Is this a forum for JW issues or a poorly designed political and celebrity site?

by Band on the Run 87 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I loved the analogy too.

• ballistic
    ballistic

You would be suprised the many subtle ways in which having once been or grown up as a JW can affect your life.

I get small reminders all the time. What are you doing for mother's day? happens every year and there are numerous other examples.

Thing is, you can come on here and say "I was tempted by the black pudding", and it means a completly different thing to you guys as to my (other) friends.

Personally I don't mind fluff threads, if you've got something to get off your chest, I say go for it. LOL ;)

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I don't post to win a popularity contest. The Witnesses were so dumbed down. This site is different. Some scholarship here, on a forum, astounds me with its breadth and precision. I admit to prefer being with my particular peer group. This site has served me well over all. My comments were not posted for your approval. The cardinal rule of abuse is "Don't tell." Keep everything secret. The Witnesses have this as their primary directive. I feel everyone has something valid to contribute.

What is considered a "hot" body annoys me. I have a right to be annoyed. I will not dumb down for this site. Besides, it is a hodge podge. Many posters here have far more education than I do and certainly have far, far more expertise on Witness history and Biblical knowledge. I've learned so much from them. Deacdes later, my life remains haunted by the Witnesses. To be certain, it is only a minute amount compared to when I first was disillusioned but problems persist. Friends and therapists who only know Jehovah's Witnesses jokes on TV can try to understand but they don''t actually know.

Witnesses love to run off those who are not politically correct. When I was younger, I was a rescuer. Give me a disaadvantaged group and I had to rescue. Comments do hurt but my life will not be defined by people pleasing. I had a perfect right to state my observations. My observatoins are mine and not yours. I have no First Amendment freedom here (I should make a macro about the text of the First A. for all the discussions where Americans have no clue). The owners of this forum determine my fate here. Anonymous people may differ with me but in the long run, who the h.ll cares? I no longer serve the dumbed down and the honest at the same time.

One could note that my father's up close and person view of Bethel's inner workings when the Bethel family was around 100 people might have some insight. My mother's wriy comments about the continual retransformatoin of Witness beliefs and cultures since Russell times might hold some interest. My legal skills give me a special perspective on First Amendment issues and due process issues. I could choose to be dumb and not note any of it. You don't like it, tough luck. I have a Wall St. firm and the U.S. Senate and Manhattan culture. I am conscious that I have let you define the parameters of this discussion. If I cared enough, I would erase and all this and establish my own parameters.

If I have intensity for Witnesss things, it is because of the burden on my very soul. I deserved better, much,much better as did we all. Go ahead and harass someone who agrees with 99% of what you believe. I am what I am. I am not what you would have me be.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

No one is asking you to dumb down. I appreciate a good intelligent thread too. I may not comment on those thread because on some level I feel that to do so would be out of my league but that doesn't mean that I or others on this board don't appreciate them. I get that you don't like the seemingly least intelligent fluff threads but do you have to try and make others feel like they are less than for enjoying them?

P.S. I don't hate you nor do I care if you're not the most popular person on the board.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Band on the run, this is the first thread of yours I've read but I would say you really should not take things so seriously, "Yep, life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while... you could miss it."

• snowbird
    snowbird

This is a forum for people issues.

That's why I like it so much.

Syl

• VIII
    VIII

BOTR, I doubt many here have as much education as you-unless they are a PhD.

That said, you do throw up the fact that you are an attorney, work in NYC, have a family with WTC ties, yada, yada, yada.

We get it. Good for you. You go girl.

BTW, lots of us do have degrees and even advanced degrees. We just prefer not to tell the world in an effort to keep our private life just that-private. We don't want our relatives to know who we are. At this point if any of your old JW friends and relatives are reading this public board they probably have figured out by now who you are. Not too many Ex-JWs with your credentials.

I post on all kinds of threads and read all kinds. I do it for my own reasons. Like everyone here and all the reasons above.

I'll have a martini, please. Vodka.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Yeah, kick back, girl, and enjoy the ride!

Even members of the bar can learn a thing or two from us peons.

Syl

• undercover
    undercover

One thing to remember about a site like this is that people are at different levels of leaving the cult and recovering from it. Early on one may focus to the point of obsession about all things sinister and wrong about the WTS. Over time though you get over the anger and bitterness. You accept it and grow from it.

A lot of people get what they need from the site and move on. Others kindle friendships or just like to keep up with WT stuff but aren't as focused about every little scandal that comes along. Newbies are just coming to terms to what they've been led to believe. Some have horrible things they need to share because many of us have been there and understand.

Personally, I like to keep up with WT stuff, since I have family still in. Keep your friends close, your enemies closer kinda thing. But since I've been here, I've come to "know" quite a few here and have enjoyed friendly banter and joking around...i.e. fluff. I'll post some serious stuff about the latest WT magazine or some new scandal, but then you'll see me post on a silly thread about a TV show or something.

I ignore a lot of threads...because I'm not interested in the subject.

You'll also notice tendancies on the board. There will be a spat of serious, deep discussions about WT policy or doctrine... and then it seems to dry up and most threads will be about American Idol or something equally boring. It comes and goes. Some days I pop on, see absolutely nothing worth commenting on and move on. Other days I'll see a dozen threads that I've gotta get in on.

• Violia
    Violia

I don't hate you either and your posts are really interesting but often have a real air of superiority. That irritates me personally, but I can still read what you write.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit