Did I Have a Stroke?

by compound complex 127 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, once again, my dear friends, for continued support and love.

To think, FHN, that I have an unopened bag of flax seed in my cupboard.

I'm ripping into it tonight!

Love and best wishes to all of you!

CoCo de Retour

• ziddina
    ziddina

OOOOO, Flying High Now, Flax seed???

I LOVE flax seeds!! Especially in "Uncle Sam Cereal"! Over yogurt with fruit!! Yummy!!

• ziddina
    ziddina

Oh, Hey!! If you're going to eat lots of flax seeds, drink LOTS OF WATER with that, CoCo!!

• compound complex
  • Snoozy
    Snoozy

Flax is good! But remember that a TIA is just a warning sign so please find ways through Meds/diet and excercise to lower your blood pressure..learn all you can about controling it and make a health plan. If you smoke stop..limit/lay off any sweets as they raise tryglicerides which can raise blood pressure..

Your Doctor can do a complete blood workup to see just what all is affected by the high blood pressure and recommend ways to control it.

Take care..

Snoozy

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Medical treatment is centered on reducing as many risk factors as possible, such as quitting smoking, control of hypertension and diabetes, and reducing cholesterol. Patients may be prescribed antiplatelet medications (drugs that discourage plaque formation by preventing platelets from sticking together). Aspirin is by far the most commonly used antiplatelet drug. Other similar medications include clopidogrel (Plavix), ticopidine (Ticlid) and a combination of aspirin and dipyridamole (Aggrenox). Some patients may benefit from a combination of these drugs, depending on the presence of other medical conditions such as blocked arteries in the heart or legs.

If a patient is determined to have an abnormal heart (such as a weak heart muscle) or rhythm disturbances (such as atrial fibrillation), they may need to use a blood thinner such as coumadin. In other patients, abnormal openings in the heart may allow clots to abnormally pass through to the brain. In such patients heart surgery may be able to reduce the risk of future TIA or stroke.

If a patient is determined to have abnormal clotting of the blood (such as with some hereditary clotting disorders), they too may need coumadin or other blood thinners.

Prevention of Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA)
    One way to prevent TIAs is to adopt the same strategies that reduce the likelihood of stroke. By far, the most effective measure is to keep blood pressure controlled, since high blood pressure promotes atherosclerosis. Even borderline hypertension (130 to 139 mm Hg/85 to 89 mm Hg) increases risk of TIA and stroke.

Recommendations include trying to:

1. Eliminate smoking. Smokers are two times more likely to have a stroke than nonsmokers.

2. Drink alcohol only in moderation. Heavy alcohol use also increases stroke risk, perhaps by increasing the viscosity of blood and making it more prone to clotting.

3. Exercise and maintain a healthy low-fat diet. These measures will help maintain proper weight and place less strain on the circulatory system.

4. Control blood glucose. This improves general health and reduces diabetes-associated complications.

Questions To Ask Your Doctor About Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA)
    How serious is a TIA?

Is there significant atherosclerosis?

Is there a risk of a stroke?

Will you prescribe an antihypertensive drug?

Should aspirin be taken?

What changes in lifestyle are necessary?

Is surgery necessary?

I would also, if they haven't already, have an ultra sound of your carotid neck arteries..if they are clogged it can cause TIA or a full blown stroke..better be safe than sorry.

Take care,

Snoozy

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Snoozy, for the helpful advice.

I smoked 2 cigarettes in college, then I came into "The Truth."

I'm all better now - !

Your taking the time to present this information is much appreciated. I think my daily diet of olive oil and raw onions and garlic and cayenne pepper might help, but, then again, I still do have high blood pressure. I guess the four-figure ER fee has taught me that much.

All the best,

CoCo

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

you put the lime in the coconut and drink them both together

you put the lime in the coconut and then you feel better

• snowbird
    snowbird

Are you able to see this?

The "post a reply' box doesn't show on page 4.

Syl

• snowbird
    snowbird

Now, I see it!

???????

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit