The Danger of Credulous Research of Jehovah's Witnesses on the Internet

by Spade 101 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• DanaBug
    DanaBug
    DanaBug, that sounds like a description of Papal infallibility.

Parts of it could be. At least the Catholics can trace it back to Peter and they are allowed to question and discuss doctrine freely. JW's choosing is invisible and they don't provide any evidence for it such as the spiritual food at that time that Jesus found worthy. They quote one parable from Jesus. I know they don't claim to be infallible. But think about it, if you make it known that you don't believe the generation is overlapping, what would happen if you're a baptized witness? If a witness says they don't believe this organization was chosen by Jesus in 1919, what happens? And then how are they thought of if they refuse to change their belief and get kicked out? Does any good person leave the JW's? If that belief changed later, would the df'd person be apologized to and welcomed back? How do JW's view the world and other Christians? Do they say you can read the Bible and understand it without their help? What do they say is the only religion that has the truth? What outside sources do JW's read regarding religion and the Bible? How many ex-JW stories have you read that have the same pattern of grievances? How many books, articles, and news shows have documented abuse, whether it's of a child or spiritual? And their Jonestown kool-aid is refusing blood transfusions. It's happens more slowly over a longer period of time so people don't notice it, but it's the same thing.

Just go over the list, one by one and see if it fits. If it walks like a duck...

• pirata
    pirata
    It's actually more disturbing that a forum that advertises itself as a neutral forum to discuss anything pertaining to Jehovah's Witnesses is 99% full of former members.

We would have more if Jehovah's Witnesses were allowed to participate in an online forum that frankly discussed beliefs.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

anything a person wants to find out about Jehovah’s Witnesses, they can find out from Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Could you direct me where I could find some information from the Jehovah's Witnesses or the Watchtower on why they filed a "friend of the court" in support of Jimmy Swagart? And then pulled out when I was forced to pay tax?

Could you direct me to where I could find out where they published an answer to why they joined the UN as a NGO?

It's been MY experience that JW's no the LEAST about their organization. They are in the dark and have no idea what the GB is up to. Their research goes no farther than their current WT.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

brotherdan, I was told by a JW who posted a comment on my blog that the reason why the WT joined the UN was to use their library. Yes, because there are no other good libraries in NY

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

Freeze,

You know that's a baldfaced lie, right? The Dag Hammarskjöld Library does not require registration as an NGO for it's use and it didn't between '91 and 2001 either.

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

Privates Larsinger and OBVES, where are you when we need you?! Come and give them some suppressive fire and 1 or 2 smoke canisters!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I don't normally bother with 'debate' type threads but I'll give my tuppence ha'penny.

The original argument is very 'Watchtower News Speak'. IE. Polarizing things to an 'US vs: THEM' no middle ground argument. This is how the Watchtower works. It gives 'Hobson's Choice', only 2 alternatives, choose 'A' or 'B', there are no other options. Whereas, there are always other possibilities 'C' 'D' 'E' etc, etc.

That's all I'll say and I won't be on this thread again!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

First I want to say thank you to Punkofnice for giving me the gift of a term I had never heard before.

It gives 'Hobson's Choice', only 2 alternatives, choose 'A' or 'B', there are no other options.

Actually that would be a 'false dilemma' where only two choices are considered when there are many other options. 'Hobson's Choice' is a free choice in which only one option is offered, basically 'take it or leave it'.

I love learning something new.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I said I wouldn't be back on this thread but I'll break my promise for Mrs Jones.

Firstly: You're welcome.

Secondly: Being a Brit we do come out with some strange expressions.

Anyway I'd like to sing you a song: 'MeeeEEEeee and Misssssusss Jonnnnnnnnnneesss......'

Hope you're not offended, just a bit of fun. Unky Punky.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Thank you for the giggle. I love british humor.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit