What's your Myers-Briggs?

by Londo111 111 Replies latest jw friends

• Flicka
    Flicka

INFJ married to INTJ

Flicka

• scary21
    scary21

Got out my copy of The Portable Jung last night. Some interesting stuff.

• Violia
    Violia

ISFJ now

earlier was a

ESFP

I think idealism is a very common factor in folks who get involved with high control org.

• Londo111
    Londo111

ESFPs are usually the life of the party...

Alas, in all our cases we had parents that were in...so we didn't get involved on our own free will. I was never forced to get baptized, but information control gave me no other option...

• Norcal_Sun
    Norcal_Sun

Being an INFP in the organization was tough. Being introverted, field service was torture. Neither did I like judging people, either in the organization or without, and it bothered my how much I saw. Sometimes I felt the Society had a war on imagination, not only in restricting entertainment, but having such a rigid regiment that had to be adhered to. And any feelings a person had were shoved aside as unimportant. 'Principle' came first, but usually the principle was whatever legalistic interpretations that Society had cooked up.

Same experience with me too. And I am an INFP with a capital "P" for Procrastination. The WT is created for the "J"s, meaning the folks who enjoy completing tasks and are driven to acheive. I was soooo not interested in the treadmill of it all, and subsequently Always felt like a big slacker. I had many worries that because I didn't like to study or go out in service that if armageddon came I was toast. Also being an INFP who is also called the peacemaker, I learned to keep opinions and feelings to myself. Very unhealthy and I am dealing with the backlash of this now. I know a couple of other witness INFPs and they have become very strange from their years of dealing with this lifestyle.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

I am an ISTJ.

About a decade ago I developed my own personality profiling system, based on left and right-brain dominance, learning styles, and other factors.

Later, I learned of the Myers-Briggs system and correlated my system with it. For a summary, see here.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

INFJ

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

I have always been an ISTP.

ISTP (introverted, sensing, thinking, perceiving) is one of the 16 personality types identified by the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI). People with ISTP personalities enjoy having time to think alone and are fiercely independent. ISTPs also love action, new experiences, hands-on activities and the freedom to work at their own pace.

ISTP Characteristics

The Myer-Briggs Personality Indicator identifies your personality preferences in four main areas:1) Extraversion vs Introversion, 2) Sensing vs Intuition, 3) Thinking vs Feeling and 4) Judging vs Perceiving. For each of these dimensions, the MBTI identifies you as tending toward one end or the other of each dimension. As you can see, the ISTP personality tends to be Introverted, Sensing, Thinking and Perceiving.

• Introversion (I): How you direct your energy and relate to the world around you. ISTPs tend to be quiet and reserved.

• Sensing (S): How you take in information from the environment. ISTPs prefer concrete information rather than abstract or theoretical concepts.

• Thinking (T: How you make decisions. ISTPs make decisions based upon logic rather than subjective emotions.

• Perceiving (P): How you orient yourself to the outside world. ISTPs prefer not to plan things out in advance and like to keep their options open.

Some of the identifying characteristics of the ISTP personality include:

• Highly logical
    • Enjoys learning by experience
    • Action oriented
    • Very realistic and practical
    • Likes excitement and new experiences
    • Self-confident and easy-going

People with an ISTP personality are results-oriented. When there is a problem, they want to quickly understand the underlying cause and implement some type of solution. ISTPs are often described as quiet, but with an easy-going attitude towards others.

ISTPs enjoy new experiences and may often engage in thrill-seeking or even risk-taking behaviors. They often engage in risky or fast-paced hobbies such as motorcycling, hang gliding, bungee jumping, surfing or ice hockey. In some cases, they may seek out adventure by choosing careers in areas such as racing, flying or firefighting.

ISTPs tend to be very logical and enjoy learning and understanding how things operate. They might take apart a mechanical device just to see how it works. While they are good at understanding abstract and theoretical information, they are not particularly interested in such things unless they can see some type of practical application.

Because they are so logical, ISTPs are good at looking at situations in an objective way and avoiding subjective or emotional factors when making decisions. People with this personality type can be difficult to get to know, often because they are focused so much on action and results rather than on emotions.

ISTPs prefer to focus on the present and take on things one day at a time. They often avoid making long-term commitments and would rather focus on the "here and now" rather than think about future plans and possibilities.

Famous People With ISTP Personalities

A number of famous individuals have been described as having an ISTP personality based on analysis of their lives, works and behaviors. Some of the possible famous ISTPs include:

• Tom Cruise, actor
    • Keith Richards, musician
    • James Dean, actor
    • Clint Eastwood, actor
    • Zachary Taylor, U.S. President
    • Chuck Yeager, U.S. Air Force officer
    • Alan Shepherd, astronaut
    • Amelia Earhart, aviator
    • Frida Kahlo, artist
    • Tiger Woods, golfer

A few fictional characters that fit in with the description of the ISTP personality type include:

• Hans Solo, Star Wars
    • Butch Coolidge, Pulp Fiction
    • Blondie, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    • Wolverine, X-Men
    • Jason Bourne, The Bourne Identity
    • Maggie Fitzgerald, Million Dollar Baby
    Best Career Choices for ISTPs

Because ISTPs are introverted, they often do well in jobs that require working alone. ISTPs tend to dislike too much structure and do well in careers where they have a lot of freedom and autonomy. Because they are very logical, they often enjoy work that involves reasoning and hands-on experience. In particular, ISTPs like doing things that have practical, real-world applications.

Some jobs that ISTPs are well-suited for include:

• Forensic science
    • Engineering
    • Mechanics
    • Computer programming
    • Carpentry
    • Law enforcement
    • Software engineer
    • Video game designer
    • Electrician
    • Scientist
    • Pilot