What's your Myers-Briggs?

by Londo111 111 Replies latest jw friends

• Londo111
    Londo111

Lisa,

Speaking an an INFP, I was born in, so I didn't join. I know nothing else. It was sheer torture sometimes.

I agree, the idealistism does enable one to say, "This isn't right!"

• talesin
    talesin

Okay, it's Jung, not Freud,,,,,,,,,,,, but psychology has progressed for DECADES since that......... it's outdated, and really,,,

take your OWN test .............. do you have the traits of all the ITJI or BTSD or whatever it says?

total hogwash, imho.

tal

• talesin
    talesin

How MUCH do we feel the need to label people? Really.

Only FOUR categories? It's like this BS about 'Borderline Personality' ........... really? What does that MEAN? It's a junk label to put on people who have 'issues', and don't wish to deal with them.

The M-B test is along the same lines .... let's put everyone into a nice little category so that they can explain away all their difficulties, instead of dealing wth their real issues.

okay, I'm done.

t

• Londo111
    Londo111

It may not be the Only True Personality test, but I like it. It's fun!

• cantleave
    cantleave

ESFP

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

INTP here. I also find personality tests fun, and the results of this one, at least in my case, are fairly accurate.

Eden

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

The purpose of the Meyers Briggs is not to label you but to help you understand yourself and why you do the things you do. there are are actually sixteen personality types, but they are the first to say that each person is unique, there is a range of individual variations. For example on the introversion/extroversion scale, I am introverted, but kind of in the middle. I have found it to be quite accurate in my case, and it has helped be to understand myself and others. It is not in any way intended to define you.

For example, in a business situation, I found that email communication is more effective for me and I prefer it. This is common with introverts, who like to think things through. But Extroverts prefer face to face, so, if it is important, I will go talk to an extrovert, as I know they prefer that. But I would first think it through, maybe even write it out, so I will feel like I am not being steamrolled by the extroverted person.

We had someone in our group who was ISTJ, and in every measurement was all the way to that side. Her communication style was sort of like a steamroller, and she was incapable of thinking outside of a very, very small box. Everyone in the group was frustrated by her. The Meyers Briggs helped her to see how she could be a little softer in her approach, and it helped the rest of us to understand why she was the way she was. She even did her own research to help her in her personal life.

As far as the Borderline, my daughter was given that diagnosis as a teen, and it was very helpful for for me to understand what was going on with her. It may be she was not that, and she herself does not believe she was, but at the time there seemed no other explanation for her rages, self mutilating and suicidal behavior, and the diagnosis helped me me and her therapist know how to deal with that. She is fine now, so having been labeled that has certainly not hurt her in any way.

• Twitch
    Twitch

INTJ, which is fairly accurate

• Londo111
    Londo111

I prefer email as well. I avoid talking on the phone like the plauge.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Personality tests are generally correct and effective when used properly.

Last Friday night I attended a dinner held subsequent to a regional bioethics conference. I sat next to the doctor who organized the conference, and those at our table discussed personality tests.

His hospital team was experiencing significant communication problems until they employed personality tests. From the knowledge gleaned, he was able to make slight changes in job duties, and each person was able to use the information when deciding how to approach another teammate. He said things are much, much better now.

I am an INTJ, in a female body no less. This means that some types are going to love me, and some will hate me, but rarely will someone have neutral feelings towards me.

Surgeons usually love me, but social workers…not so much. ; )

If I care about the person or the relationship (work/friends), and they are the type who normally conflict with INTJs, I use the Meyers Briggs information to adjust my approach. If I don’t care about them, I do nothing to adjust my approach and do not care if they are offended. …can’t please everybody.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit