Terra Incognita

Rulzgod

Y ou can use one of these.

• godrulz
    godrulz

I already know I am fat and ugly.

• Curtains
    Curtains

the fact is, terra incognito, the God of the era of the 10 commandments trained his people in the art of double standards. Worse it was alright to pillage, slaughter and abuse others including women and slaves. God cultivated a warrior society as he was a warrior himself.

Jesus was pretty much a revolutionary too. Christians like to santize his activities but he did say he'd come to divide and conquer. He preached about rulership and kingdom and gathered together a small army of supporters. Peter was armed (garden of gethsemane)and because they were very obviously outnumbered Jesus told him to put away his weapon.

BTW Chirst to me is a different from Jesus as Chirst encapsulates ideals that did not find fulfullment in Jesus.

godrulz - it is very obvious what you and your ilk are after - rulership, subjugation and pillage unless of course you indicate that you are aware of the what the God you worship is like and problemitize these aspects of him.

good thread santika. I wish more chrisitans would engage in thoughful argument instead of acting as if they have something we don't. And yes I agree, very often what they say is like propaganda as they tend to exclude all other opinions, and worse, twist what the bible is actually saying in order to appear mild and loving.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    godrulz: I already know I am fat and ugly.

Didn't your mother ever tell you it's whats on the inside that's ugly?

• tec
    tec

Jesus was pretty much a revolutionary too.

Against hypocrisy, lies, cruelty, lack of mercy... yes, I agree :)

Christians like to santize his activities but he did say he'd come to divide and conquer.

The sheep from the goats, yes. Those filled with light from those filled with darkness. Those who are seeking God and truth from those who are seeking glory for themselves, yes.

He preached about rulership and kingdom and gathered together a small army of supporters.

Yes. Not an army in the traditional - go and slaughter them - approach.

Peter was armed (garden of gethsemane)and because they were very obviously outnumbered Jesus told him to put away his weapon.

Jesus commanded Peter, "Put your sword away! Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?"

BTW Chirst to me is a different from Jesus as Chirst encapsulates ideals that did not find fulfullment in Jesus.

That would depend on what your expectations were, I suppose. I believe that the requirements of the Christ did find fulfillment in Him. Obviously ;)

Tammy

• designs
    designs

tec-

Revelation depicts the Army of Jesus as a Calvary and what they do to humans isn't very 'Christlike'.

• Curtains
    Curtains

tec

He preached about rulership and kingdom and gathered together a small army of supporters.

Yes. Not an army in the traditional - go and slaughter them - approach.

Matthew 10:34&35

Christians like to santize his activities but he did say he'd come to divide and conquer.

The sheep from the goats, yes. Those filled with light from those filled with darkness. Those who are seeking God and truth from those who are seeking glory for themselves, yes.

and the goats go into everlasting punishment/destruction. They are not given an opportunity to defend themselves/change. Jesus reveals absolutist coercion - be nice to me and my followers or die

please also see Jesus' attitude to and denunciation of chorazin and bethsaida

Peter was armed (garden of gethsemane)and because they were very obviously outnumbered Jesus told him to put away his weapon.

Jesus commanded Peter, "Put your sword away! Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?"

If Jesus was serious he ought to have said get rid of the sword or why did you bring one, instead of saying put it back in its sheath -

I think my reading has as much backing from the gospels as yours has - many christians have thought so. Also the kingdom Jesus spoke of can also be seen in a material earthly way rather than as being heavenly.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Jesus said that the Kingdom of God was already here ( in Him and in all those that believe din Him).

The earthly paradise of the "new earth" comes about with the "New Heaven" and that is at the very end.

Jesus words in regards to how one is to treat our enemies makes it clear his veiws on such matters and how Christians are to be with those that hate them and persecuate them.

While one can interpret passages in a mirad of ways, as have always been done, this one is pretty clear:

Love for Enemies

(Lk 6:27–28, 32–36)

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may be children of your Father in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the righteous and on the unrighteous. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you greet only your brothers and sisters, o what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear Curtains...

even so the "swords" (OT & NT) of the Lord are enough......ezekiel 21:9, 16...

And He said to them, “When I sent you without money bag, knapsack, and sandals, did you lack anything?” So they said, “Nothing.”

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one. For I say to you that this which is written must still be accomplished in Me: ‘And He was numbered with the transgressors.’ For the things concerning Me have an end.”

So they said, “Lord, look, here are two swords.” And He said to them, “It is enough.” ...luke 22:35-38...

Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts (armies)of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
    Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;...ephesians 6:10-17

love michelle

• tec
    tec
    Matthew 10:34&35

Yeah, I know what you are talking about. My answer is the same. Do you think that this sword is perhaps the same one that comes out of his mouth in Revelations?

Unless we're thinking he's biting the hilt of a sword and tossing his head around, it means something other than a physical, literal sword.

and the goats go into everlasting punishment/destruction. They are not given an opportunity to defend themselves/change. Jesus reveals absolutist coercion - be nice to me and my followers or die
    please also see Jesus' attitude to and denunciation of chorazin and bethsaida

What we do shows what is inside of us. The 'goats' acted on what was inside of them - darkness, lack of mercy, etc. I'm curious as to what an opportunity to change at this time would mean? (the point, I believe, of Lazarus and the Rich Man) Why didn't they care enough about their fellow man for the sake of being good, or for the sake of love for others? How many atheists accuse Christians of doing good just for the reward or out of fear of the punishment? THIS, what you are suggesting, would be people doing good just for what it gets them... not because it is IN them to do good and show love.

If Jesus was serious he ought to have said get rid of the sword or why did you bring one, instead of saying put it back in its sheath -

From Matthew:

"Put your sword back in its place," Jesus said to him, "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword."

I think my reading has as much backing from the gospels as yours has - many christians have thought so. Also the kingdom Jesus spoke of can also be seen in a material earthly way rather than as being heavenly.

Believe me, I know that the scriptures can be twisted to mean anything anyone wants them to me mean. As long as some like the one PSac posted are ignored, that is.

Peace to you,

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit