Are JWs the worst restaurant customers?

by Alfred 124 Replies latest jw friends

• Alfred
    Alfred

(A little background info before I ask my question…)

My sister-in-law (non-JW), who manages a popular chain restaurant near a Kingdom Hall, just found out that my wife and I have recently “faded”, so she decided to get something off her chest the other day… You guessed it: She wanted us to know that JWs are the worst customers ever! She then told us some really embarrassing stories about how JWs would request a table for 15 to 20 people (after a Sunday meeting) and then (when the bill came) some of the JWs would start deliberating amongst themselves on whether or not the waiter was “diligent” or not (to justify the low tip he was getting anyway). She explained how her waiters would sometimes argue over who had the last JW table. The very first time she interrupted two of her waiters during their argument (to find out what the fuss was all about), they basically told her that JWs take forever to decide what they want, ask way too many questions about the menu and, after overstaying their welcome, give very low tips.

She also mentioned that she especially dreads “Memorial” night because 35 or so JWs would suddenly show up at 9PM (when the restaurant is cleaning up just prior to closing for the day) and the restaurant employees would practically have to re-arrange the entire restaurant (only to set it up again for the next day). She never understood this since the party of about 35 usually had smaller “cliques” within the group (of about 4 to 5 JWs each) who only conversed with each other all night and practically ignored the other cliques sitting at the table. The only time the different “cliques” actually interacted with each other was when the bill (or bills) came so that one clique would not end up getting away with paying less than everyone else. Occasionally a brief argument would ensue over the tip amount and who should pay for what, but there was always a “father figure” (possibly an elder?) who kept the peace by kicking in a few more dollars (but never enough to reach the minimum suggested tip).

Anyway, she asked me if this is a common ritual among JWs (showing up in large numbers after a meeting or event and then leaving a small tip) or if this was just a “local” issue. Oddly, I didn’t think of this when she asked me the question but I recently read “Apocalypse Delayed” which touched on this subject (on page 87) where it states the following about the famous 1958 Yankee Stadium/Polo Grounds convention:

“But clerks, restaurant workers, and others were often happy to see Jehovah’s Witnesses leave. Their presence caused overwork and they were notoriously poor customers and tippers.”

So it appears that JWs have earned quite a reputation at restaurants over the years. So my question is this: Am I generalizing when I assume this is a wide-spread issue? Also… Does anyone here work at a restaurant which is occasionally visited by large groups of JWs? What has been your experience? Thanks!

• wasblind
    wasblind

Whenever we went to eat after an assembly or convention

a large group of us would go out to eat and the first one at the restaurant

would tell the waiter how many would be in the party usually for us it was

18-20 people, after being seated we did not order until everyone got there

but we were served drinks while waiting, I can remember waiting 45 mins

before ordering and spending a total of two and a half hours in the place altogether

talk about an exhausting day, whooo

• Botzwana
    Botzwana

Revealing some private info about myself here....I OWN a restaurant. What I can't stand is 30 will come in....ORder just coffee's or something small like that and then INSIST on seperate checks! Pisses me off.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Good Gosh Botz,

How long did they stay ?? if it was over an hour

they took up space from people who probably

would have paid some really good money to eat

a full course meal

• lifeisgood
    lifeisgood

I never did anything like this. I always insisted that anyone who went anywhere with me act like they had a brain, even if they had to pretend. I can remember idiots who insisted on checking, double checking, and triple checking the bill to make sure that they did not pay one penny more than what they were responsible for.

After a few times of this nonsense I just told everyone, "we divide the total bill + 20% by the number of people here, and each person pays that amount". Anyone who did not like this was welcomed not to go with me again.

I didn't do the "big mass asks for a single table" nonsense very often.

I am guessing that there are JWs who don't act like idiots, but I noticed that idiotic behavior was tolerated in a way that always puzzled me.

• WhatWasIThinking
    WhatWasIThinking

I noticed that they would often want separate checks. Instead of telling the server at the beginning, they would wait until one big check was brought out. On the few occassions that they didn't ask for the check to be split, they would figure out their bill to the penny and leave exactly what they owed plus whatever miniscule tip they felt the server deserved. I saw very few people leave an appropriate tip, most seemed to think a 10% tip was fine. Often I would see the total bill and leave a big enough tip to cover the entire group because I felt bad for the server.

They also take up large amounts of space and stay way too long talking. There is no need to sit in a restaurant for over an hour after the meal is done, all the while enjoying free refills, and then leaving a crappy tip.

I'd also see large groups ask if there was a minimum gratuity for a certain group size. If there was, they would break the large group up into smaller groups but ask to be seated by each other. So if there was automatic 18% gratuity for a group of 8, they would break up into groups of 7 and then wait until one section of the restaurant was empty so they could all sit within talking distance.

They are very demanding which I guess helps justify leaving a small tip in their mind. Sure, the service might not have been perfect, but when you have one or two servers trying to serve 30 people that ask a million questions sometimes they might forget which person ordered which drink. But imperfection is only a valid excuses for JW's.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

One of my cousin's who has been inactive for decades lives in a very rural area. One of the few businesses in town is a small restaurant. Anyway, she says that a big group of jws stays at a nearby campground every summer and spend their afternoons at this particular restaurant. They bring bag lunches and tea bags and only order hot water, so there's no bill and no tip. They crowd out paying customers, run the servers ragged with repeated requests for hot water, condiments, etc., and keep the restrooms filled to capacity all for free. Nice, huh?

• wasblind
    wasblind

Wow Jamie,

the owner of the place is kind, he should tell them

they must order from his establishment only or

else take thier bagged lunches to the park, how

is the owner to make a livin' servin' free hot water?????

• Open mind
    Open mind

Most JWs were actually born in Australia and then transplanted throughout the globe to do Jehovah's work of not tipping the "worldly" food service worker.

Aussies, correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that tipping in restaurants is generally not part of the culture there. The rest of the "worldwide brotherhood" has no excuse.

Thanks for sharing this experience Alfred.

om

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

A lot of JW`s in a Restaurant can be a Problem..

I remember one JW offering to collect all the money and pay at the Restaurant cash register..

Only to find out later,they used everyones Tip Money to pay for their Own Meal..

JW`s are not usually viewed as Valuable Restaurant Customers..

Most people are Happy to see them Leave..

http://www.carinsurancecomparison.com/Images/scrooge.jpg

.......................... ...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit