I feel ethically compromised by Rick Fearon being allowed to continue posting here

by sabastious 80 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Damn Sab, Simon already said his piece about the matter. This is his site and his call. Let it freaking go!

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Damn Sab, Simon already said his piece about the matter. This is his site and his call. Let it freaking go!

ok.

-Sab

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I can't see why people get so worked up by Rick and his site. His approach is over the top and not for everyone, but he seems to have helped a great number of people leave the religion. Many of the comments that I see on JWN from Rick are very kind.

I do not have a problem with Rick requesting money as well. The only way for people like Rick and Randy from freeminds.org to devote their lives to educating people about the Watchtower is to be raising money for the work that they do. It is difficult to have a full time job and devote hours to Watchtower based campaigns. Raising money provides the ability to pay for banners, newspaper ads, press releases etc.

I remember the days before the internet, when there were a group of "apostates" that would picket outside the conventions. Once an apostate saw me at a doorstep witnessing, stopped their car and walked up to me, much to the utter confusion of the householder who asked us both to leave. Another time I was approached and had a lengthy conversation when street witnessing at Salamanca markets in Hobart as a 15 year old. Although it reinforced the concept of persecution and nutty apostates, it did more good than had I never known that there were former members that did not agree with Watchtower teachings. That knowledge stuck in the back of my mind and curiosity and was a catalyst for my leaving many years later.

• mouthy
    mouthy

You said you remember the days the Apostates would picket outside the conventions jwfacts
    Thank you for that..... I was one of them.... You dont know how happy I read that. ( I always read what YOU post)
    For many years I ( with many others) did do that ,& Brooklyn Bethel, & Acton Bethel... Much pain for me with RA!

Thank you again jwfacts

• Fernando
    Fernando

Had a quick look at six screens once and it wasn't my flavour, just ignored it since.

Should JWN disfellowship Rick? I don't think so.

Should Rick abide by forum posting guidelines? Obviously.

Should we ostracise and vilify Rick? Hell NO!

What about some compassion and generosity of spirit?

Who of us can claim to have left the WBT$ mentally unscathed? Surely we all exit unbalanced to one degree or another. Why can't we give Rick a smile and a hug along with some kind (even humorous) rebukes when needed? Any of us would be shocked at what we learn about ourselves in brutally honest CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy) sessions with a good Psychologist! After decades of intentionally damaging "cognitive dissonance" what do we think a Psychiatrist would find in us even if only in small quantities: Schizophrenia, Bipolar, OCD, PD, and PTSD just for starters?!

Why can't we understand and accept his odd-ball angle. Agree to disagree. It seems he has chosen to respond to dishonest Watchtower propaganda in kind with the belief that this might bring them down. That's his game. Now that we know this, why not just let him play it (Johnny) until he sees or finds another way to deal with his own demons? The Watchtower plays (mind and word) games and consequently leads some ethically challenged dissenters to employ the same strategy against the Watchtower.

And how many of us struggle to find a new career or just plain income when exiting this abusive cult after several decades? Somehow I don't think Rick would reject suitable offers of employment or support (and possibly even therapy).

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Mouthy

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I'll be a different voice, some folks do come on here to promote things. There's been folks who came on here to promote a new book they wrote or a documentary they're working on. I've come on here to post links to my newest video and I've even given dates to my wrestling shows. I wouldn't ban him from promoting his show, people think they're helping in different ways. He seems to think it helps to sensationalize the WT and make people think it's corrupt to the core. Others like to make a joke about the whole thing and sometimes post links to them in spandex. Just sayin'

• kimbo
    kimbo

Rick helped me alot

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

JWFacts and Fernando,

Your eloquence and empathy towards others is very refreshing! Thank you!!! The last time I tried to say basically the same thing about Rick, I was called an A**kisser, so I hope that you fare better with your kind words than I did-lol. It boggles my mind though that there are some bullies here who make it a point to condemn people such as Rick, being downright mean and making fun of him not just once, but several times in each and every thread he makes. If those people don't like what he has to say, maybe they should personally do something proactive to further the cause themselves instead of being armchair warriors and complaining about others who are trying to make a difference; straw-rafter, et al. Some of these same people say that Rick is making people run back to the Kingdom Hall, but what they don't understand is perhaps their own actions, bitterness and sarcasm are causing questioning people to run back to the Org. quicker than Six Screens may.

Some need to realize that there is constructive criticism, and there is plain old fashioned mean spiritedness. Instead of the sarcasm and bullying, perhaps others can nicely offer suggestions and critiques to Rick to help make his site better. The saying "You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar" holds much truth.

Do unto others...

Again, I am sure that many of us, myself included appreciate your fair and balanced words. It is people like you who make JWN a much nicer place to visit!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

First, no one is forcing anyone to visit his web site. Rick Fearon is a Christian and has his own Christian mission, which basically follows the Bible on his own instead of being directed by a large organization. The donations are to spread his mission. If you wish to ignore the donation buttons, you are free to do so. The calls are free--except for phone bill tolls. As is visiting his site.

Now, for those who are atheists or who believe in an evil God and that Satan is the one that tried to free man from tyranny, the Christian mission will not be appropriate for you. However, the site still has information on how the Washtowel fails to abide by its own Bible. They have proof that the Not Well Translated Bible was intentionally tampered with, and that the religion doesn't even adhere to their own tampered-with Bible. To me (and others that believe that a religion claiming to follow the Bible has the obligation to make good on that), that is enough. Those believing that the Bible is rubbish can still benefit from just knowing that the Washtowel doesn't even follow it, despite vehemently claiming to.

And, if you are pxxxed off at Fearon, just ignore his posts. You see Kool-Aid Man, you believe that everything he says is rubbish, you are free to simply skip past them without reading them. Unlike the Washtowel, there is no rule that you have to read and believe everything you see on this forum. If you wish to rebut his research, you are also free to find some alternate viewpoint and post that. No one insists that we have to believe and teach everything Fearon says, even if you can prove it wrong using his own Bible, until he himself changes it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit