Dan Savage talks about the bible and Christian students flee

by Terry 319 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• xchange
    xchange

I'm of the strong opinion that even if Savage would have couched his language, those students would have left just the same and various Christian organizations would still villify Savage.

Silly Christians. They just don't like it when a gay, non-Christian understands the Bible more than they do.

Also, Savage did no bullying of any sort. Really, if you think he did, I'm glad you're not a spokesperson for any anti-bullying organization.

As for the language he used, it's a safe bet to say that everyone there were more shocked that it wasn't worse. I mean....way worse!!

And if you get offended at his verbalizing 'BS', then obviously, journalism isn't for you and those who left did the right thing.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    Savage visited the campus here recently and it was a big deal. Now seeing BTS's reaction on this thread... is very revealing.

This is the guy that went to the Iowa caucuses in 2000 with a severe case of the flu and licked doorknobs, pens, utensils, etc in order to get people sick. He is a sociopath.

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=3092

In my Sudafed-induced delirium, I decide that if it's terrorism Bauer wants, it's terrorism Bauer is going to get. Naked, feverish, and higher than a kite on codeine aspirin, I call the Bauer campaign and volunteer. My plan? Get close enough to Bauer to give him the flu, which, if I am successful, will lay him flat just before the New Hampshire primary. I'll go to Bauer's campaign office and cough on everything. Phones and pens. Staplers and staffers. I even hatch a plan to infect the candidate himself; I'll keep a pen in my mouth until Bauer drops by his offices to rally the troops. And when he does, I'll approach him and ask for his autograph, handing him the pen from my flu-virus-incubating mouth....

I go around the room licking doorknobs. They are filthy, no doubt, but there isn't time to find a rag to spit on. If for some reason I don't manage to get a pen from my mouth to Gary's hands at the conference, I want to seed his office with germs, get as many of his people sick as I can, and hopefully one of them will infect the candidate. I lick office doorknobs, bathroom doorknobs. When that's done, I start on the staplers, phones, and computer keyboards. Then I stand in the kitchen and lick the rims of all the clean coffee cups drying in the rack. I grab my coat and head out....

Waiting for Gary, I take my pen out of my pocket and put it in my mouth. This is it, my one shot at the candidate. I chew the pen, cracking the plastic shaft....

He takes the picture, and I pull the pen out of my mouth and hand it to him. Score! My bodily fluids -- flu bugs and all -- are all over his hand! When he tries to sign, no ink comes out. Gary looks up at the cameras and says, "Looks like everything is frozen." He grabs a poster and scribbles on it to get the ink flowing, then signs the picture. He hands me my pen, and starts to walk toward his van. He stops to answer a reporter's question, and I see him run a finger under his nose. Perfect.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    He called out the hate in the bible, and that pissed them off.

Not to mention I'm sure it makes them feel uncomfortable to be faced with a simple illustration of their own hypocrisy. They cling to the Homosexual issue, while throwing out all those other inconvenient "laws". Savage was spot on.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I'm of the strong opinion that even if Savage would have couched his language, those students would have left just the same and various Christian organizations would still villify Savage.

ABSOLUTELY and that's my point too. They are hiding behind the 'bullshit' remark so they can act outraged. But did you see that most got up to leave before that remark ever came out? The gay nonchristian mentioned the bible and THAT WAS IT!! STOMP STOMP. THEY didn't have to listen to that! It had nothing to do with bullshit. It had to do with them trying to find something, ANYTHING, to validate dismissing the message and carrying on in their hateful ways.

NC

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Berengaria, you ignored the question I posed you. Care to answer it?

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    ABSOLUTELY and that's my point too. They are hiding behind the 'bullshit' remark so they can act outraged.

Dan Savage is a sociopath. He should be committed, not hanging out at the White House and getting help from the President. His recent comments to Christian students pale in comparison to what he has said and done in the past. If I were gay, I would not want this freak speaking for me.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    This is the guy that went to the Iowa caucuses in 2000 with a severe case of the flu and licked doorknobs, pens, utensils, etc in order to get people sick. He is a sociopath.

You forgot to post the punchline in that piece Burn. On purpose?

But I don't do it -- I can't. My work ethic won't allow it. The folks on the phone are so pleasant, and Andy is so nice to me, that I don't have it in my heart to fuck with them.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing
    Sorry, I still see that BTS is offended by the message and uses the messenger as an excuse to condemn both.

BTS, perfect time to answer your accusers. Do you agree with the message, mainly to stop the anti-gay sentiment? This is apparently what they are looking for.

When the presentation is polished, the message usually gets ignored. There are plenty of "voices of reason" out there that get ignored in favor of more extreme voices.

There are other ways to do it. Sarcasm, humor, hyperbole, etc. Cursing just seems so juvenile, you know? That's the whole point of it. Dawkins and Hitchens didn't curse when debating, as far as I'm aware, and they certainly used scathing words to describe Christianity. See what I'm getting at?

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    You forgot to post the punchline in that piece Burn. On purpose?

That part of his piece has nothing to do with his spreading the flu to other people. It has to do with sending people to the wrong caucus locations.

The list I've been given is of voters who've indicated that Gary is their second choice. Of the 50 or so people I manage to get on the phone, most are voting for Forbes, a few for Keyes, and only one for Bush. Despite ample opportunity, I'm not engaging in dirty tricks. I'm doing as told, reading from my script. Andy gives me a list of Republican and Democratic caucus sites, so I can tell people where to go on Monday night. It's tempting to send the Bauer supporters to Democratic caucuses in their neighborhoods, delivering them to the living rooms of Bradley and Gore supporters. I could cost Bauer a few hundred votes -- and every vote counts, as Andy tells me.

But I don't do it -- I can't. My work ethic won't allow it. The folks on the phone are so pleasant, and Andy is so nice to me, that I don't have it in my heart to fuck with them. I tell everyone the truth about their caucus locations. Well, almost everyone.

Now will you answer my question I posed previously?

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I can't really disagree with anything that Dan Savage said. Except the part about calling those high-schoolers pansy-ass. That's the only thing I didn't care for. Some people called what he said bullying. I don't really get that there. From what I can tell he was using logic to say "If we ignore the Bible on some stuff, why not on this too?" Sure, he didn't say it in the nicest tone but I hardly call that bullying.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit