Is this a forum for JW issues or a poorly designed political and celebrity site?

by Band on the Run 87 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Farkel
    Farkel

I've started many threads that I consider to be pretty darn good about Bible and JW topics, sometimes spending days researching and polishing them, only to see them buried in one hour with threads about people discussing their favorite pizza toppings.

If you want to make a difference, quit whining and post something significant. You have an entitlement mentality: you want to suck off of other people's efforts but seem disinclined to make any yourself.

Piss off.

Farkel

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

'quit crying'? says sooner7c stick yer typing finger back up yer arse and keep trying for that 10 ft fence eh.

LMAO! In vino bardus

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    ...there is less and less emphasis on Jehovah's Witnesses and anything remotely related to JWs and more very poor posts about politics, foreign affairs and celebrities.

Uh-ahem. Seems to me that is the way it should be going for those trying to put a cult behind them. I believe such a shift - away from Jwism and it's influences, and toward life outside - shows signs of mental health improvement.

I spent 40 damned years learning/thinking/believing/trusting Jehovah's Witnesses. Once I took off the blinders I wanted to see the scenery. What better venue for that than among those who can understand my perspective?

The first months or early years out of the cult demands a steady feeding on information that will help one adjust to life outside. While I might not [or you might not] be drawn to the particular topics on the minds of others, and while we could critic the style/depth/choice of such topics, I see it as positive more than negative when there is more 'real' discussion than there is 'truth' discussion.

At one point, a year or so out of the cult, I felt as you do. Now, seven years out, I have no appetite for most topics related to Jehovah's Witnesses. Still, my visits to the forum are driven more by seeing how others I have come to know over the years are doing, what interests them, and their perspective on the world. Such is far better discerned with diverse threads and topics such as are typical here now.

In short, the forum has matured. I for one, see it as a good thing.

Jeff

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Tempered by the fires of debate! I love it!
    -Sab

One man sharpens the face of another -

• moshe
    moshe
    I consider to be pretty darn good about Bible and JW topics, sometimes spending days researching and polishing them, only to see them buried in one hour with threads about people discussing their favorite pizza toppings.

Farkel, you are so right.-and did you have to mention, Pizza? I have another day of the no-bread/pasta Passover diet to go.

Pizza, must not crave pizza---

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I often say I am a lawyer when discussing the First Amendment aspects of a JW discussion. Most people would deny them their rights b/c they hate them so much. I hate them so much that I am livid. If I just reported case law without stating my background, one would wonder why a garbage collector has such a stance.

The other times I mention I am a lawyer occur when I mention how nice my life is now sans Witnesses. Unlike my classmates and colleagues, law was off the table. College was unthinkable. Indeed, my father forced me to quit a candy striping position that mattered so much to me and he called my employer so I was dismissed. So, yes, I am proud and it still feels unreal that something nice can happen to me all these years later.

Finally, I am certain the overwhelming majority of my classmates are not picked apart b/c they are lawyers. This wound not happen at an Episcopal site. It would not happen at a private club. I practiced corporate law for the most part. CEOS are savvy users of lawyers. They are not intimidated. Legal fees are an accepted cost of doing business. From my own life experience, I realize this is not how lawyers are perceived by regular humans. It is not a cost of being human. The reason for seeing a lawyer is charged. These experiences don't make me an abulance chaser..

If someone is so insecure that they take umbrage, they should look at themselves. I commented on my opinion of this site. Personally, the posters who remarked how we tend to selectively see only the good stuff at first seem to have a lot of wisdom. I have a brain, yes, an affirmation, and I would like to use it. No one can fault my opinion because it is my opinion, not objective fact.

Those who cast stones at this post have gunned for me since day one. Tellingly, there were very astute comments regarding my post and some just low ones. I refuse to dumb down. There are many posters here who don't dumb down and I admire them greatly.

It is probably a good thing diversity is here. We all know just how much diversity is treasured by the Witnesses. As for me and my family, I prefer a different cup of tea. Wanting a different mix does not make me an ogre. If I knew someone with specialized knowledge such as a physican, architect, accountant, engineer, I'd value their expertise. Those insights you find so wanting fetch a strong market value, even in today's economy.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

It's easier to put on a pair of slippers than to try and carpet the whole world

I enjoy hearing what's on other people's minds....drivel or otherwise. If someting doesn't strike my intrest, I just leave it to others who are interested and I move on. It's sort of like television...instead of complaining about what you're seeing, you are free to change the channel or turn it off.

I'm glad there is a place like this where people who have had their own thoughts so heavily monitored, can come an express themselves. As a former JW, it's nice to hear people who share the same backgrond as I've had, talking about somethnig other than religion. For some of us it's a new experience and we are novices at voicing our own thoughts rather than those we read somewhere in a publication.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Reminds me of the joke of the guy who tells his doctor that something hurts when he touches it and the doc tells him to stop touching it

And

If someting doesn't strike my intrest, I just leave it to others who are interested and I move on. It's sort of like television...instead of complaining about what you're seeing, you are free to change the channel or turn it off.

I wonder if and when people will ever come to see the wisdom in these very simple ideas. It is so arrogant of people to nurture the mindset that if soemthing doesn't appeal to them, then it shouldn't appeal to anyone.

Personally, I find the deep, meaty, WT history, numerology, was-this-greek-scripture-properly-translated, what-was-Paul-really-trying -to-say-here threads to be mind-numbingly boring. So, I avoid them. Pretty simple.

I would much rather read about a good book or a great movie or even a juvenile sex thread. But that's just me. Different strokes, folks.

• nugget
    nugget

This is a forum that allows people to work through their issues and gain support. As there are many people there are also many stages of recovery and although for some, JW issues are important and pressing, for others they are no longer exJWs but people with wide ranging interests.

You may find some posts trite and unimportant but life is more than JWs and JW issues it is fun to think about other things occasionally. What is great is that important topics are covered here too people can pick and choose.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Ohhhh I love you people! What a terrific bunch of comments and observations.

I read this site for a very long time before I ever clicked on the Active Topics button.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit