Is this a forum for JW issues or a poorly designed political and celebrity site?

by Band on the Run 87 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• james_woods
    james_woods
    If this were a disscussion board on "Underwater Basket Weaving" the same complexity would be there. When a poster shows up who has a true jw delima to resolve that person recives attention that is informjatve and many times helpfull.

Quite true, Quentin -

You should see politics and religion on my Ferrari site.

I have pretty much decided to stay away from the political threads for the reasons above.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Reading the premise of this topic left me with a sort snobby taste in my mouth. Made me feel like there are some on the board who have a habit of looking down their noses at others on the board. I could be wrong, but that's the feeling I got.

Yeah some folks here get chatty. Yeah some the topics are fluff. Yeah some of the political threads are boring as hell and disolve into a fight fest. Yeah some folks here like to twitter on about sexual topics (my personal fav). But ya know what? It's cuz we're dealing with humans here. Humans are going to do silly human stuff. Silliness is a great stress reliever. We really don't know what folks are dealing with in real life off this board. If I wanted a dry and boring message board I'd take my tooshie back to the hall.

But it's really up to YOU to decide what YOU want to deal with. You can't change anyone but yourself. Don't like the silly, so-called mindless fluff and political topics? Don't look at them. Reminds me of the joke of the guy who tells his doctor that something hurts when he touches it and the doc tells him to stop touching it.

Gotta quote for ya from a book I'm currently reading that I think kinda relates:

"Imagine we are all the same. Imagine we agree about politics, religion and morality. Imagine we like the same types of music, art, food and coffee. Imagine we all look alike. Sound boring? Differences need not divide us. Embrace diversity. Dignity is everyone's human right."

~Bill Brummel

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

@ Josie

• Terra Incognita
    Terra Incognita

Band on the Run:

"...there is less and less emphasis on Jehovah's Witnesses and anything remotely related to JWs and more very poor posts about politics, foreign affairs and celebrities."

Well excuuuuse me missy .

Okay, IMO there should be more emphasis on JW related topics but not necessarily less on political issues.

I also agree that many posts about politics are poor, even downright pathetic. I hope you don't think I'm one of them.

"I never thought I would post here so frequently. Something keeps me coming back. As more time passes, I am appalled by the increasing drivel. Most comments have no thought behind them. Others are very thoughtful and thought provoking. I don't know how anyone keeps up their standards. Increasingly, I can not rely on any information presented here."

Can't resist coming back? I guess this forum is like peanuts. Once you've had one you can't stop.

As for the drivel-as I just mentioned-it can be very pathetic. As for relying on information, I always go to primary sources; straight to the horses mouth. I myself don't trust what any site has to say and even if I were to trust the site, it is always more authentic to go to cite those primary sources. Others just cut and paste junk from conservative sites and think tanks like the Heartland Institute. They're the ones who said that cigarrette smoking had not been scientifically proven to cause lung cancer. They were partially funded by the tobacco industry.

You have to learn how to separate the pearls from the dung pile, which can be challenging but nonetheless necessary in life; not just Internet entertainment.

• Highlander
    Highlander

Reading the premise of this topic left me with a sort snobby taste in my mouth.

I agree. A significant number of Band on the Run's posting centers around her need to remind us that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw_34zauGPw

• Quentin
    Quentin

Also, can any of you piss over a ten foot fence? I can if I'm standing on a ladder....Sooner...12ft. ladder?...

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Funny thing, no one noticed that this topic is not jw related, are we to ignore it BOTR?

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Yep Q. With my luck though I'd fall over the damn fence and land in the pee.

• Quentin
  • moshe
    moshe

I respect the member who is a regular, long term poster, has ideas and is not afraid to speak their mind. Political threads do bring out a lot of the members who have opinions. I don't care for repetitious fluff- kiss me! Kiss my grits!,etc, -ie, cute slogans that are just mindless soundbites that only a parrot could love. An original idea is to be applauded and I have been here long enough to have seen quite a few and I don't care what the topic is, as long as it makes sense and plays by the rules of logic. This board is for JW-ex-JW topics first and foremost, but is also a way for minds to be tempered by the fires of debate and in the end all who participate with honesty can improve their thinking ability.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit