Is this a forum for JW issues or a poorly designed political and celebrity site?

by Band on the Run 87 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

It appears to me that even in the few months that I have been here there is less and less emphasis on Jehovah's Witnesses and anything remotely related to JWs and more very poor posts about politics, foreign affairs and celebrities. I can't omit the juvenile sex ones, which I find lacking in erotic nature. It seems the 6th grade boys are meeting in the locker room.

The posts that involve JWs have a very different tone from the drivel posted on others. I realize I do not own the site so I am looking elsewhere. It is a shame.

Another thing that drives me bonkers is people imposing their reading choices on someone casually interested in a topic. Copying and pasting does not take much thought. A summary of the article in a few sentences and providing a link makes it much more likely to be read.

I never thought I would post here so frequently. Something keeps me coming back. As more time passes, I am appalled by the increasing drivel. Most comments have no thought behind them. Others are very thoughtful and thought provoking. I don't know how anyone keeps up their standards. Increasingly, I can not rely on any information presented here.

• Simon
    Simon

It tends to go through phases I'm afraid.

I appreciate it when people post sensible topics, make informative comments and generally take part in a discussion as opposed to just copying and posting like you say.

• flipper
    flipper

Band on the Run. Check my thread out on the June 15th WT. It talks about latest WT drivel. Feel free to comment. Not ALL of us are posting mindless crap. Some of us are actually trying to make people think. Take care

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I think that since so many of us were deprived of speaking about so many topics we find this a good place to start. Consider a form of therapy for some

But like you I find that sometimes it gets too chatty for my taste. Just pick and choose what you want to read

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

It's an artifact of internet forums, I suspect. When you're brand new, or returning to a forum from a period of inactivity, from your perspective it's "look! here's all these threads with information I'm interested in! This is great!" From your perspective, there's lots of wheat and you don't notice the chaff so much.

Then, after you've been active on the forum for a while, you've read all the 'existing' topics that appeal to you. Then it seems like there's a lot more chaff 'lately' and not so much wheat.

At least, that's my theory ;)

It's why I tend to drop in and do a LOT of reading on any number of special interest/hobbyist forums in kind of a 'boom and bust' cycle...I read a forum pretty intensively for days/weeks/months...then go off to other things...and often return months or even years later to 'catch up.'

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I like copy and paste but also comments along with it..I like to know where something comes from if someone quotes also..I don't take anyones word for it..

Mindless crap is fine..it goes with the relaxed feeling on the board..sometimes serious discussions even come from a "Mindless crap" comment..

Takes all kinds to make up a board..Religious, political, human dealings, and everyday dealings..pick what interests you.

I can remember years ago when a lot of the discussion boards were simply personal bashes..much, much better now!

JMO Snoozy

• zeroday*
    zeroday*

This is a big forum...many people with many opinions and not just on the subject of JW's...

• saltyoldlady
    saltyoldlady

I rather like the eclectic nature of the site myself - I see it as a site designed for the sharing of any issue that is personally bugging us and one with which we want to share concerns or to seek answers. We are free to select the fare to which we are attracted - while I tend to be more on the serious side myself I enjoy the humor also and some of the outlandish fare that says so much inbetween the lines. I have learned a great deal - not just about JW issues but about religion in general and many other topics too - about the need for comfort and reassurance amongst one another that is so lacking in the impersonal world culture that has developed in this generation.

My daughter doesn't post here often - she prefers other sites. I am not exactly sure why - maybe she finds the arguments get too heated at times - but I haven't even tried another site - this one is all I can handle in any one day. And if the exchange seems to get too rough for me I can always find some more peaceful fare on another page. To me it very much resembles going door to door - we find all sorts of views and prejudices and biases, true - but at least we are getting to talk to real people and who knows - maybe once in a blue moon I might have something to say that will be just the right thing for the moment for that person. But it keeps my mental wheels turning and makes great interest for my day.

• Quentin
    Quentin

If this were a disscussion board on "Underwater Basket Weaving" the same complexity would be there. When a poster shows up who has a true jw delima to resolve that person recives attention that is informjatve and many times helpfull.

While wating around for that person to make a showing human nature kicks in and we get fluff threads, political threads, sex threads and just about every subject that can be disscused offered. Why? Because this is a discussion board, no matter how inane a subject may be folks are going to make a discussion out of it. Discussion boards are always in a state of flux. What you want will come back round in due time. Meanwhile, as we wait, we'll get those insipid dull topics about who can pee over a ten foot fence. The occasinal troll will drop by with their cut and past agenda. Just goes to show people will talk about anything, just to have SOMETHING to talk about.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

This forum is about whatever the hell we want it to be about. Quit crying.

Also, can any of you piss over a ten foot fence? I can if I'm standing on a ladder.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit