Are JWs the worst restaurant customers?

by Alfred 124 Replies latest jw friends

• zeb
    zeb

correct tipping is not part of the culture here. Baristas and waiters are far better paid here I believe than in the US.

I agree with the jw-poor customer thing though. It often puzzled me that before every convention there would a service meeting part telling everyone to behave themselves in hotels, motels wherever. if these people were 'Christian' and there by respectful they would NOT need such reminders.

I have read of mums and dads going off to nightclubs after a convention and leaving there kids who ran amok through the hotel and having to be reined in.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

My worse restaurant experience as a JW was only about 2 years ago. One of our friends was getting married in a few days so about 30 of us got a table at a fancy Indian restaurant. We order food, drinks etc. Bill comes and we call decide to pay for the groom-to-be... except one guy doesn't want to chip in for the groom-to-be. Then, seeing as we'd each had the same amount of drinks each albeit different brands, we just decide to split the bill between 29 of us (that's all of us minus the groom). The same guy protests saying he didn't drink alcohol, only lemonade.

The waiters standing there waiting for someone to pay him. Then comes the best bit, half of them want to pay by card. So there's 29 of us forming a long cue with menus in our hands remembering what we've ordered and paying individually by cash or card. The poor waiter trying to add all this up on his iPhone calculator.

So 28 of us paid for our own food, plus the cost of the grooms food divided by 28. While the other guy his paying for just his naan bread, chicken bhuna and 2 lemonades.

When the bill's settled someone says "what about the tip?" so muggings here ends up forking out the tip because i cant stand the embarrassment any longer.

I vowed then and there i'll NEVER go to a restaurant with JWs again.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

I have eaten in groups both of Witnesses and non-Witnesses. I have never had such bad experiences as when with Witnesses and this goes back to when I first went out in groups of young ones 25+ years ago.

I recently made the statement that Witnesses are often as tight as a gnat's chuff and there is nothing like a group meal to bring that out. I've seen it time and time again and it continues. My daughter recently went out and a load left paid their "share" and left as soon as the bill arrived, leaving the table £100 short! As usual one person stumped it up and is now trying to get the cash back from a bunch of other people.

Friends of ours had a problem with just 4 people. They were out, everyone ate the meal with no complaints then one couple said they were only going to pay half because the meal was not what they expected. They stood their ground and let their "friends" stump up the excess to save any more embarrassment. Needless to say they've not eaten together since.

It's shocking, childish and embarrassing to see how poorly Witnesses behave in restaurants.

• dozy
    dozy

I generally avoided going out with a large group of JWs after a couple of bad experiences. Invariably there were a couple of the classic "welfare JWs" in any group meal who would eat very cheaply ( tap water / no starter / cheapest meal / no tip ) and insisted on the bill being split so they didn't overpay.

I remember being really annoyed when a sister organised a meal for 20 or so in the congregation then spoke to me as I arrived at the restaurant saying a couple of Bethelites were visiting the congregation and she had invited them to join the party and she had decided they could eat for free and everyone else would split the bill. The Bethelites absolutely milked the situation - had expensive steak , plenty of alcoholic drinks ( as anyone who has ever spent any time in Bethel knows , there is a big drinking culture there ) , dessert , coffee - you name it , they had it. Supposedly they were going to give "encouraging Bethel experiences" but like most Bethelites , they seemed very reluctant to say anything about life there.

Somewhat reluctantly I paid up , although one or two in the party were really annoyed and felt they had been set up , and it caused a lot of ill will. I made a mental note never to get involved in anything similar again.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

When I was in my early 20s and being very social I remember how so many of the young JWs were kinda out of place when going out to a restaurant, not knowing what to order and how to deal with the bill once in came as one check etc. It's as if they hadn't gone out to eat much at all growing up with their parents. I would usually handle the check take the money and kick in extra to make sure the tip amount was correct.

I remember one time going to a Chinese restaurant where it was the norm for each person order a dish and everyone share all the dishes ordered by putting some of each on your plate. All the JWs there ordered only one dish, sweet and sour chicken. It was just stupid funny.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit