Is this a forum for JW issues or a poorly designed political and celebrity site?

by Band on the Run 87 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I dare anyone to go through every thing I've posted here and analyze the content. I've explained my background when pertinent, such as the ever fresh First Amendment discussions or encouraging someone starting college at an advange age to muddle through because the end result is wonderful. Sometimes when discussing New Testament, I've mentioned that I studied with elaine Pagels, the pre-eminent Gnostic scholar - at least in the States. She may be internationally prominent, too).

I've contributed content that I am very proud I wrote. Do I call out those without much education and reprove them? No. As much as I believe in education, I believe in morals and character.

Nowhere in my life have I ever had this problem. I was laughed at for wanting college. Now I am scorned for trying to bring the skills I was FORTUNATE to learn to make a contribution here. I am a single person. Truth is not defined by what I say. I believe there has been a massive communication failure here. I am not worthless because I am a lawyer, NYer, whatever, oh, my Bethelite bodyguard father and my great grandfather from Russell's days. Someone comfortable in their own skin should like the input. I'm in a community where the other argument is highly sought after to provide a wider picture. My specialty has been the Establishment Clause. I spent months researching one aspect full time. I suppose I can't mention any of this because some people have no egos.

You do not know me. If you knew me, most of you would cry for me. Before I dumb down, I will take my marbles and leave. In the past, I would post a long apology and step n fetch it. Take it as my distance from the Witnesses that I absolutely refuse to do so. There is a NY Times forum, politico. There is a wondrous world out there. No, I will not apologize.

I curse the problems inherent with the Internet. This site had no contract. I owe no one here anything. Enjoy ignorance.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

My friend, you come off to me as a braggart. "Look what I've done. Look at the people I've helped."

That's all well and good and you deserve to be proud of it, but seriously, leave it alone. We've all got our problems and our successes and when we, or I at least, see someone constantly pushing their accomplishments/struggles to the fore as forcefully as you've done, then we, or again at least me, really stops giving a f*** and are ready to call shenanigans on what we see as shenanigans.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Chill out and stick around by the way.

• Violia
    Violia

You don't have to dumb it down and we are not as ignorant as you may think. Granted there is a vast array of educational levels on this board , but we all are trying to get free from the wts mentality. We are the ones who saw through the wts too. Join us, don't talk at us.

I thought the post you made on the funeral thread was amazing and really provided help.

• whereami
    whereami

I think it's time to mention that you're a "lawyer" again. People might start to forget you know.

Stop getting your panties up in a twist and just hang out. Don't like it, don't click it.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Are some of you shallow that you can not tolerate a divergent view?

Are you? You're the one who is whining because our discussions don't meet your lofty standards. There have been plenty of comments suggesting you ignore threads that don't interest you. One would think someone who possesses an education as high as the one you incessantly brag about could comprehend such a simple concept.

The worse thing someone could say of me was that I was a good German.

Is it necessary for you to insult those of us of German descent on the basis of nationality? Do you do the same with your legal clients? BTW, it should read "worst". Maybe you should hire a law clerk to proof read your posts.

I am slumming, for the most part.

Once again you insult us, yet wonder why some don't like you. Are you really that stupid?

You do not know me.

And thank God for that!

What have you done for the poor, the homeless, prisoners?

None of your business. No one here is accountable to you.

This site can do without me.

Yes, it can. You place far too much importance on yourself and your own accomplishments. Many on this site have accomplished many things, but unlike you, don't feel the need to brag constantly. You should try to keep things in perspective. Just like the rest of us, most of the 6+ billion people in the world have never heard of you, never will, and don't give a fuck for your opinions on any subject. Don't overestimate your own significance.

W
  • Violia
    Violia

Band

read this thread. This is why we all come here. This is why you are here too.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/members/private/209482/1/Dear-Simon

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

DO NOT FEED TROLLS! trolls. Everything Witness related is cursed.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    Reverse snobbery exists and I will not dumb down.

Hmmm now this implies that intellect equals snobbery, and vice a versa. I have to disagree. I think we have an immense collective intellect here, and only a little bit of snobbery. Sounds more like insecurity to me, a need to remind the audience of your accomplishments. You should just appreciate them for themselves, no need to be above others, that's an old JW meme.

I will bet heavy money that I have done more for the poor and oppressed than almost anyone.

I assume that means coins rather than bills, but I'm still gonna wager on say the Catholic Church, or Habitat for Humanity. Gandhi. Jesus!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

People make assumptions about lawyers. I became a lawyer b/c my mom was expelled from high school at fourteen for the flag salute. Because of the real persecution the Witnesses faced during WWII and the Cold War, civil rights were extremely important to me. I saw the Witnesses victory as proof that law worked. Jiustice prevailed. My profs would politely tell me that I was naive and the Court supported power far more often than civil liberties. I had rose colored glasses. My scholarship in law s chool was for public interest law. I was drawn to the progressive political movement in high school. My parents were always pro-union despite their Witness affiliation.

When someone tells me to do good, it justifiabaly annoys me. I volunteer for a disabled rights group now. As Adam Clayton Powell said, I've paid my dues. Most corporate law firms support pro bono cases. Indeed, almost all of the ACLU cases are argued by large law firms representing multinational corporations and foreign governments. No one else could afford to do so. More should be done. Very few lawyers are ambulance chasers.

I can understand that I am not everyone's cup of tea. Many people were gracious on this thread. What I do with panties is my business. My intent was to contribute personal experience that cannot be garnered from books. Just the same as everyone else here has done.I don't parrot slogans. My goal is to use what book knowledge I have and to add personal commentary. Part of my pet peeves is peope who just copy and paste. I can read text myself. What I can't do by myself is appreciate someone's unique stories.

Sadly, I see no way to unring the bell. Someone posted a similar thread within the past two weeks. In fact, I've seen at least two such threads recently. Some of those people were savaged. I don't exist for your approval. Indeed, another poster commented what a sad commentary the lack of love on this site is to those on the fence. It is treacherous. I can only imagine that the Witnesses trigger deep buttons. From the bottom of my heart, my purpose was to join a community, casually, and learn. Many people have sent private messages thanking me for my shares. This nastiness is not universal. I had no sense of how small the core group is here. It is the hottest board I've ever seeni. Newcomers do not know my story. I apologize for any part I had in miscommunication among certain people. This not the agape Paul wrote about so movingly. If I were a doubting Witness, such posts, the pizza toppings ones, the politcal ones that are nasty ( some of them are cool) would have me running back to the KH.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit