullet points.

The Phoenix Lights are supernatural because we have VIDEO of it and can test it (unlike the fairy story) and still cannot find a suitable explanation. This is an important fact: given all of the science of today we STILL cannot even begin to explain all the factors of the ship above Phoenix. It's not a stetch to call it supernatural.

Here is a question, NC, what does meet your criteria of supernatural that exists?

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    NC: It is simply unexplained because the natural explanation has not yet been found.

SBC: C'mon, dude. Even if no plausible explanations were available, a label of UNEXPLAINED is still more appropriate than SUPERNATURAL.

There is nothing in the known world that can be the size of a football field, fly above Phoenix effortlessly and make absolutely no sound in the process. Can you give me some explanations? Or are you going to continue to poo poo it?

-Sab

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Again defaulting to the supernatural. Okay, let me turn the question on you. Name one mystery ever solved that turned out to be the supernatural! Then at least you'd have some premise to base this bizarre and unreasonable default button of yours.

• sabastious
    sabastious

SBC, using the Phoenix Lights as proof of a specific creed or doctrine is very silly. However, it does work as a good "Exhibit A" in an argument for Genesis 1:1. Like I said if there is something that is greater than my species then that greater entity could have caused our species to exist since it's power gives mastery over us.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Again defaulting to the supernatural. Okay, let me turn the question on you. Name one mystery ever solved that turned out to be the supernatural! Then at least you'd have some premise to base this bizarre and unreasonable default button of yours.

It doesn't sound like you even believe in the supernatural, yet you have 5 bullet points on how to point it out. This seems a blatant contradiction to me. If the supernatural doesn't exist then there is no definition of it that can be used to find it.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit