Are JWs the worst restaurant customers?

by Alfred 124 Replies latest jw friends

• clearpoison
    clearpoison

Reading all this makes me just love my cultural environment so much more. Service and all taxes statutory included in price and tipping is truly voluntary and not automatically expected. On the other hand I'm in trouble in other parts of the world.

But staying in subject, have been asked even here sometimes by brothers and sisters why I'm tipping (because the food was great or service outstanding!), they claim they would not do it even in their wildest dreams. However these are minority, thankfully. In overall I think it would be kind to make pre-booking for groups of over 6-7 persons.

CP

• jam
    jam

I have never had A problem with tipping, maybe because I

worked as A busboy in high school, so I know how hard

they work. But I do have A problem with the tip jar in A

place like Subway or if you order to take out.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

One thing rings true about this story, if nothing else:

- they DO tend to arrive in groups of 20 or 30, but divided into half a dozen or more cliques.

- cliques, who have Sweet Fanny Adams to do with each other the whole evening!

Bill.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Eating out in a large group was something we did regularly in Spain and in my experience JWs are tight and not just with their tips.

At the end of the meal, someone, usually an elder, would divide the total bill amount equally between the total number present regardless of what each person had. Even though I had no wine and my two children had the half price kiddy meals I was expected to pay the divided amount times three! No-one seemed to think this was unfair except me and when I objected I was accused of making a fuss and told "this is the way we always do it"!

When I went out with my neighbours and their kids the bill was automatically split between the adult numbers only.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

I agree Amelia, we would never order alcohol or appetizers, because it was just to expensive, and we would have to order the cheaper things on the menu. But others in the group would invariably order several drinks and the upper end items like steak and seafood, and then at the end want to divide it up evenly, because it was "easier".

Those times I would grab the check and say "math isn't hard give me a sec". Our share would be a fraction of what the others spent.

There was no way I was going to pay for the luxuries of others, when I did not allow myself or my kids to have them. And if I couldnt afford a decent tip, I would not eat there, theres always cheaper food if your strapped.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Aussies, correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that tipping in restaurants is generally not part of the culture there. The rest of the "worldwide brotherhood" has no excuse.

Yes, tipping is not expected although it is welcome. IF you tip, most will only tip 10%, more if you're in a fancy restaurant with exceptional service.

The thing is, food staff are paid more in Australia and have benefits, so tipping doesn't really considered part of their income.

I've worked in food service before, so I am sympathetic to what they have to put up with. Even with pizza deliverers, I'll round up the amount to the next dollar or two.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Tipping is more than just courtesy. Every year I go out with a group of old friends for a weekend of male bonding stuff. We look at old cars, eat chicken wings and back ribs, drink too much beer and generally have a good time. There was once we had a waitress who was obviously upset. About 5 minutes before we'd seen that some customer had complained about the service and didn't want to pay for the food. The manager convinced the guy that the food was good but agreed it was only the service that was bad, so just pay for the food and everything would be cool, which is what happened. No tip. One of the guys at the table asked her how much she was being paid per hour and it was pretty low. This was PA, maybe a decade ago. We gave her a good tip but in the long run it didn't make too much difference in her life. People who wait tables just don't get enough respect and those who make it worse for them are assholes.

my $0.02

• shamus100
    shamus100

They're pretty awful.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I am the ideal restaurant customer. I don't take very long to decide what I want. If I'm going somewhere with a large party, we call ahead first and reserve the space so they are not unexpectedly swamped. I leave a generous tip (usually 20% or even more). I never complain. I rarely ever get lousy service because I go out of my way to make the wait staff's job as easy as possible. Finally, I always leave immediately after eating, never sticking around taking up space.

Then again, that's just me.

• shamus100
    shamus100

I give 15% for pickup. But bah, why should I tip them? They're just walking corpses and I'll probably be living in their house after armageddon anyways. :D

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit