Are JWs the worst restaurant customers?

by Alfred 124 Replies latest jw friends

• jam
    jam

Blondie: Ok , I guess a pocket size book is of some value,,

to whom, who knows. Sick, sick sick.. Thanks blondie I

thought I remerber reading how cheap the WT is.

• rebel8
    rebel8

This x100.

Once I got ragazines for a tip and I plunked them right on top of the mashed potatoes & gravy as I was clearing the table. Right in front of the guy who left it. He said, "Oh I left that as a gift for you." I said, "Oh, I thought it was trash."

In the US a waitperson will lose in a federal audit if s/he has not claimed the expected tip as taxable income. So waitpeople essentially have to pay income tax on the tip you're expected to give, whether or not you give it. In the case of jws and other cheapskates, they have to pay for the privilege of waiting on you. I hope the dubs can sleep well at night knowing they screwed a person who lives below the poverty level out of $5.

They can all go to McD if they don't want to tip. No one is forcing them to go to a sit down restaurant, make a waitress pay to wait on them, and occupy a table that could have been a source of income for the wait staff and restaurant owner.

It's totally obnoxious.

• man in black
    man in black

But I remerber someone mention that JW,s left magazines for tips.

I dont know if it is written anywhere, but I remember back in the early 80's going out to lunch with several pioneers, and they would leave the latest placement ( magazine/tract/or brochure) for the waitress.

They said these things were worth more to the waitress than money, they would help her get everlasting life if she read them !

And they were dead serious also.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

*** km 4/07 p. 5 Follow the Christ by Manifesting Dignity ***
    Restaurants: In many places, it is customary to leave a 15 to 20 percent tip, depending on the service.

http://china-mike.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/tipping_is_not_a_city_in_china_bumper_sticker1-300x85.jpg

Watchtower Literature = Priceless Tip..

That should cover it..

.......................... ...OUTLAW

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Watchtower Literature = Priceless Tip..

I have never seen this done. If I was with someone who did this I would call them out on it, hard.

-Sab

• wasblind
    wasblind

Thanks to blondie we now know that literature left as a tip was not just an urban legend

Don't JW's know that tips make up part of the waitresses or waitors wages ????

how can that employee pay their bills with WT crap

• White Dove
    White Dove

I posted a no tipping rant about my aunt and her boyfriend.

Neither she nor he are JW's but it does make the point about poor or non-tipping customers.

Had another friend, non-JW, who tipped okay but would stuff all the condiments (jellies) from the table into her purse, while watching to make sure no one was looking.

Poor manners like these make me sick and embarrassed to be seen with them in public places.

But, wouldn't you know it? I got flamed like crazy here on JWN for coming off sounding like it was an obligation to leave a tip at all, instead of it being a choice.

Talk about splitting hairs. You live here. Tipping for good service is the custom. Don't like it? Don't go there!

It is the custom all over the U.S. to tip at restaurants, so I tip according to the recommended %.

I've gone out with JW's in large groups before but wasn't aware of the money goings on.

• jam
    jam

If you are A waitperson, write the society. Tell them

of all the customers, you as A whole are the cheapest

group. We receive mags in our homes from you people,

please do not leave mags or books for tips. When you

clean our windows, we pay in real money.

• Open mind
    Open mind

OUTLAW, good point on the unwritten vs. written rules of WTBTS.

The Kingdom Ministry quote allows a WT apologist to show how reasonable and contemporary JWs are with society in general.

I think many JWs find themselves in lower income brackets largely due to their WT-induced lack of education/careers. There is also a sense of "Why should I help rearrange deck chairs on the Titantic?" (i.e. This system's going down, so my resources are best used in Kingdom Service.)

In general I have observed JWs whose income level is anywhere from affluent to middle class (yes, they exist) leaving good tips. And before I get jumped on, I'm stating up front this is a GENERAL observation. Plenty of exceptions out there, I know.

om

• White Dove
    White Dove

That is my point, Wasblind.

It's okay for the employer to hire someone at lower than the minimum wage if that person will get tips that will raise it equal to or greater than the minimum wage.

It's not fair, because they are working (wages) very hard to make your experience a good one (tips).

Even with your tips, they still only make minimum wage or very little better.

I read the article that Blondie posted as showing that leaving literature for a tip is rude.

It's really telling, isn't it, when the literature has to tell grown people how to behave decently in public.

But, they grew these people themselves and now must act like the parents they forced others to see them as.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit