What's your Myers-Briggs?

by Londo111 111 Replies latest jw friends

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

I'm an INTJ

• scotoma
    scotoma

Myers-Briggs is based on dichotomous (split/either-or) dimensions. But nature loves the average as is borne out by the bell curve.

MBTI insists you are either Introverted or extroverted, Sensation or Intuition, Feeling or thinking, Perceptive or Judging. The reality is that most people fall very close to the middle in at least one of those dimension. Some are in the middle in three. This means that it is very easy to flip over to another temperament description. When there is a tug-o-war going on between E/I, T/F, S/N, J/P the environment plays a very significant role in which dominates.

Psychotherapy, is based on the idea that everyone makes poor adaptations. People surrender their natural selves to external pressures. They take on a personality that is quite different from their normal constitution. That's what therapy is supposed to do - help you recover your true self. But there is no direct way to do that. It takes a lot of talk, frustration, and sorting out.

The trouble with the written tests like DISC, MBTI, Enneagram etc. is you have no ground zero. The adapted self takes the test and is often quite different from one's natural self. But at least half the people who take these tests are fairly well adapted and there is a strong congruency between their natural self and test results. This is sufficient to create enthusiasm for these tests. But for the other half it just creates confusion.

It's like astrology. The twelve signs are generally accurate clusters of traits that go together. However, there is no connection whatever between birth date and a person's sign description. But, at least a fourth of the people have a lucky hit and become believers and swear by it.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Back in the days when my company was struggling to move from private ownership into a publicly traded corporation - we had a short-lived president over a decade ago who devoted days upon days to this sort of analysis.

Everybody had to take these tests and then sit around and talk about it. One favorite book in the program was "Who stole my cheese?" We had educational films on how the "cheese" was there for everybody and not to be selfish, etc.

It may not have been just the new-age philosophy, but this guy was fired after 18 months and having nearly ruined the company. We slowly recovered and were acquired by IBM about 2 years ago.

Many of us cynical computer engineers deliberately altered our test results into quite opposite profiles from reality just out of boredom.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Myer Briggs is pretty accurate for anyone I've known who takes it.

Psychotherapy, is based on the idea that everyone makes poor adaptations. People surrender their natural selves to external pressures. They take on a

personality that is quite different from their normal constitution.

Maybe that is why I can be so irritable.

• Think About It
    Think About It
    I can't believe all the I's. No wonder you poor guys hated preaching.

INTJ

I test as a really high introvert, but am actually outgoing and Manager over many people in my job. However, my preference is to be alone when possible.

I actually enjoyed FS for some strange reason.

Think About It

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

I took the test while a witness and scored ENFP.

Since leaving I have taken the test many times and have always scored INFP.

Much the same as others have posted, I am quite fine in a large group and can be outgoing. But for me, recharging requires quiet and peace. I think that introverts of the world somehow got cast as weak or shy.

I'm a proud and vocal introvert.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

It's really where you get the most energy, whether you are introverted or extroverted. It's different definitions than the usual ones.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

" I think that introverts of the world somehow got cast as weak or shy."

When I was a child my mother would berate me for not having a personality (meaning I was too shy). I have a personality but I learned at a young age to be very cautious (actually fearful) how much "personality" I showed around my mother. My parents presented me as one way (shy, weak, and perhaps at bit feeble minded) to potential friends. But when they would get to know me they would say that I am nothing like what my parents said I was, that apparently my parents really didn't know me.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Field service wounded me often. It forced me to knock on the door of some nasty people, who said some pretty cruel and thoughtless things. Sometimes what they said stuck in my heart like an arrow for days, weeks, months. The advice always was, "Don't take it personally." But how could I not? I am a person with feelings.

Especially in the old money neighborhoods, people could be quite vicious. I remember I was paired with a little boy, he was only 3 or 4. Bless him, he insisted that it was his turn and me being the pushover I am, let him speak. So the woman came to the door and the boy tried to offer her a track. She got down on her knees, looked at him straight in the eye and said sternly, "You are being lied to!" When the boy shook his head and said, "No…" Her face got very steely and she slammed the door. Well, the boy just balled and balled and I did my best to console him at the end of the driveway. After he calmed down, he wanted to go talk to her again. He had such an innocent heart.

I really don't care what religion or non-religion a person is, or how much you may dislike a group, you just don't do that to a child…or an adult for that matter. That is definitely not the way to win hearts and minds.

I hated Saturday mornings and as the day approached, the feeling of dread and depression would build and build. Friday nights, I really couldn't do much, because I couldn't enjoy it. I had to prepare my heart for the next morning. The best part of the week was after service, because it was the longest part of the week before I had to knock on another door. I often wished there was an 'alternative service' that I could do in support of the ministry, something that didn't involve me having to convince people a long list of beliefs. I wanted to leave that to people more gifted in it than I. No matter how many years passed, I was no getting better at it, nor was my anxiety decreasing.

Therefore I was a low hour publisher. Regular…but from what I surmised, bloodguilty and doomed to destruction at Armageddon. And of course, because I was below average, my 'privileges' were taken away, like mike carrying. That made me feel like I was a terrible person. How could I ever have any self-esteem in such an environment? The thing about 'underserved kindness', is that it's 'underserved' and can be taken away at any time and for any reason. Being only deserving of death, a person is only one failing away from the coming Wrath, and should be happy with any morsel of underserved kindness granted. Mercy might be something granted once, but don't expect it again. Pioneer or die.

I love people. However, it is the difference between drinking a cool glass of water and jumping in a raging river. Anything above four people and things start to get uncomfortable to me. Meetings could be difficult and I tried to sit somewhere that drew the least attention. Of course, back rows are always cordoned off and the encouragement is to sit near the front. After the meeting, the noise level of conversations bothered me…I felt like I was in the middle of a bee's nest.

It's the reason that I never went back to a meeting after getting disfellowshipped. After they made the final decision, I made it to the next meeting, a week before the announcement, and I started to have a panic attack. I couldn't imagine what things would be like after the announcement, entering in before everyone's speculating and judgmental eyes twice a week.

Of course, the elders, nor the organization, cared. I was fodder. They make no allowance for social anxiety. Their answer was basically to pop pills, take meds. And my answer was, NO--I don't want the side effects! Being introverted or shy is not a sin. Something is very wrong if someone has to medicate themselves in order to be approved by God.

Reading In Search Of Christian Freedom was so enlightening. Things like door-to-door or meeting in a large crowd in an expensive building made for that purpose is not the model of first-century Christianity.

• botchtowersociety

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit