The Christian Onslaught

by satinka 205 Replies latest jw friends

• satinka
    satinka

One's physical appearance does not matter because all souls are beautiful.

One's self-perception however DOES matter, especially when projected onto someone else.

Self-perception, when coming from a place of love is authentic. ...Coming from ego is not, and others will sense a lack of love. The "sense" may be perceived as an "agenda" or "motive."

Back to the questions of the original post. What "agenda" or "motive" do religions (who do not have an ex-jw experience) have for visiting this "healing space"?

satinka

• jgnat
    jgnat

I apologize, satinka, in advance. I'll give my grouchy anwer. What agenda? To heal you "right" of course.

• godrulz
    godrulz

The motive is Jesus' motive who came that we might have life abundant and eternal. The gospel is the power of God for the salvation of all who believe, but a fragrance of death to those who reject it (it can save or condemn depending on response to it). It is also not a crime to have interest/curiosity in other religions/experiences, even if one is an atheist. The Great Commandment (love) and Commission (gospel) is for all people groups, Africans, rich, poor, cultists, world religions, lawyers, plumbers, etc. The passion of Jesus and Paul was to reach people with the transforming love and power of God. This is life and death. It would be unloving to keep the cure to cancer to oneself. It is unloving to keep the cure for death and hell to oneself. Read the NT and you will see the value of seeking the lost coin, sheep, prodigal son. There is no higher purpose/calling. Those who are not open can still provide fun and fellowship as we beat up and expose the common enemy of the WT that has negatively impacted lives (I don't have to have had an abortion to fight against it; I don't have to have been JW to stand with those who were against an evil empire).

• jgnat
    jgnat

You know your gospel very well, godrulz. Unfortunate you don't use the same time and energy in understanding your audience.

• tec
    tec
    God has revealed Himself and the gospel to us in Scripture.

God has revealed Himself to us in Christ.

Not trying to be pedantic, but every time you say the former, I have to say this.

Peace,

Tammy

• satinka
    satinka

jgnat wrote:

I apologize, satinka, in advance. I'll give my grouchy anwer. What agenda? To heal you "right" of course.

jgnat... You? Grouchy? I see you as a truly loving soul.

And I don't see you as a stranger.

Which brings me to...do religious strangers know what is "right" for me?

satinka

• jgnat
    jgnat

Even Jesus did not presume to know, even if he had divine insight.

When the wounded approached Jesus for healing, he engaged them. He asked what they wanted. He responded in kind.

When Jesus preached on his hilltop, people either stayed to listen or they left. They were not a captive audience.

When an individual is preached at, the speaker cannot expect the same divine results that Jesus enjoyed. I call this particular approach "hurling scriptures at each other". I find it singularly unproductive.

• godrulz
    godrulz

There are one-on-one encounters in Scripture with conversion by using Scripture in addition to large crowds. This contrasts with months of indoctrination in the WT before one is baptized/converted. The Holy Spirit can convert someone in a moment, but cults take extended periods of time to change thinking and behavior. Jesus and others who preach the gospel go after false gods, smash them, and replace it with the true God. Everyone's false gods differ, so one size does not fit all (except solution/Jesus).

• jgnat
    jgnat

You missed the part where Jesus always got permission?

• godrulz
    godrulz

I believe in permission evangelism. This is a forum for dialogue. It is not a face-to-face, relational encounter. I expect that many or most will not read posts that they do not want to. One can make a comment or share info without it being targeted to one person in a bullying, stalking way. Some preaching in Scripture is to a crowd without a consent form being signed. The preaching is directed at all in a persuasive manner. The reactions varied from sneering/jeering, procrastination/pondering, to repentance/faith/change. The same happens here when someone says something. There is a place for permission and pussyfooting and a place to share and let the chips fall. The issue is the various hearts/personalities, not the right or mandate to share truth always, whenever. My approach in real life is different. I do not pounce on co-workers nor run up to strangers and preach at them. This is a forum where I would expect people interested in religion to freely share their beliefs, experiences, etc. I cannot intelligently dialogue with you because you don't want to disclose your beliefs. If asked, I will fully disclose what I believe and why since I have nothing to hide. As well, if I am wrong, I expect to be challenged successfully for my good. Who wants to be wrong/deceived on eternal, spiritual matters?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit