The Danger of Credulous Research of Jehovah's Witnesses on the Internet

by Spade 101 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• pirata
    pirata

Yes, there is biased and/or distorted information, both from the JWs and the exJws.

The power lies in being able to see the facts presented by both sides to get a more balanced picture. That is practically impossible for the average JW who equates reading any critical information with feeding at the table of demons and apostates.

When the Organization learns to trust the brothers, let them see the information out there, discuss it, honestly address it, and let the brothers use their god-given thinking and reasoning abilities, then the internet will cease to be a danger to the "Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses". I would think, should that happen, we'd probably see more than a few reforms in the religion.

Until then, the internet is the most effective way of finding out the "other" side of the story.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

pirata - "When the Organization learns to trust the brothers, let them see the information out there, discuss it, honestly address it, and let the brothers use their god-given thinking and reasoning abilities, then the internet will cease to be a danger to the "Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses". I would think, should that happen, we'd probably see more than a few reforms in the religion."

Never gonna happen at this point; WTS ideology is way too entrenched.

• bohm
    bohm

spade, can you point out just one factual error on jwfacts.com?

i can point out error after error in official wt litterature.

ofcourse you conclude that we should trust the wt, and distrust well-researched websites like jwfacts...

• TD
    TD

You make a good point Spade. Lots of Rutherford's critics today make a big screaming deal over his Jubilee cycle calculation and the building of the California mansion called Beth Sarim to house the more notable Biblical characters after they were resurrected. They paint him as a misguided fanatic teetering on the edge of being certifiable.

Proclaimers honestly acknowledges that Beth Sarim was a winter home built for Rutherford with donated funds. It's opulence coupled with a second Cadillac Phaeton (Which Proclaimers doesn't mention) were entirely for his benefit.

Of course, living the lifestyle of a corporate magnate at the very height of the great depression is exactly what a few of his contemporaries like Saltar and Schnell criticized him for. --So the apologist today is faced with a tough choice.

• Hoffnung
    Hoffnung

Hi Spade, If your behind this article on that website, you make some very interesting statements to say the least, unfortunately not all that honest. Let me quote:

It's been my experience so far, that anything a person wants to find out about Jehovah’s Witnesses, they can find out from Jehovah’s Witnesses. Any and all information ever published by Jehovah Witnesses is accessible to all.

If that is true, then why does the WT Library CD-ROM does not contain the books & bound volumes from before 1950? Why are they not present in the KH libraries? Why is the Aid-to-bible-understanding not on the cd-rom, nor the organization book (which you only can obtain once you express your desire to become a publisher), nor the Shepherd-the-Flock book or the Pioneer book? Quite recently I was discouraged by a close family member from looking into older publications from the society, repeating the society's viewpoint. Why does the society discourage people from looking into their own history?

Good educators present all sides of an issue and encourage discussion

So where is your presentation from the non-JW side of the discussion? I am afraid you have called yourself a bad educator. Just as TD mentioned, Rutherford had quite a bad health, and therefore spent the winters in California.

I am a Witness for decades, as are my parents. Having gone to all the meetings in all these years, having spent many days in building Kingdom Halls & Bethel homes, having an elder as father and being an appointed man myself, has learned me very little about Jehovah's Witnesses throughout the years. I learned a lot more in the last few months doing research on the internet.

• metatron
    metatron

Sir, it never fails to amaze me how astonishingly hypocritical and lying Jehovah's Witnesses can be.

The Watchtower Society plainly and clearly told young people in 1969 that they would never grow old in this system , nor fufill any career it has to offer.

They lied.

These 'seared in the conscience' frauds are now lying again to a new generation.

metatron

• TMS
    TMS

"It's been my experience so far, that anything a person wants to find out about Jehovah’s Witnesses, they can find out from Jehovah’s Witnesses"

This is ineffective trolling, at best. How much does the average JW know about the history of the religion or the developing beliefs?

• VM44
    VM44

"It's been my experience so far, that anything a person wants to find out about Jehovah’s Witnesses, they can find out from Jehovah’s Witnesses"

But not necessarily at the publisher level. Read the following BOE letter concerning academic researchers.

Christian Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses
    2821 Route 22, Patterson, NY 12563-2237
    Phone: (845) 306-1100

April 25, 2001

TO ALL BODIES OF ELDERS IN THE UNITED STATES

Dear Brothers:

Recently, academic researchers who say that they are interested in conducting surveys of religious community activities have contacted the elders of a number of congregations. Since there is a need to be careful about the nature of surveys and how such information will be used, we are providing direction for a qualified elder representing the congregation to follow, provided your congregation is asked to participate. Some of the points to have in mind are as follows.

When approached by researchers, the elder should treat them kindly, and he may listen to what they have to say. It would be well to find out what university or group the researchers represent and determine just what information they would like to have. If there are survey forms, it might be kindly explained that Jehovah’s Witnesses have considerable information in their publications that would no doubt answer some of the questions they are asking. The elder could provide such researchers with a copy of the brochure Jehovah’s Witnesses Who Are They? What Do They Believe? On page 13 of the brochure, the basic beliefs of Jehovah’s Witnesses are listed together with the Scriptural reasons for those beliefs. We accept the Bible as the inspired Word of God. It is the basis for all our beliefs and teachings. It is reliable, whereas tradition is not.

Inquiry might be made about such matters as having a paid clergy class, the racial makeup and diversity of the congregation, the volunteer nature of our ministry, and the unity of our congregations. On page 13, column 2, of the above-named brochure, we have listed our belief that a clergy class and special titles are improper. If a topic is raised that is not specifically covered in the brochure, reference can be made to the Reasoning book, such as the portion on "Races of Mankind," starting on page 300. On page 304, reference is made to Acts 10:34, 35 showing that God is not partial. So Jehovah’s Witnesses do not discriminate against individuals because of race, language, or social standing. On page 305 the first paragraph points out that the oneness and unity of early Christians was a reality, and so it is today within the organization of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

If a question comes up on the subject of neutrality, that is also covered in the Reasoning book. And if an inquiry is made about how we view marriage, not only are there Scriptural references in the Reasoning book but the book The Secret of Family Happiness can be offered to the researcher.

The benefits to the community of our Bible educational ministry are also highlighted in other publications as well as in certain videos. The global scope of our activities is highlighted in the annual Yearbook, which includes a chart that sets out what is being accomplished in over 230 different lands. In addition, reference can be made to the Watchtower Society’s Web site so that the researcher may have access to a wide array of information, all of which explains the Scriptural basis for the position that Jehovah’s Witnesses take on vital issues.

This approach is far more advantageous in giving a witness and providing information than having various members of the congregation taking the time needed to fill out survey forms carefully and accurately. While in some instances we can cooperate with research projects including surveys we certainly want to avoid having publishers expressing personal viewpoints that may not be in line with the Bible principles that really govern each Christian’s conduct and the united efforts of the brotherhood to carry out Jehovah’s will.

If researchers or others approach elders seeking information and some issues come up about which the elders are not certain, they should not make any comments. Rather, these inquiries should be referred to the Service Department, at the address above, for attention.

We are confident that this direction will be sufficient for you to provide an appropriate response to anyone who approaches the congregation with an inquiry or survey about the work we do in the community and worldwide. May Jehovah’s spirit be your guide in caring for this matter as well as in all that you do in His sacred service.

Your brothers,

Christian Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses

• bafh
    bafh
    " The abuse of alcohol is condemned in Jehovah's Organization and this fact can be ascertained by getting to know them as individuals."

uh, some of the biggest alcoholics and alcohol abusers I know are JWs. It's the only "legal" vice they have besides coffee and food. They have a reputation for heavy drinking and gluttony. Anyone else notice how many severely obese people are sitting on the floor in wheel chairs or lawn chairs at the conventions?? They even made a resolution one year at the end of the convention that we wouldn't be gluttons.

yeah, sure. whatever .

• Mickey mouse

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit