The Danger of Credulous Research of Jehovah's Witnesses on the Internet

by Spade 101 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• garyneal
    garyneal
    So far I don't go door-to-door. It's actually easier to stand out as different here than to go door-to-door, but this doesn't count as "time."

Yes, it is pretty anonymous here rather than showing your true face door to door, isn't it?

• wasblind
    wasblind

Spade said: "It would be nice if other defenders of Jehovah's Witnesses participated here. Seems awkward "

who shall I call for ya ? Hey Doubtfully, DeeDubbs, come help a brotha out !!!!!!!

They won't help cause your not and never was a Witness

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Where's Botzwana?

• Open mind
    Open mind

• They sift the facts, exploiting the useful ones and concealing the others
    • They also distort and twist facts, specializing in lies and half-truths

Plenty of posters on this board do exactly that.

And plenty of other posters, who aren't quite as foaming-at-the-mouth ticked off at the Organization, set the record straight when someone goes too far overboard with inaccurate exaggerations. (Blondie springs to mind as the patron Saint of JWN fact-checking.)

I used to spend quite a lot of time in my early days here correcting blatant misstatements by other posters. Why?

Because a JW who is having doubts will DESPERATELY look for and cling to the slightest misstatement of fact as evidence that the entire argument is specious. The JW true-believer is INCREDIBLY biased. (Actually this applies to all "true-believers".) Someone who challenges their world view must be 100% accurate. If they make even a single slip-up, the true-believer will throw out their entire argument because they are so heavily invested in the idea that they have THE TRUTH.

Carry on Spade.

om

• Botzwana
    Botzwana

Right here Poopsiecakes! What's going on?

• flipper
    flipper

SPADE- You said " there are real problems with some former members ". Your statement : " They distort and twist facts, specializing in lies and half-truths. " Uh-huh.

Let me read you a scripture to show you WHO is " distorting and twisting facts, specializing in lies and half-truths. " Jesus words at Matthew 24 : 34 states, " Truly I say to you that THESE OVERLAPPING GENERATIONS will by no means pass away until all these things occur. " Oh, I'm sorry- YOUR Bible DOESN'T read that way ? That's right- Matthew 24 : 34 really reads, " Truly I say to you that THIS GENERATION ( singular ) will by no means pass away until all these things occur. "

I forgot- the 1st version I quoted you is taught now by the WT society as Bible truth ! In the Watchtower magazine - NOT the bible ! So you say we EX-Witnesses are DISTORTING FACTS ? I think you need to re-analyze your statements. Think about it

• VM44
    VM44

"A noteworthy fact is that Rutherford lived to the age of 73 in good health"

Rutherford died from cancer and suffered greatly from it.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    There's no way to know for sure if J.F. Rutherford ever abused alcohol but this is one item of interest that opposers capitalize on and they do not present both sides of the story.

Actually the "other" side of the story (CJ Woodworth's response to Salter) offers some of the strongest testimony that Rutherford drank a lot; he did not deny Salter's allegations but rather justified Rutherford's drinking as treatment prescribed by Rutherford's chiropractor (i.e. Alta Eckols in San Diego). This dovetails with what Penton relates re the woman who worked in the pharmacy in San Diego where Rutherford received great quantities of liquor.

Woodworth calls Salter a hypocrite not for making up facts about Rutherford's drinking but for finding fault with it. Because Woodworth was a hostile witness, what he tacitly admits is quite credible. I'm glad to learn I'm not among the "opposers" since I've always presented Woodworth's side of the story.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

* They also distort and twist facts, specializing in lies and half-truths
    A good example of this are statements about Joseph Franklin Rutherford (8 November 1869 - 8 January 1942), the second president of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society

Forgetting about the first president of the organization is a notable example of the Watchtower's habit of re-writing inconvenient parts of their story. William Conley was the first president, and also provided the majority of the financial backing in the early days.

Presidents of the IBS/WTBTS:

1. William Conley (1881-1884)
    2. Charles Russell (1884-1916)
    3. Joseph Rutherford (1917-1942)
    4. Nathan Knorr (1942-1977)
    5. Fred Franz (1977-1992)
    6. Milton Henschel (1992-2000)
    7. Don Adams (2000-present)
  • Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

The assertion that Hitler only had one ball is incorrect but the veracity of it does nothing to diminish the role he played in a terrible war and as such was an utter b*****d.

Religion is all about deceit at a fundamental level. Each religion starts with the premise that it is correct and then like a virus uses strategies to spread itself. Religion does not care who dies as long as it's message propagates (major religions are often spread by conquest while minor religions will glory in allowing individuals to die over insignificant points of doctrine.) The most successful propagating religions are the most wiling to resort to deceit. Mormons have been successful at proselyting but they do so by hiding early history (Joseph Smith coerced married women to sleep with him under the cover of spiritual marriage) , by employing unsustainable behaviours(new members get love bombed and many visits from missionaries) ,removing where possible former relationships deemed unacceptable ( no living with your unmarried partner even when kids involved), pushing science where it backs your beliefs (Lds very proud of the abstinence from all alcohol even though the actual 'revelation' actually says they should drink beer!) but railing upon the majority of science that exposes flaws ( for years evolution and an old earth were bitterly attacked from Mormon pulpits) and finally deceitfully picking and choosing which scriptures / scriptural interpretation to privilege and claiming that god gave them the authority to do so.

Religion is just a big lie wrapped up in a set of rituals adhered to by people who are generally unwilling or unable to engage in critical thinking regarding their own beliefs. The Emperors Clothes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit