The Danger of Credulous Research of Jehovah's Witnesses on the Internet

by Spade 101 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    Other religions small and large don't show the same integrity and Bible insight that they do.

For once, you're right!

Other religions aim to interpret the Bible with integrity and insight into what message the authors were offering, conscious of the differences in language and cultural context between us and people who lived in distant lands thousands of years ago.

Unlike them, the Watchtower Society interprets the Bible disingenuously, using strained translations of select, isolated verses divorced from their written and cultural context, all to support their unorthodox, anti-Christian doctrines. It is reprehensible that the Watchtower uses little snippets of scripture to completely subvert the message of the Bible:

• As we forgive those who trespass against us becomes Hate in the truest sense
    • Mosaic dietary law becomes a call to suicide/homicide by refusing/denying medically appropriate use of blood
    • Take and eat to have eternal life becomes Do not partake!
    • No one knows the date, save the Father alone becomes reliable biblical chronology
    • A warning to always be diligent, prepared and vigilant becomes an appointment as the faithful, discrete slave
    • I am the way, the truth and the light becomes the spirit-directed organization
    • Nobody comes to the Father except through Me becomes God's appointed channel
  • DanaBug
    DanaBug
    I have family members that are Jehovah's Witnesses. I can't honestly say Jehovah's Witnesses are a false religion. It's proud in my opinion to rant and rave about how you don't need God for anything. Other religions small and large don't show the same integrity and Bible insight that they do. They're not your typical cult as many here pass them off as. It's actually more disturbing that a forum that advertises itself as a neutral forum to discuss anything pertaining to Jehovah's Witnesses is 99% full of former members.

Spade,

They are a false religion. They pick scriptures that fit their beliefs and ignore the ones disprove them. Heck, they do that with most of the New Testament by claiming it only applies to the anointed. Just look a little closer. Where does the Bible say we have to be members of an organization or that our attitude towards the faithful and discreet slave determines our surviving Armageddon? Where does it say there are two classes of Christians with two seperate hopes? Where does it say you can not be part of the new covenant and have everlasting life? Show me one scripture that says any of that. And they themselves say they're not inspired, so why believe what uninspired men say over the Bible?

You may find it proud to claim you don't need God for anything, but that does nothing to refute what that person says at all. Ad hominem.

They don't have anymore biblical insight than any other denomination. In fact they have less because of the misleading methods and faulty logic they use and the scriptures they ignore. Where are the JW biblical scholars and theologians? Are they the ones writing the magazines and publications?

They are a typical cult. Their methods are less obvious to the unaware. But they fit the description perfectly. It's more disturbing to me that on a JW forum, very few Witnesses post here. And why is that? Are they instructed not to? Aren't they told former members are "feeding at the table of demons" and they risk their relationship with Jehovah if they associate with them? Guilt and fear. It's a cult, dear. I wish with all my being it wasn't. I have family in there.

Ten warning signs of a potentially unsafe group/leader.

1. Absolute authoritarianism without meaningful accountability.

2. No tolerance for questions or critical inquiry.

3. No meaningful financial disclosure regarding budget, expenses such as an independently audited financial statement.

4. Unreasonable fear about the outside world, such as impending catastrophe, evil conspiracies and persecutions.

5. There is no legitimate reason to leave, former followers are always wrong in leaving, negative or even evil.

6. Former members often relate the same stories of abuse and reflect a similar pattern of grievances.

7. There are records, books, news articles, or television programs that document the abuses of the group/leader.

8. Followers feel they can never be "good enough".

9. The group/leader is always right.

10. The group/leader is the exclusive means of knowing "truth" or receiving validation, no other process of discovery is really acceptable or credible.

http://www.rickross.com/warningsigns.html

• Spade
    Spade

DanaBug, that sounds like a description of Papal infallibility.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_infallibility

Papal infallibility is the dogma in Roman Catholic theology that, by action of the Holy Spirit, the Pope is preserved from even the possibility of error when he solemnly declares or promulgates to the universal Church a dogmatic teaching on faith as being contained in divine revelation, or at least being intimately connected to divine revelation.

jv chap. 31 p. 706 How Chosen and Led by God

How would true worshipers living in the time of the end be identified? Would they always be right, would their judgment be infallible? Jesus’ apostles were not above the need for correction. (Luke 22:24-27; Gal. 2:11-14) Like the apostles, true followers of Christ in our day must be humble, willing to accept discipline and, when necessary, make adjustments, in order to bring their thinking into ever closer harmony with God’s.—1 Pet. 5:5, 6.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Spade, are you posting this drivel to convince us or yourself? If it's to convince us you don't seem to be making any headway. If it's to convince yourself I'd say you're in the wrong spot. I think a kingdom hall would be a better fit.

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

So Spade - are you WILLFULLY sinning by posting on this site, or does that not apply to you, most holy one?

Also you said JWs are not your typical cult. Does that mean you are admitting to them being a cult, though not typical? WOW!! We established a common ground. Let's build on it.

And one more thing - very important - YOU SMELL LIKE FISH! (Childish I know. But I can't resist the name calling!) Carry on!

CoC

• Spade
    Spade

"Spade, are you posting this drivel to convince us or yourself? If it's to convince us you don't seem to be making any headway. If it's to convince yourself I'd say you're in the wrong spot. I think a kingdom hall would be a better fit."

I simply posted a logical response to what was stated. You're not honest mrsjones5.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

What am I not being honest about Spade? Explain.

Tick, tock...waiting to see if Spade get this lie straight.

• Spade
    Spade

Where does mrsjones5's indignation to the Watchtower Society come from? Let me guess...family if you were never baptized?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Well this wasn't very coherent. Why do I have to explain anything to you?

I know my reasons for being here. I'm not sure you know why you're here.

• Spade
    Spade

I'm sure you have nice parents mrsjones5. There's no place like home.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit