Are JWs the worst restaurant customers?

by Alfred 124 Replies latest jw friends

• VIII
    VIII

My Mother.

Ugh. It is embarrassing to go into a restaurant with her. She will order something, say it is wrong and then say she is a senior to get a discount. She will take the packets of sugar, salt, etc. Everything people have listed my Mom has done.

Tips? She does not believe in them. I will leave extra money because she will leave $1-2 dollars on a $30-40 dollar bill. She gets mad at me for leaving them money. I can't believe how cheap she is.

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

Ha, ha, ha, nice scene. The problem is...in Romania there is no taxation for a hypothetical income. There is taxation on any real income, but no tax on tips because you can't prove someone does get tips. All the tip goes to the waitress as a reward for being nice. For extra nice waitresses, like those mentioned in the cut from Tarantino's movie, I would tip somewhere between 50%-300%, depends on the bill.

2.35 an hour? This means around 20 bucks for a 8 hour day. In a 24 days-work month, they make 480 dollars. Do you know what was my salary when I was a government clerk? 400 american dollars per month and I have a master degree in administration! So if I ever come to America, I expect the waitresses to tip me, not viceversa!

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Which all goes to show, DagothUr, that the real correlation between tipping and non-tipping is the income of the patron, not the patron's religious philosophy. Not a whole lot of Jehovah's Witnesses are well off. Yes, that's a particular feature of a religion that espouses what it does, but it's the money in the pocket that determines the dynamic, not the nonsense in the head.

• carla
    carla

Romania huh? well, never mind then.

When I was waitressing I never knew if I should apply a senior discount or not. If you do you may insult somebody if you don't then they will ask why you didn't! So then I would ask if they had any coupons or other discounts even though I knew full well there were no coupons! of course then that opened a can of worms too! 'coupons? where?'

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I've seen and been both. When I was poooor pioneer I was a bad tipper. After I grew up and got a decent job I always tipped 20% or more. My thought was the tip was part of the price of the meal if I couldn't pay for it don't get it. I know one JW that ONLY gave 5$ regardless of what the bill was. If I was out with him I always gave a lot more to make up for it. My EX MIL was a witch when she went out. She would demand everything her way always sent the meal back... I'm sure she had her share of meals that were spit on. She tipped well but was not worth it. I never enjoyed the big group JW meals. It always seemed loud?

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

It doesn't bother me at all to give a tip according to the service given, matter of fact it wouldn't bother me to leave nothing....if a owner gripes about a group ordering coffee individually in a group they don't deserve my business..too many today just "Expect" something for nothing..like we owe the waiter/waitress anything..to me a tip is for above and beyond expectations..and yes I was a waitress way back when..

I think they should have a decent salary and not have to depend on tips.., the price of the food is high enough as it is in a restaurant..

Snoozy..who gets a senior discount when ever she can! And takes advantage of coupons when eating out..

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    There is taxation on any real income, but no tax on tips because you can't prove someone does get tips.

Technically, tips are taxed in the US. But whether or not someone actually reports them depends in large part on their hourly wage. If it's less than the minimum wage, they have to report them, because the presumption is that tips are part of your wages.

But when I delivered pizza, I didn't report them, nor did anyone else, even though they made up most of our income. We were making at least minimum wage. We list only the company we work for, not the actual job, and as you say, you can't prove whether or not someone gets tips.

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

I never send meals back except in an obvious case of something wrong with the food, which until now has not happened. I don't ask more than 1 or 2 questions and I take less than 3 minutes to decide what to eat. I never stay at the table after I finish eating. I dare say in my case a 1 dollar tip is enough.

• curiousconfused
    curiousconfused

This thread highlights the sort of thing that if you substituted "JW" for "Blacks" or "Jews" would leave everyone rightly gasping in disgust. There are plenty of bad tippers out there, with only 7M JWs, the vast majority are non-JW's. And i would argue against the suggestions that JW's are proportionatly meaner as well. I always tip well where its deserved, and fairly even when it isnt, and I would say this was typical with others JW's I know. This site is broad in scope, so I know it covers a lot of topics, but stuff like this is cheap, lazy and intellectually deficient. Thats all.

• tec
    tec

Young men on dates are the worst tippers, actually. (not all of them, but enough to notice)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit