Jan. 15th WT- Go to Meetings to Fight the Blues- Eliminate other Activities

by flipper 103 Replies latest jw friends

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

FLIPPER: I give you credit for being able to read that crap. Once I 'faded' I refused to read their garbage because I wanted to purge my mind of all the propaganda. I realize you are doing it for our information and I thank you. And, after reading your excerpt, all I can say is "what utter bullshit". They are SO insulting to everybody's intelligence. There is an expression in the world "don't piss on my head and say it is raining". This is exactly what they do. Believe me, my mental health improved tremendously when I stopped going.

• Coffee House Girl
    Coffee House Girl

Hi Flipper, they've been playing this same old song and dance for ages...and now that I am separated from that nonsense and can look back on my life in jwland,

I remember those constant articles aimed at barating jw's over and over for "never doing enough"- they just made me increasingly more numb inside- I got to a point where any of the theocratic activities I partook in had no emotional meaning for me...I was just going thru the motions of service, meetings, superficial personal study (aka..underlining paragraphs in my WT)- I got so tired of feeling like I was never good enough that I shut myself down inside.

It has taken me a year or so to wake myself up to focus on issues, stir up a passion inside of me regarding issues that matter to me- such as ideals of democracy and social ethics- the all inclusive idea that we must work together in cooperation as a community to improve our community- this all inclusive idea I was never allowed to entertain as a JW, I feel a beating in my heart and wheels turning inside my brain which make it so easy to wake up in the morning, just to find out what's next in life....not just the same old borring message.

CHG

• Reopened Mind
    Reopened Mind

Flipper you really nailed this one.

I remember the circuit assembly TotallyADD is talking about. I was on the same part as Super Elder. My experience seemed insignificant compared to his. I, too, felt discouraged as I felt I was doing all I could to pioneer, make all the meetings and raise our 2 boys.

As an aside, if God was going to let us know that Armageddon was "close" or "soon", why is it close on his time schedule and not on ours? After all we only live 70 or 80 years on average. "Soon" to us would not be 130 years or more. When we promise our five year old a trip to the park we don't mean when he turns 50!

• cult classic
    cult classic
    " His ( Apostle Paul's ) point was that we must avoid NEEDLESS PURSUITS , needless weights , that will tire us out.

Man am I sooo glad to be away from their crap!!!! It never occurs to the witnesses that they need any and every thing except their hyped up theocratic activities. How many of them could use a yoga class to get in tune with themselves? It would be healthier to go to the gym 2/3 times a week instead of those stupid meetings. An interesting hobby would go a long way in getting the stick out of their A$$es too!

I remember being so stressed out after meetings due to the gossip and backbiting. And being held up as an example most of my life was definitely a NEEDLESS WEIGHT that tired me out.

WTBTS has taken away anything that would helps cultivate a sense of self.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

Translation : If you are young or old and suffered life threatening strokes, heart attacks, or other physical ailments - it's MORE important to use your energy for meetings and field service - NOT say physical rehabilitation, therapy , medical attention for healing. If the experience of Stephanie doesn't show how uncaring, unfeeling and self serving the WT society and JW cult is towards it's members - then I don't know what else does.

Flipper....Great thread as usual!

The whole objective of the WTS is to make you feel like you're never doing enough,blame you for your own spiritual weakness,blame you for ''reading into things'', ''running ahead'',and having ''bad associations''.

My uncle is around 90 years old.He can't hardly walk,suffers from heart disease and has bad circulation in both legs. He never goes out to any family functions but makes it to every meeting and auxilary pioneers.

My mom is in a wheel chair and makes it to every meeting and does phone service every Saturday just so she can get in her hours. Every time I take her to the Doctor she always leaves 2 magazines around so she can claim magazine placements.

• clarity
    clarity

Hi Flipper,

When I was working full time to keep a roof over my head, those nuts almost drove me over the edge. So much pressure to get to meetings, 'cause surely I could try harder! (after commuting for an hour, I got home by 7:00 - guess I could just skip supper & change my clothes at the hall!)

So when the guilt got too much, yes I could. But that was just not sustainable over the long term without a collapse!

Then when I made extreme efforts(usually sick as a dog!) to get to the meetings they said, "no sense in coming to meetings if you're not going to go out in service!"

No matter what, you were wrong and needed to do MORE always MORE.

And never offer a helping hand either (that's your problem) or a 1.00 for a burger if you were starving!

Funny thing, in my life I had panic attack episodes only twice. Once when I was being sucked into this cult, and once when I tried to escape!

clarity

• man in black
    man in black

Oh man, what an excellent post. You really hit the mindless / endless walking on the wtbts treadmill.

I have put much of my "extra time" into worthwhile pursuits that ARE important, one example is having trained my dog to go visit patients in the hospital,

young children in phy. therapy, and old people in nursing homes. Worthless pursuits ?? After seeing the adults and children smile, laugh, or cry after we visit

there is no way that could be lumped together with "worthless things"

Thanks for posting your observations Mr. Flipper, and now dude lets go bowling !

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

LOL at Outlaw's "little card." Does the guy/gal in the coma keep counting time and someone turns in their report for that?

• Evidently Apostate
    Evidently Apostate

almost every JW i know from 16 to 60 is on some anti-anxiety or depression medicine i would be willing to bet the watchtower has stock in big pharma.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

The meetings weren't refreshing to me. Never. i never grew to love them. I had my moments, but... I hated them. I was tired. I sat at a computer all day. I wanted to move or rest. In the summer, i wanted to walk to the local icecream shop and just breathe the air. In the winter, I wanted to change into jammies and snuggle with my dogs and watch TV.

Anxiety ruled my life. I would be SO happy on NON-meeting nights. it was such a relief. I could go home and just take a time out. I had to take anxiety meds before EVERY meeting, cuz I didn't get any DOWN FREAKING TIME! My brain started rushing, and I went through a time when they gave warnings about wrong doing, I started imagining that I was guilty of all of it. I learned there was a term for it---hyper something. It was HORRIBLE. In the course of a meeting, I could work my thoughts until I became convinced I was even blood guilty. Or a fornicator, Or an idolator. NO DOWN TIME

We had a CO very firmly tell us that he knew we were tired, BUT IT WASN'T THE CHRISTIAN CONGREGATION FAULT! It was the worlds! Therefore, meeting attendance and F FING S shouldn't have to suffer. Cuz they weren't making us tired.

I don't need anti anxiety meds anymore. I don't wake up in middle of the night sure I'm about to be destroyed. I don't obsess on some small action until I'm convinced I'm responsible for someone's death. Nothing. I don't have to spend all my time finding my faults, and they have grown smaller.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit